PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Weird (?) Install problem

socal986
April 15th, 2010, 06:58 AM
My first attempt into the linux world here...

anyway, I installed Ubuntu using Wubi, seemed the easiest method. Restarted the computer, and selected the Linux boot option. The screen immediately goes white, and streaks of color start decending from the top of the screen about 1 pixel wide. Goes on until the screen is full, then the computer shuts off.

So... ok. What's up?

garvinrick4
April 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
My first attempt into the linux world here...

anyway, I installed Ubuntu using Wubi, seemed the easiest method. Restarted the computer, and selected the Linux boot option. The screen immediately goes white, and streaks of color start decending from the top of the screen about 1 pixel wide. Goes on until the screen is full, then the computer shuts off.

So... ok. What's up?
Go into Windows in C: drive and go into Ubuntu right next to Users in C: and use uninstall
to get rid of install.

Now what Windows version are you using? What Ubuntu version did you download?
What type of Computer have you got?

socal986
April 15th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Oh.. I think you answered my question by asking something obvious. I have a 32 bit version of windows, and I think Wubi downloads/installs a 64 bit version of linux by default.

I'll try reinstalling with the correct version, but in the mean time to answer your questions.

Dell Studio 1535 running Vista 32 bit

easy2bid
April 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I also have this problem.

garvinrick4
April 15th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Oh.. I think you answered my question by asking something obvious. I have a 32 bit version of windows, and I think Wubi downloads/installs a 64 bit version of linux by default.

I'll try reinstalling with the correct version, but in the mean time to answer your questions.

Dell Studio 1535 running Vista 32 bitthat is OK if your machine is 64 bit capable.
download whatever one you want and BURN a CD of it. Do not use the direct download.
Then put cd in tray select WUBI and answer the 2 questions and install it. But nicer to have
a burned cd of it than direct download.

socal986
April 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Well, tried downloading the 32bit. Same issue.

Since I have the iso downloaded, I guess I'll give that a shot (burning then installing)... At this point I should just install directly from the disc rather than bothering with Wubi. Since the idea of that program is to make it easier to install linux. But oh well, I'm determined to figure this out. lol.

socal986
April 16th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Ok, I burned the iso to a disc, and booted from it.

Same problem!

It goes to the language select screen, then the install options, then the white screen with the lines.

What is weird is I can hear the sounds as if it is loading into the OS, but I can't see the desktop...

any ideas?