PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] system keeps crashing, please help

meomike2000
April 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM
i installed ubuntu 9.10 few months ago and all has been working well till couple days ago. now when i open something it will exit on its on normally as soon as it is done loading. when i try to install or remove anything from the command line or through the gui, dpkg crashes....

can somebody help me find the problem and get this fixed....

also, if the app that i open dont close, if i open it again after i close it, it will close on its on......

meomike2000
April 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM
also i found i have 1 broken package, firestarter , and it is missing menu.

i tried to remove and error, said to reinstall before trying to remove, so i tried to reinstall and it errors...

this is the details

(Reading database ... 40%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: files list file for package 'python-gmenu' is missing final newline
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2) A package failed to install.

thanks again mike.....

meomike2000
April 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
ok used the recovery console and got the firestarter issue fixed, this hadnt worked the first few tries, i would get the same error....

but the reason i was istalling firestarter was due to the page closing problem, it was doing this with firefox only at first.

so still need some help please, mike

iponeverything
April 15th, 2010, 08:34 AM
/var/lib/dpkg/info/python-gmenu.list

Is corrupted. Delete it and do:

sudo apt-get install python-gmenu --reinstall

meomike2000
April 16th, 2010, 05:18 AM
i got the corrupted file fixed with the reinstall of firestarter from the recovery console. but i still need to get the original problem fixed and that is whatever i have open just closes on its on and goes back to the desktop... it is not always sudden though normally, sometimes it is delayed by a few minutes....

any help with this issue would be great.....

meomike2000
April 17th, 2010, 12:10 AM
well, i think that i found the problem, it appears to be a bad memory stick, as i take out that stick and the problem seams to go away......

thanks mike....