PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Yay Wireless/Madwifi Issues!

jeffrey296
April 15th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Ok, so I know a billion people out there have wireless issues when it comes to linux and I know there are about a billion solutions, but I've been browsing around for hours (actually months if you include the down time when I gave up hope) and still have found no solution.

So here I am! Coming to you, the gurus of the internet in the form of Ubuntu Forums with my problem (and relevant information):

I have a Compaq Presario C700. My chipset is an AR5001 from Atheros (gathered from lspci). My wireless used to work with madwifi drivers, but at random boots the computer would not recognize the modules and the wireless would not work at all. Eventually, it stopped working for good. I just recently (today) downloaded the madwifi-0.9.4-r4126-20100324.tar.gz from Madwifi and used make and make install (and modprobe ath_pci) -- still no wlan0, wifi0 or ath0 in ifconfig.

Kernel version: 2.6.31-20-generic
Ubuntu distro: 9.10 (Karmic Koala, I think)

Before trying the above steps, I ran aptitude update and aptitude install build-essential.

One more note: whenever I run make install, I get a warning somewhere that says something like WARNING: -e needs -E or -F.

Any help would be appreciated, and I can provide more information on request.
Thanks all.