PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacing Opensuse with Ubuntu..

Baldrick_NZ
April 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Hi all,

I have an Acer Laptop that currently runs Vista and Opensuse as dual boot using Grub 1.5.

I'm wanting to replace Opensuse with Ubuntu and need some guidance as how to do this without causing problems with Vista or being able to dual boot between them.

My main concern is that I'll successfully format the opensuse partition, maybe install Ubuntu on it OK, but completely negate Vista in doing so.

My partner uses Vista exclusively (at this stage), and any risk of loosing access to this would be completely unacceptable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Baldrick.

zvacet
April 14th, 2010, 09:47 PM
You can do it exactly as you said.Format Open suse partition(you can do that during Ubuntu installing process or you can do it with some tool like Gparted live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/)).On that unalocated space install Ubuntu and you should be fine.Grub will detect Vista.

isbiyanto
April 16th, 2010, 03:04 AM
i ussually do that (formating partition) during ubuntu installing process. be sure to back up your data first.

isbiyanto
April 16th, 2010, 03:04 AM
absolutely for humam beings - UBUNTU :)

fatleader
April 16th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Do be careful with 10.04 Lucid though if you are thinking about using that as an alternative to your openSUSE. It is in it's beta stages and might not perform as well as expected.