PDA

View Full Version : Stupid laws in your area.

themarker0
April 15th, 2010, 01:22 AM
In my city its illegal for a darker skinned man, to walk out at night. Its not enforced but it stands :/

Whats some of your cities/provs(states)/countries stupid laws.

Benchamoneh
April 15th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Just a couple from the UK.

It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.
Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned.
A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants.

t0p
April 15th, 2010, 02:32 AM
In most (all?) EU countries, it's illegal to smoke tobacco in all kinds of places. Pubs! It's illegal to smoke in pubs!

Absolutely ridiculous. I can pickle my liver in vodka but I can't smoke a ciggie. Crazy.

dragos240
April 15th, 2010, 02:35 AM
In most (all?) EU countries, it's illegal to smoke tobacco in all kinds of places. Pubs! It's illegal to smoke in pubs!

Absolutely ridiculous. I can pickle my liver in vodka but I can't smoke a ciggie. Crazy.

Second hand smoke is very bad for others. It can give other people cancer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I need to post about laws in my area too...... nah. Massachusetts is VERY liberal.

Yes
April 15th, 2010, 02:43 AM
EDIT: Oh yeah, I need to post about laws in my area too...... nah. Massachusetts is VERY liberal.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/massachusetts

-grubby
April 15th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Here's some Washington State laws:

A law to reduce crime states: “It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.

When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed.

All motor vehicles must be preceded by a man carrying a red flag (daytime) or a red lantern (nighttime) fifty feet in front of said vehicle. (this one was probably relevant over a 100 years ago. Not now.)

All lollipops are banned.

Frogs Hair
April 15th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Snowball fights have become illegal , no projectiles with in city limits and no beer in city parks . If you want to grill out with family or friends and have a few beers in the park , you must do it in the next town.

cariboo
April 15th, 2010, 02:50 AM
According to this (http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AjXwSJtxGc), it's all a conspiracy.

I grew up in Nanaimo BC, the main street in the city center is pretty crooked, if I remember correctly the longest straight section was a block and a half long. It's probably still illegal to drive that street in a car without a horse with a red flag leading the car by ten feet.

t0p
April 15th, 2010, 02:51 AM

I don't see how that's relevant. No one has to breathe near me.

Oh yeah, another stupid law: in the UK there's a 70MPH speed limit on motorways. Of course very few drivers actually take any notice of that, but the police enforce the limit very arbitrarily. One cop will ignore the fact people are speeding, another cop will pull them over and give them a ticket.

Another silly UK law: it's illegal to sell an air gun by mail order. "Face to face" sales only. And you're not allowed to sell airsoft weapons that are black in colour. They have to be bright green or something, supposedly so no one can use them to scare people. But how hard is it to paint an airsoft pistol black? Silly laws.

p_quarles
April 15th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Oh yeah, another stupid law: in the UK there's a 70MPH speed limit on motorways. Of course very few drivers actually take any notice of that, but the police enforce the limit very arbitrarily. One cop will ignore the fact people are speeding, another cop will pull them over and give them a ticket.

Speed limits have been pretty well proven to reduce injuries and deaths associated with motor vehicles. To me, a "stupid law" is something that is unenforcable or nonsensical, not something that you just happen to disagree with because you'd rather not comply with it personally.

And yes, enforcement is often up to the discretion of individual officers who may prioritize things differently. That doesn't make the law itself stupid.

lisati
April 15th, 2010, 03:06 AM
It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

I wonder what the penalty for getting caught doing this is. :)

TheNerdAL
April 15th, 2010, 03:12 AM
In my city its illegal for a darker skinned man, to walk out at night. Its not enforced but it stands :/

Whats some of your cities/provs(states)/countries stupid laws.

Ohhhhh...Thas' Racis'!!

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 15th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I don't normally reveal my current place of residence; however, here are some laws from Texas, USA. They include the City within Texas where the law applies.

Wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket. (Austin)
It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster. (Clarendon)
Churches, hotels, halls of assembly, stores, markets, banking rooms, railroad depots, and saloons are required to provide spittoons "of a kind and number to efficiently contain expectorations into them." (El Paso)
Landing an airplane on the beach is illegal. (Galveston)
Any person who sits on a sidewalk may be fined up to $500. (Galveston)
It is illegal to drive a motor car down Broadway before noon on Sundays. (Galveston)
Drivers of city vehicles must respect all traffic rules just like the rest of us. (Harker Heights)
It is illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday. (Houston)
Beer may not be purchased after midnight on a Sunday, but it may be purchased on Monday.(Houston)
It is illegal to take more than three swallows of beer while standing. (LeFors)
It is illegal to drive within an arm's length of alcohol - including alcohol in someone else's blood stream. (Lubbock County)
It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts. (Mesquite)
Obnoxious odors may not be emitted while in an elevator. (Port Arthur)
It is now illegal to place a "for sale" sign on a car if it is visible from the street. (Richardson)
Cattle thieves may be hanged on the spot. (Temple)
You can ride your horse in the saloon. (Temple)
Owners of horses may not ride them at night without tail lights. (Texarkana)

t0p
April 15th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Speed limits have been pretty well proven to reduce injuries and deaths associated with motor vehicles. To me, a "stupid law" is something that is unenforcable or nonsensical, not something that you just happen to disagree with because you'd rather not comply with it personally.

And yes, enforcement is often up to the discretion of individual officers who may prioritize things differently. That doesn't make the law itself stupid.

Most drivers I know admit that they break the motorway speed limit. Regular motorway users break the speed limit regularly. Most drivers I know think the limit should be increased.

If a majority of motorists break a law regularly, I reckon that makes the law pretty dumb. And the inconsistent enforcement demonstrates that many cops also think it's dumb. Otherwise they'd be more keen to enforce it.

I know speed limits serve an important purpose wrt safety. I don't have any problem with speed limits per se. Just stupid ones, like 70MPH on motorways. And 30MPH in built-up areas, that's stupid too. But for the opposite reason: 30MPH is too fast in areas where children might be playing in the streets. Make the limit 85 or 90MPH on motorways and 20MPH in residential areas, that'd make more sense.

p_quarles
April 15th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Most drivers I know admit that they break the motorway speed limit. Regular motorway users break the speed limit regularly. Most drivers I know think the limit should be increased.
Okay, but this is anecdotal evidence of the highest order. Moreover, where I'm from, it's common to exceed the posted speed limit by about 10 mph on highways (American for motorways), but no more. So, the posted limit does actually affect how people drive. That being the case, the correlation between a posted speed limit and safety statistics becomes a causal relationship.

If a majority of motorists break a law regularly, I reckon that makes the law pretty dumb. And the inconsistent enforcement demonstrates that many cops also think it's dumb. Otherwise they'd be more keen to enforce it.
The fact that a cop thinks a law is dumb is no more compelling than the fact that anyone else thinks it's dumb. The question is whether or not the law protects people. In the case of speed limits, statistics show that laws regarding this protect people.

I know speed limits serve an important purpose wrt safety. I don't have any problem with speed limits per se. Just stupid ones, like 70MPH on motorways. And 30MPH in built-up areas, that's stupid too. But for the opposite reason: 30MPH is too fast in areas where children might be playing in the streets. Make the limit 85 or 90MPH on motorways and 20MPH in residential areas, that'd make more sense.
Again, the fact that you disagree with the SPECIFIC speed limit posted in a certain area, and that you think it's safe to go faster than that posted speed limit in that area, does not make the law dumb. It's hardly the equivalent of a prohibition against dying in parliament, for instance, which was the first example given in the thread.

kaldor
April 15th, 2010, 04:32 AM
"A law to reduce crime states: “It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town."

hahaha, I loved that :D

Edit:

"It’s illegal to climb trees." -Dumblaws' Canada list

BS!

kevCast
April 15th, 2010, 04:36 AM
No marijuana. :(

WinterRain
April 15th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Can't buy beer here on sunday. Stupid.

Khakilang
April 15th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Death penalty I presume.:lolflag:

the yawner
April 15th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Beer may not be purchased after midnight on a Sunday, but it may be purchased on Monday.(Houston)

What. Do you have another law that defines when does Monday start?

user1397
April 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Florida law states: you can't buy liquor past 11pm and you can't buy beer after 2am...and you cant buy either on a sunday...

meh...

Endomancer
April 15th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Down here in Australia you may never leave your car keys in an unattended vehicle.
It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burglar.

Under Australian Communications Authority (ACA) regulations, a modem can’t pick up on the first ring.

Only licensed electricians may change a light bulb.

It is illegal to wear hot pink pants after midday Sunday.

You must have a neck to knee swimsuit in order to swim at Brighton Beach.

Until the Port Arthur Killings it was legal to own an AK-47 but not legal to be gay.

Lawmakers are proposing a new law that will not allow anyone to come closer than 100 meters from a dead whale’s carcass.

oobuntoo
April 15th, 2010, 07:59 AM
It is illegal in Toledo, Ohio to park on gravel or anything unpaved, even if it's in front of your own home, such as your driveway.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/national_world&id=6867187

themarker0
April 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM
In the town beside me, i found a goodie. Its illegal to shoot seaguls on the beach with a paintball gun.

cascade9
April 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM
No marijuana. :(

Annoying, isnt it? :(

Illegal to drove cattle down the queen st mall.

Cabs are required to carry a bale of hay in the boot (thats trunk for you US people). BTW, that is (was?) an english law as well.

You cannot ask somebody if thier father was a criminal.

Down here in Australia you may never leave your car keys in an unattended vehicle.

In the door, IIRC.

eriktheblu
April 15th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I'm licensed by the state to carry a sidearm in public, on the street, in shopping centers, just about everywhere.

But it's a felony to take it on the bus.

Simon17
April 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM
In the great state of South Dakota, where I did my first year of college:

If there are more than 5 Native Americans on your property you may shoot them.

If three or more Indians are walking down the street together, they can be considered a war party and fired upon.

This is in the state where schools and public offices must close on Native American Day (SD has Native American Day instead of Columbus Day).

swoll1980
April 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
It is illegal in Toledo, Ohio to park on gravel or anything unpaved, even if it's in front of your own home, such as your driveway.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/national_world&id=6867187

Here in Mentor, Ohio it's illegal to park on your lawn. Go figure. Also your grass has to be kept under 6 inches long. Both offenses will cost about $125

blueturtl
April 15th, 2010, 09:38 PM
In Finland it is illegal to own a television set without having a subscription to the "government cable company". This means if you own a TV just to watch the free (commercial, or ad-sponsored channels) or DVDs you still have to pay for the unused subscription.

Everyone without a logged subscription gets regular visits from "TV inspectors" who will try to get you to confess that you own a TV but just haven't reported it yet. Law doesn't require you to let one in, so the enforcement is pretty hit and miss (depending on if you can lie about it with a straight face or just keep them from entering your home).

They're currently working on changing the law so everyone will have to pay. Owning a TV will no longer be necessary. Also they will bill same amount from everyone regularly regardless of income!

This is legalised mafia!

doas777
April 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM
in my town it is illegal to dance after 2AM. the law wasn't enforced for about a century, but during the late ninties, the cops started using it to attack the raver community.

doas777
April 15th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Here in Mentor, Ohio it's illegal to park on your lawn. Go figure. Also your grass has to be kept under 6 inches long. Both offenses will cost about $125
I've passed through mentor, and it seems clear to me why parking on the lawn is illegal. I suppose they could have made a distinction between "parking" and having a junker on blocks in the yard, but lawyers have this bad habit of kibitzing about fine points of interpretation, while at the same time drafting laws in vague broad reaching langague.

doas777
April 15th, 2010, 09:43 PM

Tea and cake, or Death. you choose.

Frak
April 15th, 2010, 10:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4852288&categoryid=null

markp1989
April 15th, 2010, 10:28 PM

the main reason people complain about the 70mph speed limit on uk moter ways is because it was brought in during a fuel shortage like 30 years ago when not many cars could do 70 confortably, and they still left it, and on a moterway a 70mph speed limit is pretty stupid

weichimaster
April 15th, 2010, 11:58 PM
It's legal to shoot a Scotsman in York in the UK, using a bow and arrow.

Except on Sundays, of course.

chriswyatt
April 16th, 2010, 12:11 AM

I'm not a smoker but I do miss the smoky atmosphere. Lots of things can give you cancer, living near powerlines can give you cancer. My grandad always had a pipe in his mouth and he never got cancer :).

I can see both sides of the argument really, you should be able to go to a pub and not have to breathe in tobacco if you don't want to. I can understand that, still miss smoky pubs though.

earthpigg
April 16th, 2010, 01:28 AM
a new dumb law.

In South Carolina, if you plan to overthrow the government, you must first fill out the appropriate paperwork and pay a $5 registration fee (http://rawstory.com/2010/02/south-carolinas-subversive-activities-registration-act-force/).

pdf of the form at link.

-humanaut-
April 16th, 2010, 01:35 AM
In Jefferson County Colorado you can get arrested for "walking and weaving" Basically if you walk home from the Bar instead of driving they can arrest you for blowing higher then an 0.08! So basically if you drive you go to jail or if you do the right thing and walk home you go to jail its RIDICULOUS.

-jay-
April 16th, 2010, 01:38 AM
in my town if you throw a water balloon at somebody its considered assault & battery with a deadly weapon

mamamia88
April 16th, 2010, 01:40 AM
it's illegal to buy alcohol on sunday in indiana. doesn't effect me much since illinois border is walking distance from my house but still annoying

spcwingo
April 16th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Here's a link to the dumb laws from my neck of the woods:

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/alabama

doas777
April 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
a new dumb law.

In South Carolina, if you plan to overthrow the government, you must first fill out the appropriate paperwork and pay a $5 registration fee (http://rawstory.com/2010/02/south-carolinas-subversive-activities-registration-act-force/).

pdf of the form at link.

actually, that story was misreported. there is an old law on the books that requires them to register, or face a 25k$ fine. this new law repeals it.
http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-03-02/news/18371962_1_state-legislators-communists-south-carolina

nothingspecial
April 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM
In the Uk we have "alcohol free zones", usually in town centres, designed I presume to discourage teenage drinking on street corners and such.

Nothing wrong with that........

......until it is applied literally.

My local newspaper reported recently on a gentleman who nipped out to his local off-license to purchace a four pack of larger.

When offered a plastic bag in which to more easily transport the beers, he considered the impact that plastic bag might have on the environment and declined.

During his stroll home he walked through an alcohol free zone, where upon two eagle eyed police constables, stopped him and, because they were in full public view, instructed the gentleman to dispose of the contents of the four cans down the drain.

He wasn`t drinking them, they were not even open.

If he had taken the plastic bag then he wouldn`t have had to do that, but he could have caused the destruction of the planet.

Now, that is a stupid law.

cespinal
April 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
In Venezuela, its is illegal to insult the president through the media. (But he loves insulting everyone every sunday)

It is also illegal yo buy liquor on holidays

donkyhotay
April 16th, 2010, 02:44 PM
It's illegal to hunt from your car (except for whales) in tennesee. It's illegal to buy ice cream on sundays in some parts of oregon. I have also heard that the extermination order (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extermination_order) making it legal to kill mormons in the state of missouri was rescinded because someone successfully used it as a legal defense to get away with a murder.

Doctor Mike
April 16th, 2010, 03:08 PM
There was a law in my town that appeared stupid and racist. No black person could remain within town limits after sundown. About thirty + years ago the local paper got wind of this (it was still on the books) and it was seen as dark cloud in the town's history. In the last couple of decades much of the history of the underground railroad has been made available to the public.

It seems that many towns along the route of the underground railway (and alternate routes) had similar laws. The laws were a smoke screen to discourage bounty hunters from seeking slave bounties in those towns. Bounty hunters would often arrive in sizable (well armed) groups demanding cooperation and threatening to shoot up the town if they tried to hide runaway slaves.

If bounty hunters showed up, the town's authorities could show that they, not only didn't support sheltering runaway slaves, but had laws against it. Many small black communities developed short distances away from these towns and the black history there is nearly as old as the towns themselves.

So, a stupid law with an intelligent purpose...:)

donovan1983
April 16th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Colorado has more than its share of dumb laws, mainly thanks to the so-called Blue Laws that remain on the books for no good reason.

Up until July of 2008 it was illegal to have a liquor store open on Sunday. Ironically, the liquor store owners were the ones most against being open on Sundays since it's an extra day they have to pay to be open for.

A liquor store cannot sell food or other groceries, and a grocery or convenience store (generally) cannot sell any alcohol except beer not exceeding 3.2% ABW (roughly 4% ABV).

A liquor store owner cannot operate more than one location. It is possible for a grocery store or other retailer to have a single location licensed for selling full-strength beer, liquor, and wine. But only one.

In some cities in Colorado they define "public intoxication" as either just a nuisance or an offense. So staggering home from the bar (you know, the safe and sane thing to do) instead of driving can land you in detox or jail.

It is illegal to buy or sell a motor vehicle on a Sunday. The car dealers have fought against having this law repealed, just like the liquor store owners did.

agnes
April 16th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Some laws are really weird :lolflag:

What some pub owners here do, is make a separate room in the pub that is "officially" not part of the pub (so you can't order alcohol there) but is connected via a door to the "real" pub. Sometimes that seperate smoking room is larger than the "real" pub.

Some national rules here:
- Downloading music and movies is legal but uploading is illegal. Torrents are in the :confused:-zone.
- No beer allowed in coffee shops.
- Illegal to call non-handsfree while driving/riding, except on even the most crappy bicycle.
- Illegal to organize commercial gambling games. There is only one casino, from the state.
- Illegal to own Mein Kampf, but reading it or lending it from the library is not.
- Sometime in the seventies/eighties is was legal for adults to have a sexual relationship with a kid >= 12 years old, as long as the kid didn't went to the police.
- In Amsterdam in has been illegal for a while to drink beer while you were standing. (Now it's legal again as long as you stay on the terrace.)
- Euthanasia for the severe sick is possible, but not euthanasia for people in a severe/endless coma: because the person themselves should explain how badly they want and need euthanasia, and in coma, you can't do that of course. Even if they should have written in their diary "I would want euthanasia if I ever got in coma" and all the family agrees, the only legal thing is let them starve to death. Which is very lengthy and painful of course, also for the family to watch it.

Edit: I forgot the fact that nobody is allowed to hunt, except the Queen and her family. Also, nobility can't be inherited from the female line, except of course when you're from the Queen's family. So all noble people will slowly extinct except their family.

blueturtl
April 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM
More stupidity from Finland:

If you buy a copy protected media it's illegal for you to replicate it's content (read override the copy protection) even for personal use.

This means a copy protected CD is not legal to rip for personal use on a PC or MP3 player for example.

gjoellee
April 16th, 2010, 10:40 PM
This is not from my area as i cannot find ant weird laws from Norway:

In Nevada it is illegal to ride a camel on the highway
In Arizona, donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs
It is illegal to fish in the Ohio-river in Kentucky without a fishing-permit from Indiana
In some state in the USA, you are not allowed to sexually pleasure a drunk fish

beetleman64
April 16th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure about Scotland, but in UK law it is illegal for an MP to wear a suit of armour in the House of Commons and it is illegal to impersonate a Chelsea pensioner.

avaralom
April 16th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Well, the only stupid laws I can come up with on the top of my head are the liquor laws (go figure).

In Pennsylvania, you can only purchase wine and 'spirits' from a state-owned and operated liquor store, which consequently is not open on Sundays or very late at night. I also can only purchase my beer at either a distributor (who sells only beer/soda usually) in a case, or at the bar. In a very overpriced six pack.

Oh, this one is a winner too because it's still actually enforced : "Fireworks stores may not sell fireworks to Pennsylvania residents."

They set up stands every July near the state lines - so all our neighbors can come buy the fireworks that are illegal in their own state, but we can't.

cariboo
April 16th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I was just at the office supply store where I bought a 6 pack of canned air, the cashier jokingly asked me if I was over 17, as they can't sell air to anyone under 17.

Frak
April 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I was just at the office supply store where I bought a 6 pack of canned air, the cashier jokingly asked me if I was over 17, as they can't sell air to anyone under 17.
Not like you have to be under 17 to have a great time.

p_quarles
April 17th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Yep. Sniffing air is probably some new way of getting high. :D

DM was on fire!
April 17th, 2010, 01:50 AM
In South Carolina, horses cannot be kept in bathtubs.
I am absolutely serious.

louis--taylor
April 17th, 2010, 02:11 AM
in England, no one is allowed to eat swans, unless you are the Queen or a member of St. Johns collage, at cambrige university

koleoptero
April 17th, 2010, 02:43 AM
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/greece
First law says it all.

dragos240
April 17th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I dare you to play a video game.

doorknob60
April 17th, 2010, 03:27 AM
In Oregon (from this site: http://www.stupidlaws.com/laws/united-states/oregon/):

A door on a car may not be left open longer than is necessary. (huh?)

Babies may not be carried on the running boards of a car. (why would anyone do that??)

Ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays. (I've done that countless times, and think I'm gonna do it this Sunday after reading that :P)

You may not pump your own gas in service stations. (Yeah, my dad hates this one lol, but this one is statewide, all gas stations have people to pump the gas for you)

And people, stop complaining about 70 MPH on English motorways. In Oregon, on Interstates the most you can go is 65, but the worst part, on non interstates (no matter how straight, safe, etc. they are), it's 55. Period. Washington and California aren't like this. Speed limits should be based on how safe the road is, not whether or not it's an interstate. And unfortunately, in Bend it's all US highways...Also most other states don't let you go much past 70 on Interstates (a few states have a few sections of 80, and some have 75, but for the most part not)
Example (google street view): http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.000841,-121.328888&spn=0,0.154324&z=13&layer=c&cbll=44.000606,-121.329006&panoid=iS0kpwpfNnZiIvxwtQHIDg&cbp=12,25.57,,0,5

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Yep. Sniffing air is probably some new way of getting high. :D

:O Oh snap! *Sniffs air*....It's not working. :lolflag:

3rdalbum
April 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM
In Australia, it's illegal to give piggyback rides on the shoulder of a freeway.

It's also illegal to claim to be a member of the SAS between the hours of 10pm and 6am.

And in Western Australia, it's illegal to sell a spatula in a triple-storey shop that employs more than 9 people, on a Sunday, unless the shop is within 5kms of the mouth of the Swan River or 5kms of the widest point on the North side. Unless you have a permit.

Many of those "dumb laws" that people quote are actually sensible laws, but stated in ridiculous ways. Think about my examples and you'll see what I mean.

Want to see a real dumb law? In Western Australia, if someone breaks into your home and steals all your money, and then the Police find the thief and the things they bought with your money, then you don't get ANYTHING back. That's right: The Police sell the things that the thief bought, but they keep the money.

Another dumb law: In Western Australia, if your mechanic decides to drive your car at 200kph and gets caught, your car gets impounded. Or, if you work at a car dealership and someone takes a car for a test drive and gets caught doing burn-outs, the car gets impounded. It doesn't matter that the offender was driving your car; YOUR car still gets impounded. If it's the third time that the person was caught hooning, then your car gets taken away from your permanently.

Terrible laws.

alexfish
April 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Death penalty I presume.:lolflag:
Don't be daft there is no death penalty in UK

So here is what happens

Die in the Houses of Parliament ( illegal )

Get taken to court { suitably attired }

Protest your innocence { have it pre recorded for obvious reasons }

Get found guilty by the Jury

Accept the Judges sentence , as you have no choice { make sure you get a lenient one, talk to your lawyer , maybe he could make a donation out of your last will and testament , hopefully get a reduced sentence }

Serve your sentence { don't forget in this state you will not be able to work any more, so it will be free board and lodgings}

When released from prison , go directly to the department of unemployment and claim all the benefits available including any death benefits.

PS

Ensure to keep hold of your NI card in case you fall sick and need a DOCTOR !!! :P

starchaser1
April 17th, 2010, 12:31 PM
In Florida, sex with porcupines is illegal.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/florida?page=0

d3v1150m471c
April 17th, 2010, 12:33 PM
In tennessee it's illegal to walk around with ice cream in your pockets. Personally I think such an offense should render a firing squad.

stuart.reinke
April 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I don't normally reveal my current place of residence; however, here are some laws from Texas, USA.....

Cattle thieves may be hanged on the spot. (Temple)......

[/LIST]

This seems like a perfectly reasonable law to me.

alexfish
April 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
In Florida, sex with porcupines is illegal.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/florida?page=0

Sensible law unless your a masochist

What do they say about skunks ?

blueturtl
April 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Yet more stupidity from Finland:

Private property is double taxed when owner dies. If your parents buy a house for example, they will pay the value added tax as well as other taxes that might apply to home owners. When they die and you inherit the house, the value of the property you claim will be determined and you will pay taxes on that property.

This means many hard working people lose their property to the state because they cannot afford to pay the taxes for it. :(

edt: To clarify, in the case of a house -- what would happen is that you would be forced to sell it just to cover the taxes from it. The government wouldn't just claim all of it. This would be sad if you actually wanted the house.

dwarfolo
April 17th, 2010, 01:31 PM
In Finland it is illegal to own a television set without having a subscription to the "government cable company". This means if you own a TV just to watch the free (commercial, or ad-sponsored channels) or DVDs you still have to pay for the unused subscription.

Everyone without a logged subscription gets regular visits from "TV inspectors" who will try to get you to confess that you own a TV but just haven't reported it yet. Law doesn't require you to let one in, so the enforcement is pretty hit and miss (depending on if you can lie about it with a straight face or just keep them from entering your home).

They're currently working on changing the law so everyone will have to pay. Owning a TV will no longer be necessary. Also they will bill same amount from everyone regularly regardless of income!

This is legalised mafia!

Yet more stupidity from Finland:

Private property is double taxed when owner dies. If your parents buy a house for example, they will pay the value added tax as well as other taxes that might apply to home owners. When they die and you inherit the house, the value of the property you claim will be determined and you will pay taxes on that property.

This means many hard working people lose their property to the state because they cannot afford to pay the taxes for it. :(

edt: To clarify, in the case of a house -- what would happen is that you would be forced to sell it just to cover the taxes from it. The government wouldn't just claim all of it. This would be sad if you actually wanted the house.

That's incredible!!! ... here in Italy we always look to North Countries as being more "regulatory evolved" then us. Looking at the two laws above, I can tell you that we have exactly the same regulation on these matters.

And yes, in Italy mafia is legalised :lolflag:

p_quarles
April 17th, 2010, 04:44 PM
In the US, freedom of association is enshrined in law, so no one would ever be arrested for belonging to a mob-type group. Most of what they do is still illegal, but the groups themselves are legal in the US as well.

Japan probably has the most permissive approach to organized crime. There, the crime gangs are regulated, follow rules about what they can and can't do, own offices, and pay taxes.

praveesh
April 17th, 2010, 05:19 PM
There is no any stupid law in my area !!!!

Frak
April 17th, 2010, 05:24 PM
You haven't looked hard enough.

Doctor Mike
April 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
You haven't looked hard enough.I think he might mean all laws being stupid... don't know though...:confused:

praveesh
April 17th, 2010, 05:36 PM
You haven't looked hard enough.

I don't think so . Many of the stupid laws listed were created centuries ago . The constitution in my area was created on just less than 70 years ago .

jflaker
April 17th, 2010, 05:41 PM
In Pennsylvania
-It it illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors. <-Evidently, this was an issue at some point

-Any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue.

-Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes.

-All fire hydrants must be checked one hour before all fires. (Danville) <--Interesting! But how would you know?

click4851
April 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
hate crime laws

blueturtl
April 17th, 2010, 08:37 PM
That's incredible!!! ... here in Italy we always look to North Countries as being more "regulatory evolved" then us. Looking at the two laws above, I can tell you that we have exactly the same regulation on these matters.

We're quickly going the way of the oppressive police state, if that's what you mean by "regulatory evolved". #-o

The politicians in this country seem to have issues dealing with reality. For example, they actually tried to ban alcohol some decades ago. What this lead to was an insane surge in alcohol smuggling and a generation of grandparents scared to take a drink outside the garage.

edit:

Which leads me to legal stupidities in Finland part X: the alcohol monopoly.
In Finland it is only legal to buy alcohol (other than light drinks such as beer or sider) from the government alcohol company. This means selection and price for wines, boozes and other "high alcohol" drinks is restricted from healthy competition. The politicians use this to control the people's drinking habits (or so they think at least) by fiddling with the taxation of alcoholic substances. It's a tricky business because they have to get it just right so that people won't kill themselves drinking nor go shopping abroad.

What this means of course for most consumers (those of us who wouldn't drink ourselves to death from cheap liquor anyway) is that you only get what they have on the shelf, and a lot of times the one wine you want isn't on the list. Also the prices stay high due to lack of competition.

undecim
April 17th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Have look at American copyright law.

Or at least how it's enforced. It's ridiculous.

xir_
April 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
im allowed to shoot the welsh with a crossbow if more than two (i think) try and come into england together.

dwarfolo
April 18th, 2010, 10:33 AM
We're quickly going the way of the oppressive police state, if that's what you mean by "regulatory evolved". #-o

The politicians in this country seem to have issues dealing with reality. For example, they actually tried to ban alcohol some decades ago. What this lead to was an insane surge in alcohol smuggling and a generation of grandparents scared to take a drink outside the garage.

edit:

Which leads me to legal stupidities in Finland part X: the alcohol monopoly.
In Finland it is only legal to buy alcohol (other than light drinks such as beer or sider) from the government alcohol company. This means selection and price for wines, boozes and other "high alcohol" drinks is restricted from healthy competition. The politicians use this to control the people's drinking habits (or so they think at least) by fiddling with the taxation of alcoholic substances. It's a tricky business because they have to get it just right so that people won't kill themselves drinking nor go shopping abroad.

What this means of course for most consumers (those of us who wouldn't drink ourselves to death from cheap liquor anyway) is that you only get what they have on the shelf, and a lot of times the one wine you want isn't on the list. Also the prices stay high due to lack of competition.

Well, alcohol and tobacco monopolies are in place here in Italy too. But they evolved since their introduction, becoming a form of taxation. So, who wants to import alcoholic products must pay an administrative tax proportioned to the % in volume of alcohol inside the product. Same thing for tobacco.
But aside for the tax and hence the increased cost, we can find almost everything on our market.

cascade9
April 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM

I don't think so . Many of the stupid laws listed were created centuries ago . The constitution in my area was created on just less than 70 years ago .

The indian penal code is 150 years old, created in 1860. Plently of stupid laws in there.....

clanky
April 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I am presently living in York in the UK, there is supposedly an ancient bye-law which has never been rescinded which states that it is legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow from the city walls.

I am not sure if this is pure folklore or if there is some truth in it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if you tried to test it you might end up in a spot of bother!

xpod
April 18th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I am presently living in York in the UK, there is supposedly an ancient bye-law which has never been rescinded which states that it is legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow from the city walls.

I am not sure if this is pure folklore or if there is some truth in it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if you tried to test it you might end up in a spot of bother!

Gordon Brown better not do any campaigning up there then, just in case someone puts it to the test.:P
There`s also one about not shooting Welshmen on Sundays with Longbows in Hereford, specifically from within the cathedral limits.
A few more silly ones mentioned in here (http://www.nowpublic.com/world/hey-its-sunday-lets-go-kill-scotsman-archaic-british-laws-1)

The Real Dave
April 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Apparently in Ireland

Any person who shall pretend or exercise to use any type of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment, or pretend knowledge in any occult or or craft or science shall for any such offense suffer imprisonment at the time of one whole year and also shall be obliged to obscursion for his/her good behavior.

Stupidest law I've found over here is that drivers with a Learner's Permit must be accompanied by a driver with a full licence at all times. I mean what are they gonna do? Grab the steering wheel from you?

xpod
April 18th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Apparently in Ireland

Stupidest law I've found over here is that drivers with a Learner's Permit must be accompanied by a driver with a full licence at all times. I mean what are they gonna do? Grab the steering wheel from you?

Inexperienced learners might just need that experienced driver grabbing the wheel from them at some point. If you`ve never passed a driving test then you should definitely have a fully licensed driver next to you at all times.
If your such a good driver that you believe you dont need the qualified driver next to then you should go take your driving test as soon as feasibly possible.

kamokow
April 18th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Its illegal to spit and pee in public.

In a city near mine (i forget which one), its illegal to, "Drag a dead horse down a dirt road on a thursday."

lisati
April 18th, 2010, 01:16 PM

There's a similar law here in NZ which came in some time after I got my full license 24 years ago. A recent news item: http://www.3news.co.nz/Police-want-changes-to-NZ-driver-licensing-system/tabid/423/articleID/151637/Default.aspx

SoFl W
April 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Comment removed by author

Frak
April 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM

It's the same in the States. Learning drivers need mature help.

J V
April 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Netherlands: Illegal to throw broken glass in the glass recycling containers: They break on impact after a 10 foot drop anyway...

IIRC its also illegal to use torrents at all, but legal to download and copy anything as long as you aren't torrenting...

Edit: I'm pretty sure you can find a few states/cities/countries that have banned Di-hydro-monoxide (Scary name for water)

Uncle Spellbinder
April 18th, 2010, 05:34 PM
In Peachtree City, GA, it is illegal to be homeless.

The Real Dave
April 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Inexperienced learners might just need that experienced driver grabbing the wheel from them at some point. If you`ve never passed a driving test then you should definitely have a fully licensed driver next to you at all times.
If your such a good driver that you believe you dont need the qualified driver next to then you should go take your driving test as soon as feasibly possible.

Someone who's passed their driving test isn't necessarily a good driver. Often in a dangerous situation, the accident has happened before the passenger (the experienced driver) has a chance to react and assist.

I admit, that there are definitely instances were it makes sense, the main being stopping most learner drivers (often the guys) from going mad behind the wheel. That said, the experienced driver might be just as mad, and not prevent them.

The problem with it is the inconvenience it causes to those on a learner permit waiting on the 6+ month waiting list for a driving test. These people then need to be accompanied by a driver (often parent) full-time. This causes major problems for students driving to college, people driving to work, etc.

IMO, a slightly different system should be put in place, that only those with points on, or a warning against their licence be required to have a full time driver accompany them. That way, those that have offended and are likely to re offend can be prevented from doing so, without making those that have not done so suffer.

So, IMO, a stupid law :)

NCLI
April 18th, 2010, 08:16 PM
hate crime laws

How exactly are they stupid? Protecting controversial minorities is important.

alexfish
April 18th, 2010, 09:57 PM
don't know if this has been posted

Did you know its illegal for women to eat chocolates on public transport in England?

addisonjoy
November 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I think Laws are usually made to increase the discipline level among members of society. But some laws are really stupid or dumb.You can not find the basic purpose of making such kind of laws.Now i will share some of such laws made in my area.

1. Dogs may not bark after 6 PM.
2. No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.
3. It is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.
4. It is considered an offense to shower naked.
5. You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.

You can also find some more really stupid laws from here.
http://www.elistmania.com/still/50_stupid_laws_from_50_states/

asifnaz
November 30th, 2011, 08:27 AM
In my country if a woman's husband is lost and never comes back she should wait for "90" years for him to come back before re-marrying

KiwiNZ
November 30th, 2011, 08:33 AM
This thread went to sleep over a year ago, it doesn't want to be awaken.

Back to sleep thread , sleep well,