PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] dansguardian-gui can't unlock firefox proxy

marllowe
April 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Hello,

I use dansguardian-gui and I press 'Lock Firefox Proxy'.
Now I want to unlock it - but I can't...
I press 'Unlock Firefox proxy', restart browser and it doesn't work...
I look this setting in configuration file in Firefox, but I didn't find.

Could you tell me how could I unlock this ?
Firefox 3.5.8
Ubuntu 9.10
Dansguardian-gui_2.4

Regards,
Artur

david_kt
April 15th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Hello,

I use dansguardian-gui and I press 'Lock Firefox Proxy'.
Now I want to unlock it - but I can't...
I press 'Unlock Firefox proxy', restart browser and it doesn't work...
I look this setting in configuration file in Firefox, but I didn't find.

Could you tell me how could I unlock this ?
Firefox 3.5.8
Ubuntu 9.10
Dansguardian-gui_2.4

Regards,
Artur

Open terminal and run:

gksudo gedit /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.8/firefox.cfg

delete all lines containing

lockPref("network.proxy.type",0);

Restart firefox.

DK

marllowe
April 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Thank you for answer :-)
I've found this solution after I send post.
I remove lockPref("network.proxy.type",0); in /etc/firefox-3.5/pref/firefox.js
Everything works fine.
I use privoxy instead tinyproxy and dansguardian works!
Regards,
Artur

warroomcbw
April 19th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Need some help.....
64bit version. We have a young man who is getting around Dangaurdian. Going to sites that he shouldn't by being clever with the search words. I am wondering how to protect him more. I've got the settings set for the youngest setting level now. We only use it to bring worship and praise into a prayer room. Proxy isn't locked. Everything else is. Am I doing something wrong? Dansguardian is blocking sites. It is working. But I need it to work just a bit better. So what can I do to improve things?

The 32 bit version at home seems to work much better.

Any help would be appreciated.

cbw

david_kt
April 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Need some help.....
64bit version. We have a young man who is getting around Dangaurdian. Going to sites that he shouldn't by being clever with the search words. I am wondering how to protect him more. I've got the settings set for the youngest setting level now. We only use it to bring worship and praise into a prayer room. Proxy isn't locked. Everything else is. Am I doing something wrong? Dansguardian is blocking sites. It is working. But I need it to work just a bit better. So what can I do to improve things?

The 32 bit version at home seems to work much better.

Any help would be appreciated.

cbw

1. Lock proxy
2. Check the words he is using, add to blacklist (banned phrases)
3. Add undesireable site to banned URLS or banned sites

DK

warroomcbw
April 27th, 2010, 01:58 AM
1. Lock proxy
2. Check the words he is using, add to blacklist (banned phrases)
3. Add undesireable site to banned URLS or banned sites

DK

Still can't seem to lock proxy. This is a 64 bit machine running 9.10.

DG seems to work ok. Seems to block about everything now that I added...including ubuntu forums. But that is ok if protects people. Again, we only use this to stream in the prayer room when we are not doing live prayer/praise/worship.

david_kt
April 27th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Still can't seem to lock proxy. This is a 64 bit machine running 9.10.

I will check, it might be some problem either with the indication or the script to lock. Could you help me to check the firefox proxy, is it lock or not actually?

DK

warroomcbw
April 27th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I'm not at the church right now,I was earlier. How would I do that exactly? Maybe I should brush up on DG howtos? I will help anyway I can, but you might have to tell me how. I am trying to get Ubuntu CE on all the computers. It's hard when your leaders say "we would have to retrain everone and that would be too much trouble". To me as an Audio guy. Ubuntu is way better than anything....I do quite a lot with it. Anyway, thanks a bunch for any help. I can't say thanks enough.

david_kt
April 27th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I'm not at the church right now,I was earlier. How would I do that exactly? Maybe I should brush up on DG howtos? I will help anyway I can, but you might have to tell me how. I am trying to get Ubuntu CE on all the computers. It's hard when your leaders say "we would have to retrain everone and that would be too much trouble". To me as an Audio guy. Ubuntu is way better than anything....I do quite a lot with it. Anyway, thanks a bunch for any help. I can't say thanks enough.

No, it is not DG. It is Firefox. Just open firefox and try to change proxy (Edit > Preference > network > Setting )

Lock means you could not change proxy setting. If you could change, means it is unlocked.

It is true we have to retrain everyone, but it is not too much trouble I guess.

DK

marllowe
April 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Need some help.....
Dansguardian is blocking sites. It is working. But I need it to work just a bit better. So what can I do to improve things?

Maybe better idea than locking proxy settings in Firefox is redirect everything from port 80 to Dansguardian. This soution is better - becouse if you install another browser (eg. Opera) - it will be redirected to Dansguardian too.

If you want to do this - paste this in terminal:

sudo iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m owner --uid-owner root -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m owner ! --uid-owner tinyproxy -j REDIRECT --to-port 8080
Make sure everything is working properly.
If everything is o.k. and you want run this commands after boot-up past in terminal:

sudo iptables-save > /etc/iptables.saveOpen file /etc/rc.local

sudo gedit /etc/rc.localAbove 'exit 0' paste: iptables-restore /etc/iptables.save

iptables-restore /etc/iptables.save
exit 0
Save changes. After boot-up you could install any browser you want and it should be filtered by Dansguardian.

warroomcbw
April 27th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I will try that and report back as soon as I can...thanks again.

david_kt
April 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Maybe better idea than locking proxy settings in Firefox is redirect everything from port 80 to Dansguardian. This soution is better - becouse if you install another browser (eg. Opera) - it will be redirected to Dansguardian too.

If you want to do this - paste this in terminal:
Make sure everything is working properly.
If everything is o.k. and you want run this commands after boot-up past in terminal:
Open file /etc/rc.local
Above 'exit 0' paste: iptables-restore /etc/iptables.save

Save changes. After boot-up you could install any browser you want and it should be filtered by Dansguardian.

No, don't do that. Ubuntu ce already has firewall to redirect all traffic on port 80. The problem is even with this redirection, people could still bypass the filtering using external proxy using different port.

DK

marllowe
April 28th, 2010, 10:53 AM
No, don't do that. Ubuntu ce already has firewall to redirect all traffic on port 80. The problem is even with this redirection, people could still bypass the filtering using external proxy using different port.

DK
Sorry for the confusion. I use Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala - not Ubuntu CE - so, I didn't know about this.

david_kt
April 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I use Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala - not Ubuntu CE - so, I didn't know about this.

Did you use dansguardian gui?

DK

marllowe
April 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Did you use dansguardian gui?

DK
Yes, I used dansguardian gui. But I had problem with tinyproxy (blank page in many sites), so I unistall tinyproxy - and install privoxy - it's fast and simple - I recomment it :-)

warroomcbw
May 11th, 2010, 02:04 AM
No, it is not DG. It is Firefox. Just open firefox and try to change proxy (Edit > Preference > network > Setting )

Lock means you could not change proxy setting. If you could change, means it is unlocked.

It is true we have to retrain everyone, but it is not too much trouble I guess.

DK

Settings are locked out. seems to be working ok