PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] active background

cschamber
April 15th, 2010, 04:18 AM
i'm curious, I've never seen one. but is there such a thing as an active background.
let me explain what i'm looking for. i'm looking for a GUI where the back ground IS the web/system browser and you would open up anything else from a menu bar at the top or bottom of the browser.
i know i'm probably confusing the hell out of you, but the thing is backgrounds are useless when it could BE the browser and you can open up other programs from a file menu. if any one understands what i'm talking about and can help me find one. let me know. thanks

your friendly new Ubuntu user
Chris

easy2bid
April 15th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I also wanna find it...

_0R10N
April 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Although I don't see the need of such a thing, I've to admit that it's something that worths to see. I don't know any application that meets your description, but there're several gadgets and screenlets that you can add to your desktop that allow you to search either your filesystem or the internet.

Kind regards!

_0R10N >>

cschamber
April 16th, 2010, 04:07 AM
yea, im guessinng that such a thing im asking for does not exist at the moment,guess ill have to figure out how to build one :), but in the meantime could you tell me the name and link of some gadgets and the screenlets you are refering to and the instructions on how to install them, thank for the help and i hope we get some more feed back on this thread, im interested to know is such a program even exists, if not, it might be worth a programmers time to play around with the subject :).

Dayofswords
April 16th, 2010, 04:16 AM
ahhhhhh

similar to active desktop huh(a windows feature)

cschamber
April 17th, 2010, 12:48 AM
yes and no, that opens a seperate browser to navigate the internet, you have the idea, but im looking for it to BE the web browser and system browser at the same time as your own start up page that sync's on start up, but you are very close to what im looking for.