PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] If I install 10.04 Beta2 will it be automatically upgraded?

c0dehunter
April 15th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hello, I am wondering wheter the system will upgrade itself to stable when stable version comes out (in 14days) from 10.04 LTS Beta2, if I install it now?

Or will I have to reinstall kubuntu then?

ihmemies
April 15th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Hello, I am wondering wheter the system will upgrade itself to stable when stable version comes out (in 14days) from 10.04 LTS Beta2, if I install it now?

Im wondering this too, but in theory upgrade should work fine.
What Im worried is that installing Beta and then upgrading it to LTS will leave some junk on my system? Problem is, I really need to reinstall my system, and see no point going to 9.10 for few weeks and upgrade that, so thinking of installing Beta 2 and upgrading that.

Any Ubuntu gurus, that wanna give their insight on the subject?

Edit: Well, I should have searched better, it seems this question has been asked quite a few times before! I guess its OK to install Beta 2 and upgrade it to Final release then.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1454741

beta.tester
April 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Im wondering this too, but in theory upgrade should work fine.
What Im worried is that installing Beta and then upgrading it to LTS will leave some junk on my system? Problem is, I really need to reinstall my system, and see no point going to 9.10 for few weeks and upgrade that, so thinking of installing Beta 2 and upgrading that.

Any Ubuntu gurus, that wanna give their insight on the subject?

Edit: Well, I should have searched better, it seems this question has been asked quite a few times before! I guess its OK to install Beta 2 and upgrade it to Final release then.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1454741

Hi

I am learning as much as you are :)

However if you install from the betas and keep on doing all the updates, when the Release is here it will be the same as you will have on your system :) ie by applying all the updates you will have the Release version :)

Keep on Ubunting, kind regards john

kellemes
April 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Assuming you have a stable system running.. I'd stick with it and wait for the official release. Beta is still beta and not ready for production use.

tommcd
April 15th, 2010, 04:15 PM
If you install U/Ku/Xu/buntu (or any of the *buntus) from the beta version, then you can just keep getting the updates and you will roll right into the stable release when the stable version of 10.04 is released.

Remember though, that a beta version of an OS can be expected to have a few bugs that should be corrected before the final release.