PDA

View Full Version : Machinarium refused by Microsoft XBLA, because it's linux and Mac ??

newbie2
April 14th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Joystiq contacted Amanita Design founder Jakub Dvorský for to clarify the situation. "They told us, 'It's not Microsoft-exclusive, we don't want it.' They didn't cite the Mac and Linux versions [as reasons for the refusal] but it's quite clear that's the reason," Dvorský told Joystiq via email. As it did with Toki HD, Microsoft recommended Amanita Design pursue other publishers, an idea the team doesn't appear intent on exploring. "It means if we want to release the game on XBLA we must throw, probably, most of the profit out of the window -- to the publisher. Just because we created Mac and Linux versions."
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/12/machinarium-dev-moves-on-to-sony-after-microsoft-passes-on-publi/
:rolleyes:

toupeiro
April 14th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Its so painfully apparent that nobody ever learns from History. This incident, seeming loosely similar, reminds me of Steve Jobs' experience was when he was trying to get people interested in his computing platform in the formative days of Apple computers:

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we' ll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No'. So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet."

Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and H-P interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer.

newbie2
April 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM
It is rather a pleasant game though :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinarium

here you can play a demo :
http://machinarium.net/demo/

:)

NCLI
April 15th, 2010, 11:18 AM
At least it looks like Sony will approve it. No problem for me then :D

aeiah
April 15th, 2010, 11:29 AM
i think it's because microsoft are pushing for games that will be simultaneously available on xbla on xbox, windows and windows mobile all at the same time. they're looking to further push cross-platform functionality (within the realm of microsoft of course) so your purchase, savegames and settings are available on all platforms at the same time. something that also runs on linux and mac wouldn't fit their plan.

there'll be anomalies i guess, like valve who're releasing their stuff for mac now and have portal on xbla, but the small time companies will just get pushed around by this until they agree just to make games for xbla, windows and windows mobile

mcduck
April 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM
At least it looks like Sony will approve it. No problem for me then :D

That would be awesome, as the game looks great and the demo was really fun, but I simply dislike the idea of playing games on my computer (doesn't feel relaxing at all after spending the whole day working on the same computer).

If the game becomes available in Playstation Store I'll sure buy it. Actually I'd buy all the Amanita Design's games f they were available for consoles...