PDA

View Full Version : O hey look it's my Ipad!

PhilMize
April 14th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Hey guy's just picked up my new Ipad. What do you all think?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0w00aeaJl1qa2pcr.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0w00q9xz91qa2pcr.jpg

Gateway M275 Tablet running Ubuntu 9.10 w/ Boxee or XBMC.

1.6ghz processor
1gb ram
14' touchscreen display
cd/dvd burner
dvi out
Media card reader
60gb storage
2 usb ports!
2 stereo speakers
and about 4 hours of battery life.

Total Cost: $40 on Craigslist.

Random_Dude
April 14th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Well it was USB, better than iPad. :mrgreen:

If you don't mind the question, how much was it?

PhilMize
April 14th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Well it was USB, better than iPad. :mrgreen:

If you don't mind the question, how much was it?

Picked this bad mamajama up off craigslist for $40.

steveneddy
April 14th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Picked this bad mamajama up off craigslist for $40.

mamajama??

sudoer541
April 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I want to buy a cheap touch screen PC, any recommendations?
BTW I dont want to buy it online.

MasterNetra
April 15th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I want to buy a cheap touch screen PC, any recommendations?
BTW I dont want to buy it online.

Then good luck craigs list and newegg, possibly ebay. Don't touch ebay these days, just newegg.

Rasa1111
April 15th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Hey guy's just picked up my new Ipad. What do you all think?

way better than an ipad.! :)
looks niice man.

AllRadioisDead
April 15th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Hah. Why put linux on it?
Touch screen support is poor.

t0p
April 15th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I don't know about these touch-screen tablet things. What are they like to use? I think I prefer the idea of a netbook or other small format computer with keyboard. But I may change my mind.

There's an Apple shop opened in my town, I may go in there to play with an iPad.

Rasa1111
April 15th, 2010, 03:26 AM
There's an Apple shop opened in my town, I may go in there to play with an iPad.you may walk out
rather disappointed. lol

and OP,
dang man, that is a sweet deal!!
i looked over the $40 part the first time apparently. lol
niice one!

I would shell out 100$ for that thing,
before i shelled out even 100$ on an ipad.

airbag
April 15th, 2010, 03:36 AM
At first, i thought this would be a topic about how everyone nowadays REALLY wants to show you their ipad. i had a guy come in to my store with his brother who wasnt even a customer with his ipad and insisted in showing me everything about it (with a line of customers behind him). i didnt wanna be a hater, but i was severely uninterested.

witeshark17
April 15th, 2010, 04:29 AM
That's very nice! :popcorn:

Perfect Storm
April 15th, 2010, 04:33 AM
At first, i thought this would be a topic about how everyone nowadays REALLY wants to show you their ipad. i had a guy come in to my store with his brother who wasnt even a customer with his ipad and insisted in showing me everything about it (with a line of customers behind him). i didnt wanna be a hater, but i was severely uninterested.

You can see mine if you want to.

airbag
April 15th, 2010, 04:38 AM
the best part was the multiple tries at getting things done with multi touch. "oh wait, hang on".... "oh wait... its this way".... "okay just pinch to... wait hang on"...

meanwhile the line is building up behind him....

rsunshine68
April 15th, 2010, 04:47 AM
U stole it :P and/or it waz stolen..LOL Great deal \\:D/

Dayofswords
April 15th, 2010, 04:50 AM
mamajama??

you heard him!

MasterNetra
April 15th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Too bad you didn't know about this before purchasing it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1440808

PhilMize
April 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM
LOL I was highly surprised out of the box everything worked in 9.10. video, mic, wifi, nic, sound, mediacard reader, and touch capability! It only works with the pen but hey it's no biggy to me. It struggles a bit to run the media centers, but after upgrading it to 1gb ram everything runs smoothly. I'm trying to figure out some way of doing one of those picture frame computers for the kitchen or something hacks. But I don't have a bunch of time on my hands. Maybe I'll do something this weekend with it.

Any ideas?

Mind, this was a fullblown windows tablet. Not some new fangled ipad knockoff. It's like 4-5 years old. So stuff like UNR and moblin would not run on this hardware.

Rasa1111
April 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
that is beautiful man. !
glad everything works!
im not too surprised, really. :)
what a steal! O_o

if you ever want to sell it hit me up wouldja. . :lol:

ssj6akshat
April 15th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I heard Lucid ships with a 'Multi Touch Enabled' Kernel.

Otis Spunkmiyer
April 15th, 2010, 08:05 AM
God,,,how I hate this. (but I must be honest)

Sudo Science in disguise for a buck, simply obsolete.
The 'Netbook' was and is the real revolution.
Apple dared to try and be so different and all they manage to do was further the hype.

P.T. Barnum & Steve Jobs, you know the rest..

koshatnik
April 15th, 2010, 09:33 AM
The whole world has gone pad mad. How did we manage before them?

Can I ask a serious question though - what do you guys actually use them for? I can't see any reason to get one over a notebook, which has infinitely more functionality and useability.

Genuinely interested.

steev182
April 15th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I am considering a 'pad' form factor to replace my netbook.

For the following reasons:
- I want something a little more natural to read on, I really don't want to have a keyboard on it.
- It would be nice for showing photos on.
- I think the way you use it, the way you sit with it means that you don't really become immersed in it in the same way you do a netbook which is good when with other people.

The main drawbacks from the iPad for me are:
- No front facing camera
- Not OSX

If I use my netbook in the dark, it gets a little annoying not being able to properly see the keyboards. That, combined with the small keys, kind of makes that a disadvantage and detracts from it having a keyboard.

Flash annoys me, mainly because of my experience with it on a netbook, and during general browsing, I really tend to avoid it.

steev182
April 15th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Arstechnica usually gives nice balanced reviews of hardware.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/04/ipad-review.ars

It's long but good.... (That's what she said)

LMP900
April 15th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I am considering a 'pad' form factor to replace my netbook.

For the following reasons:
- I want something a little more natural to read on, I really don't want to have a keyboard on it.
- It would be nice for showing photos on.
- I think the way you use it, the way you sit with it means that you don't really become immersed in it in the same way you do a netbook which is good when with other people.

The main drawbacks from the iPad for me are:
- No front facing camera
- Not OSX

If I use my netbook in the dark, it gets a little annoying not being able to properly see the keyboards. That, combined with the small keys, kind of makes that a disadvantage and detracts from it having a keyboard.

Flash annoys me, mainly because of my experience with it on a netbook, and during general browsing, I really tend to avoid it.

I'm on the same boat. The iPad seems like a great solution, but the fact that it requires another computer really hurts its appeal for me. Everything else, like the IPS panel, true 10-hour battery, and speed, is there. Great point about being able to see the keyboard too, since I like to read saved articles on Instapaper in bed.

I'm willing to wait for others (e.g. Android or iPad 2nd-gen) before jumping in. I'd be content with something between the size of a smartphone and an iPad - as long as I can actually read PDF files comfortably.

pwnst*r
April 15th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I would shell out 100$ for that thing,
before i shelled out even 100$ on an ipad.

Just on principle, right? Right?

PhilMize
April 15th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I'm gunna hop on the first android "pad" that is released. In IT I can see it being super useful for walking around doing inventories, wifi troubleshooting, remote desktop etc... Plus gaming will be cool.

I don't like the Ipad cause its so freakin expensive. If I'm going to buy a niche market product like this, it better be sub $250 and be opensource. Or atleast hackable.

The tablet is just something I'm playing around with. It's not very practical. It gets hot fairly quickly and is heavy. I mean it is a laptop tablet sooo.

LMP900
April 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM
How is Android with battery life? the 10-12 hours on the iPad is really tempting. I know many netbooks and some laptops can get 8-10 hours, but it's not "always on" like an iPad or smartphone (i.e. sleep/wake on a laptop can take some time). Plus, battery life on laptops and netbooks are often inflated, while the iPad's rating is very accurate.

I want something that I can pick up, slide the switch, and be browsing at an instant. Then, be able to put it down without having to worry about clicking around to put it to sleep.

Maheriano
April 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
That's crazy! I'd buy one for $40 for sure, are there more around for that price?

I'm trying to figure out some way of doing one of those picture frame computers for the kitchen or something hacks.
Just set up your screen saver to display pictures from a specified folder and set it to 1 minute. Whenever the computer is idle, it'll display picture after picture just like the digital photo frames. It's an option in the screen saver settings for Gnome.

toupeiro
April 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I don't have a problem with the form factor at all. I have a problem with the iPad specifically. It's a uni-tasking, non-printing, usbless expensive waste of what could be a very useful form-factor if it could multi-task, print, hook commodity computing peripherals (like printers, cameras, scanners, etc) to it.

Maheriano
April 15th, 2010, 07:34 PM
14' touchscreen display
Do you get tired walking from one end of the screen to the other?

Vega
April 15th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I don't have a problem with the form factor at all. I have a problem with the iPad specifically. It's a uni-tasking, non-printing, usbless expensive waste of what could be a very useful form-factor if it could multi-task, print, hook commodity computing peripherals (like printers, cameras, scanners, etc) to it.

Welcome to marketing, it's that "magical" lol

I'd take this tablet over proprietary hardware any day.

PhilMize
April 16th, 2010, 03:47 AM
That's crazy! I'd buy one for $40 for sure, are there more around for that price?

Just set up your screen saver to display pictures from a specified folder and set it to 1 minute. Whenever the computer is idle, it'll display picture after picture just like the digital photo frames. It's an option in the screen saver settings for Gnome.

Nooo I ment something like this (http://lifehacker.com/5196069/build-an-under+the+cabinet-kitchen-pc-from-an-old-laptop). Or this (http://blog.glowview.com/2009/03/20/custom-self-contained-hanging-wall-pc/).

steev182
April 16th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Basically, the only thing (in terms of hardware) stopping me from getting an iPad is that it doesn't have a webcam.

USB doesn't matter to me, MicroSD would be nice though. I don't want to plug an external drive, printer or scanner into this. I don't want to plug my camera into it. I do, however, want it to be able to have a selection of my video/music/photos/documents available at all times along with the ability to stream from my server.

Multitasking will happen when iPhoneOS 4.0 appears.

In terms of software though, maybe Nokia will come up with an N900 based Meego device.

My N900 is happily running at 930MHz, just 70 off of the iPad. With 4 or 5 apps running at the same time it's still fastish, gets a little jittery when I get to 8 or 9.

So if Nokia did this:

- 10" touchscreen, resistive would be alright for note taking/drawing with a stylus
- 512MB RAM with 1GB Swap
- Wireless G/N only (and a 3G model too)
- Bluetooth
- 32GB or 64GB on board
- MicroUSB (with host mode for you USB lovers...)
- The N900's chipset (or maybe something Dual Core)
- £200 or £250 price point
- Webcam
- Kickstand

I would go for this in a shot, although they would need the support of Publishers (both magazine and book) for this to work. I want to get rid of paper from my personal life at least, and this would be great.

steev182
April 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
OK, after this time without even touching one. I have just had a play with an iPad. Although for 5 minutes I was watching another person using it too.

Whilst I had it, these are the things I'd like to note:

- Screen is much better than the iPhone/iPod Touch
- Calendar is nice
- App Store isn't set up in this country yet (but this is just due to the person who bought it)
- It feels light
- Web browsing is good and I can see myself typing just below my old iPhone typing speed it it's in portait, landscape will be slow.
- It's nice to use with other people.
- iBooks is a nice app, the books appear clear and illustrations look great, I'd be interested to see how text books are on it.
- iPlayer isn't recognising it's user agent as iPhone, so is sending you to the regular flash interface (boo!)

Unfortunately, I can see myself replacing my netbook with one. (I say unfortunately, because my netbook is annoying me, in terms of form factor more than anything.

Maheriano
April 16th, 2010, 04:17 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ipad.png