PDA

View Full Version : Crunchbang Linux-like setup for Lucid and any Ubuntu after?

user1397
April 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
What about those of us that want the option of having an ideal openbox setup, like crunchbang 9.04, but won't be able to anymore due to their change from ubuntu to debian? By that I mean of course those of us that want ubuntu to remain as the base system for our comps, for whatever reason.

Does anyone want to take it upon themselves to make an install script perhaps, much like the official crunchbang 'alternate install' method on their website, but just call it something like 'openbox desktop' or something?

I'd try it out.

Paqman
April 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Does anyone want to take it upon themselves to make an install script perhaps, much like the official crunchbang 'alternate install' method on their website, but just call it something like 'openbox desktop' or something?

I'm writing one right now that (amongst other options) will build you your own basic Lubuntu desktop. Watch this space.

user1397
April 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I'm writing one right now that (amongst other options) will build you your own basic Lubuntu desktop. Watch this space.Awesome man, thanks!

Now, were you already working on this before seeing this thread, or did this thread motivate you to start the project? :guitar:

Paqman
April 14th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Now, were you already working on this before seeing this thread, or did this thread motivate you to start the project? :guitar:

Maybe you sent me a psychic thought bubble from the future. I bashed it out over the weekend, it just needs some polish. And someone to find all the millions of bugs, due to my extreme lack of 1337.

user1397
April 14th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Maybe you sent me a psychic thought bubble from the future. I bashed it out over the weekend, it just needs some polish. And someone to find all the millions of bugs, due to my extreme lack of 1337.
haha, well you definitely possess some 1337ness for bashing it out :popcorn:

oh and I would be honored to test it out.

snowpine
April 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Why not just upgrade your CrunchBang install to Lucid? Or back up your /home, do a fresh install of Lucid, install openbox and whatever apps you want, and restore /home?

user1397
April 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Why not just upgrade your CrunchBang install to Lucid? Or back up your /home, do a fresh install of Lucid, install openbox and whatever apps you want, and restore /home?
well as far as I understand it crunchbang also uses some repos of its own, and is made from scratch each time from a minimal ubuntu base. I don't know how upgrade friendly it is.

Also, the second thing you said would not work for me as I do not have a /home partition, and I don't know how to configure openbox+ all the apps well enough as compared to a crunchbang setup, hence the install script I inquired about.

nothingspecial
April 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM
That`s kind of what I do.

I have an heavily edited version of the default crunchbang rc.xml and menu.xml

I found it alot easier to strip down those than build new one from scratch.

Then (with a seperate /home) install ubuntu-minimal, then install xinit, openbox, ncurses-base and wicd for a base system with wireless.

Then nirogen, feh, chromium-browser etc etc until I have my custom system.

snowpine
April 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Well, I have 2 computers running CrunchBang 9.04. It is still a viable operating system, nice and stable, and will be supported through October. You are correct that there is a small CrunchBang repository, separate from the Ubuntu repos, and I have no idea what will happen to that after October.

I've been testing the new Debian-based CrunchBang as well, and it is very, very nice. The Debian base means it will be very stable with many years of support. So if you change your mind... :)

user1397
April 24th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Any word on your script yet Paqman?