PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 - some errors

abra1
April 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I am no computer wizard - so take all this with a grain of salt. I also need some help ... .
Firefox Namoroka/3.6.4pre was causing me problems and I did not manage to downgrade, so I decided to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 which used Firefox 3.6.3.

A clean install of the 10.04 beta2 went fine and Firefox 3.6.3 worked fine as expected. All needed files which I had on Karmic did fit on a USB stick and were downloaded to the new dist with no problem except for some .txt files which got corrupted.

A few of the .txt files I managed to save by changing the .txt to .cvs extension but some just continue to be corrupted- these were text files with no extension visible - hope that somebody can help here.

As to the new beta version of Lucid Lynx, if any inexperienced users (like me ) are considering to install it at this early time, you should be aware that there are many updates both for the Manager and for the Synaptic Package Manager - I get them like twice daily.
Additionally, Computer Janitor is busy removing unneeded packages - at least daily.

Hope that somebody can help me recover the .txt files

mikewhatever
April 15th, 2010, 03:50 PM
In short, an inexperienced user should not install pre-release software. ;)

abra1
April 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I am sick of dumb ...

mike,
but if you're that experienced, why don't you try to answer my question?
Of course, you would need to actually first read the post and understand why the upgrade was done.

BTW, quotation from your post "I am sick of dumb ... " seems to describe you very well...

Glugglug
April 15th, 2010, 04:16 PM
In short, and inexperienced user should not install pre-release software. ;)

It's not in the spirit of Ubuntu to be sick of dumb questions it's all about community , love, peace , pink flowers and fluffy kittens.

mikewhatever
April 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM
It's not in the spirit of Ubuntu to be sick of dumb questions it's all about community , love, peace , pink flowers and fluffy kittens.

Read it again. I believe there are no dumb questions, but there certainly are very bad, dumb and non-descriptive thread titles. Note, thread title != question.

mike,
but if you're that experienced, why don't you try to answer my question?
Of course, you would need to actually first read the post and understand why the upgrade was done.

I'd very much like to answer your questions, but there is not a single question mark (you know, ?) in your post.:)

BTW, quotation from your post "I am sick of dumb ... " seems to describe you very well...

Yes it does, and perhaps making a partial quotation is the thing describing you well.:P

Take it easy, you two.

abra1
April 15th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I am sick of dumb .... ;)
mike,
You still did not read it
You're looking for a question mark and have plenty of time to post meaningless entries and harvesting 'beans'.
I think that you should change the 'of ' to an "and" in your post and that would describe you better.