PDA

View Full Version : Ram upgrade.

PhilMize
April 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Quick question. I've never upgraded ram on an ubuntu machine before so I'm curious if this is good practice or not. If I currently have 2 gigs of ram installed and I'm moving too 4. Does this mean I should adjust the size of my swap partition to compensate for the ram increase?

Half-Left
April 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I've never understood why people think they need to increase swap with more memory. It probably comes from Windows, since it uses such methods even when not out of ram.

I mean if you go into swap with 4Gb of ram and then need an extra 2Gb swap for usage, you need more ram, not more swap.

You should think of swap like an emergency memory fallback and only use it if really needed and not rely on a memory method that is so slow.

swoll1980
April 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Quick question. I've never upgraded ram on an ubuntu machine before so I'm curious if this is good practice or not. If I currently have 2 gigs of ram installed and I'm moving too 4. Does this mean I should adjust the size of my swap partition to compensate for the ram increase?

You didn't tell us how big your swap is now.

swoll1980
April 14th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I've never understood why people think they need to increase swap with more memory. It probably comes from Windows, since it uses such methods even when not out of ram.

I mean if you go into swap with 4Gb of ram and then need an extra 2Gb swap for usage, you need more ram, not more swap.

It's used for hibernation mostly.

Paqman
April 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Does this mean I should adjust the size of my swap partition to compensate for the ram increase?

If you need to use hibernation you should expand your swap so that it's still bigger than your RAM. If you don't use hibernation you could leave it as is, or most likely reduce it, since you won't be using it as much.

PhilMize
April 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I was always told your swap partition should be at least as big as your ram size. So I have 2gb of ram currently, my swap is 2gb. From your guys' remarks I'm thinking it's pretty irrelevant so thanks!:)

Lightstar
April 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM
With more ram, your swap will actually be used less. People are thinking in the opposite direction.

Swap is used when your ram memory is full.
With more ram memory, less swap should be needed.

I have 4gb. I keep 1gb for swap, and so far my ubuntu/linux never had to use the swap.

K.Mandla
April 14th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Not to be obtuse, but what are you doing that you need 4Gb of RAM in Ubuntu anyway?

NovaAesa
April 14th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Not to be obtuse, but what are you doing that you need 4Gb of RAM in Ubuntu anyway?

Maybe he's a developer. I have 4GB of RAM at the moment and find that when I'm doing massive multitasking and running memory intensive code I'm swapping out alot. I could really do with 8GB :P

PhilMize
April 14th, 2010, 11:14 PM

LOL! Got it free... So why not use it?

TheNessus
April 14th, 2010, 11:34 PM

You should think of swap like an emergency memory fallback and only use it if really needed and not rely on a memory method that is so slow.
But what about suspending to disk? (hibernation) where RAM is copied to the SWAP? think big, don't be so narrow...

K.Mandla
April 15th, 2010, 01:03 AM
LOL! Got it free... So why not use it?
:D Then by all means ... ;)

Half-Left
April 15th, 2010, 03:30 AM
But what about suspending to disk? (hibernation) where RAM is copied to the SWAP? think big, don't be so narrow...

Fine, if you have a laptop.