PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can we please have a Start-Disk?

longbeard
April 15th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I am largely fed up with the Linux world. Believe it or not: I never had a running Linux distro (!), although I tried hard on various brands and must have invested man-months to get one running. Best results I still had with Ubuntu (must have been a 6.x version) but it failed to connect to the Internet with no solution available.

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 and everything went fine with installing, except that the system doesn't load (never get a GRUB screen offered). Just the same as with the 8.x versions, by the way.

-->> So my plead is: CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A WORKING START-DISK?

It should be possible to integrate a simple tool into the Ubuntu installation disk, lets call it "Boot System Tool":
- investigate all drives and detect bootable partitions
- offer user a nice menu with bootable partitions (names or types if available)
- let user select one partition (optionally insert start parameters)
- start selected bootable partitions on user's choice

This doesn't seem asking too much and would prevent hours of assistance work needed on the support fora. Cheers!

beta.tester
April 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I am largely fed up with the Linux world. Believe it or not: I never had a running Linux distro (!), although I tried hard on various brands and must have invested man-months to get one running. Best results I still had with Ubuntu (must have been a 6.x version) but it failed to connect to the Internet with no solution available.

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 and everything went fine with installing, except that the system doesn't load (never get a GRUB screen offered). Just the same as with the 8.x versions, by the way.

-->> So my plead is: CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A WORKING START-DISK?

It should be possible to integrate a simple tool into the Ubuntu installation disk, lets call it "Boot System Tool":
- investigate all drives and detect bootable partitions
- offer user a nice menu with bootable partitions (names or types if available)
- let user select one partition (optionally insert start parameters)
- start selected bootable partitions on user's choice

This doesn't seem asking too much and would prevent hours of assistance work needed on the support fora. Cheers!

Hi

Welcome to Ubuntu with all its joys and foibles :) Have you ever considered using super Grub? It is a downloadable .iso that you make a cd from and boot from it?

May not be exactly what you are asking for, but may solve the problem you have.

Keep on Ubunting and kind regards john

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

longbeard
April 15th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Thank you very much, this is the first good notice I get! ;)
Indeed it helped me out of calamity, although - as you said - it isn't exactly what I have spoken of. It is a shame that such a simple and user-friendly tool is not available yet in the age of advanced information technology.

Now at least I can run Ubuntu. Next I have to dackel over to the Networking Help section, as I cannot use my PPPoE protocol modem for DSL (although Netdiagnose reports an existing Internet connection - weird!)

Thanks again!

beta.tester
April 15th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Thank you very much, this is the first good notice I get! ;)
Indeed it helped me out of calamity, although - as you said - it isn't exactly what I have spoken of. It is a shame that such a simple and user-friendly tool is not available yet in the age of advanced information technology.

Now at least I can run Ubuntu. Next I have to dackel over to the Networking Help section, as I cannot use my PPPoE protocol modem for DSL (although Netdiagnose reports an existing Internet connection - weird!)

Thanks again!

You are very welcome. I guess one day that option will come hopefully :)

Keep on Ubuntuing and kind regards john