PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] limiting ubuntu installation program to one drive (multiple drive system) )

rafciu123
April 13th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Hi,

I have 3 hard drives in my desktop: 1TB sata (I have w7 installation there) 320GB sata (data) and 250GB IDE (data). I want to install ubuntu on my 320GB drive but I want to make sure that it does not alter my standard boot manager that loads w7 (I don't want it to touch 1TB drive at all). I want to point ubuntu installation program to a drive and limit its actions only to this particular drive. I want to be able to remove Ubuntu by formatting 320GB drive from Windows. I am willing to change boot sequence from BIOS to be able to load either w7 or ubuntu on as needed basis.

A link to a relevant post or a short explanation would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

rafciu123

oldfred
April 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM
There is an advanced button on the last partition screen that lets you choose where to install grub. The newest version sometimes has a menu listing every drive and partition and many users check them all and create all sorts of confusion. When I installed the first beta I missed the button even though I was looking for it and it defaulted to sda.

It is not that difficult to reinstall windows or grub boot loaders if you have a liveCD or windows CD available to run the fixes:
How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

About 1/3 way down is a snapshot of the advanced button. Right above the install button.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-Ubuntu-9-10-126370.shtml

The new Lucid install I think the advance button was on screen 9 last or next to last screen.

rafciu123
April 14th, 2010, 10:58 PM
OldFred,

Thanks for the reply, I am going to give it a try.

Regards,

rafciu123

rafciu123
April 16th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu and actually used Advanced option to install Grub on the drive which I wanted. I assumed that I need some kind of boot manager on that drive to be able to boot operating system. Before I posted this question on the forum advice I got from someone was to disconnect cables to other hard drive but I was sure there must be an easier way.

Thanks for help!