PDA

View Full Version : How organized is your music library?

PurposeOfReason
April 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Myself, sitting on ~14d of flac (5117 tracks taking 123G) am proudly able to say my entire folder structure is in the form

/500/music/artist/[year] album/track trackname.flacex:

/500/music/Cloudkicker/[2009] Portmanteau/01 Forteen Nights.flacEach album folder also has a folder.jpg of at least 300x300px or the best I could find (which is usually the above or greater).

Should also mention everything has at least the artist, album, track number, trac and year (yyyy-mm-dd) tagged properly.

sydbat
April 13th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Same folder structure. 5860 songs (~17 days).

descendent87
April 14th, 2010, 12:02 AM
~200GB FLAC, organized

/Music/Artist/Album/Track No - Track Name.flac
Rip albums to my home folder then run them through picard to make sure all tags are correct, album art is embeded and then it moves them to the correct folder/subfolder

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 14th, 2010, 12:04 AM
/music/artist/album/track

It's the only way I ever want my music physically organized. The player can take care of the rest.

PurposeOfReason
April 14th, 2010, 12:19 AM

It's the only way I ever want my music physically organized. The player can take care of the rest.
The player is only as smart as the tags.

ceelo
April 14th, 2010, 12:20 AM

Ditto.

miggols99
April 14th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Ahh...mine isn't that great. It's like

Music/Artist - Album/Track

When I get more music it's going to be so messy!

PurposeOfReason
April 14th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Ahh...mine isn't that great. It's like

Music/Artist - Album/Track

When I get more music it's going to be so messy!
There are quite a few really easy ways to fix it. Picard for tagging then foobar through wine to make a decent structure. Then make it all read only and sleep safe at night. :)

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 14th, 2010, 12:29 AM
The player is only as smart as the tags.
That's true, but tags are independent of my folder structure.

Jesus_Valdez
April 14th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I dump everything into my Music Folder and I let my music players fight with that.

Phrea
April 14th, 2010, 12:47 AM
200+GB of total chaos.

RATM_Owns
April 14th, 2010, 12:51 AM
/500/music/Cloudkicker/[2009] Portmanteau/01 Forteen Nights.flac
CLOUDKICKER!!!

Mine's like this:

~/Music/Artist/Album/# - Track Name.ext

So it would be like this:

~/Music/Periphery/Periphery/8 - Icarus Lives.mp3

Songbird automatically organizes it that way.

scouser73
April 16th, 2010, 04:51 PM
My music library consisting of 14980 songs, totalling 92.6GB are set:

/Music/Music/Artist/Album

So it would appear as:

/Music/Music/10cc/Greatest Hits/1 - Donna.mp3

Individual mp3s are done as:
Artist - Song.mp3

antenna
April 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Mine is ~/music/Artist/Album/Artist - Track no. - Title.mp3

Any player I use is set to use/display only file names. I prefer not to bother with tags, it's just something else to organise.

detroit/zero
April 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I have well over 150GB of .mp3's, .flac's, and .ogg's - I'm coming close to 16,000 songs.

The entire library is structured thusly:

Music/Band Name/Album/Song.ext
Simple and straight forward. I do occasionally go on the hunt for album art like OP does. The media player I use in Windows also grabs song lyrics and puts them into the relevant folder in .txt files with the song name as the title.

tica vun
April 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I don't have any consistent folder hierarchy, and until recently I didn't have any tags. However, I've spent the last couple of months in an epic effort to tag everything I listen to, so now most of my library is tagged by composer, performer, genre and year composed, and I've added sheet music and lyrics for all the pieces I could locate. I don't think I'll bother putting it into folders though.

madhi19
April 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM
200+GB of total chaos.

Pretty much sums up mine at least every audio files are in the music folder! Can't say the same for my videos...

RiceMonster
April 16th, 2010, 06:36 PM
My music is all neatly organized like this (about 70 GB):

Music/A-Z/Artist/Album/01 - Track.(mp3|flac|ogg)

tica vun
April 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM

So how do you deal with music that doesn't fit into the modern pop artist-album-track paradigm? This is an extremely narrow-minded way to organise. This is why I avoid folder hierarchy and just use tags that apply to the specific piece.

DM was on fire!
April 16th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I'm slowly working on getting all 1,744 of my songs into folders, separated by language, then by artist, and if I have more than four songs from the album, by album. :)

nothingspecial
April 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
approx 25,000 songs,
mostly flac
some mp3 (because even if you buy them from the flippin' Ubuntu music store (you know that distro that advocates free (both kinds) of software) they are still all mp3s](*,) )

And it is a total shambles and I`m not about to start sorting that one out.

Paqman
April 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
It's all about the tags. It's much easier and quicker to go through the collection and tag it properly than it is to move thousands of files around. And once you've done it it's sorted forever.

nothingspecial
April 16th, 2010, 07:18 PM
No, there`s no way I`m going to embark on something of that enormity.

By the time I finish we`ll all be carrying around the entire history of music on a little chip implanted in our brains and the whole exercise will have been futile.

Maheriano
April 16th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I think I'm the odd one out here. I absolutely hate song tags, they're never correct and they usually have websites in them from where they were downloaded. So I turn those off and rename all my files in this folder structure:
Desktop\myname\songs\artist\album\artist - songname.mp3
This way when I load them all into Audacious, I order them by filename and all the artists are grouped together, ordered alphabetically by song name.

And I just have maybe 4000 songs and a few hundred music videos. I also set up Vuze with a RSS plugin to watch mininova RSS feeds for newly released albums by any of the artists I like. When a new album is posted, it downloads it automatically and puts it in the appropriate folder.

nmaster
April 16th, 2010, 07:29 PM
i let songbird do the organization. its easier that way.

Paqman
April 16th, 2010, 07:33 PM
No, there`s no way I`m going to embark on something of that enormity.

By the time I finish we`ll all be carrying around the entire history of music on a little chip implanted in our brains and the whole exercise will have been futile.

There's tools available that do most of the work for you. I think I used Easytag to do mine a few years back. Didn't take more than an hour or two.

-humanaut-
April 16th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Mine are just put in a MP3 folder don't care much about album art so i guess pretty unorganized on the plus side 99% of the bands I listen to are on labels that don't support the RIAA

RiceMonster
April 16th, 2010, 07:46 PM
So how do you deal with music that doesn't fit into the modern pop artist-album-track paradigm? This is an extremely narrow-minded way to organise. This is why I avoid folder hierarchy and just use tags that apply to the specific piece.

"Narrow minded"? I think you're taking organizing music a bit too personally. If they don't fit into the artist-album-track paradigm, they just into the folder with the artist or performer's name. I don't really listen to music like that doesn't fall into that organization format, though.

Chronon
April 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Myself, sitting on ~14d of flac (5117 tracks taking 123G) am proudly able to say my entire folder structure is in the form

/500/music/Cloudkicker/[2009] Portmanteau/01 Forteen Nights.flacEach album folder also has a folder.jpg of at least 300x300px or the best I could find (which is usually the above or greater).

Should also mention everything has at least the artist, album, track number, trac and year (yyyy-mm-dd) tagged properly.

Similarly for me:

"~/Music/%albumartist/[%year] - %album/%disk%track - %title.ext"For example,

"~/Music/Tool/[2006] - 10,000 Days/102 - Jambi.flac"
"~/Music/Led Zeppelin/[[1975] - Physical Graffiti/209 - Sick Again.ogg"

For compilations I use

"~/Music/Compilations/[%year] - %album/%disk%track - %artist - %title.ext"For example,

"~/Music/Compilations/[1995] - Metallurgy/101 - Sepultura - Refuse/Resist.m4a"

RaZe42
April 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Not only one, but two Cloudkicker fans in three pages!

I AM NOT ALONE! :D

buddyd16
April 16th, 2010, 08:34 PM
my music is organized as follows:

/music/full.album
/music/partial.album
/music/singles
/music/live
then within each of those folders it is basically the same as everyone elses

../artist/album/disc #/track#-track title.filetype
With the onset of per track purchasing I have found my collection filled with a bunch of partial albums.

rudihawk
April 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Mine is 57GB of messyness. I once attempted to go through it all and tag stuff (that was when I only had 9GB a few years ago.) I've been buying a lot more albums lately and so nowadays I just have the more important tags:

Artist, Album, Title.

If there is other metadata I try add it, I try to keep the music that I do listen to on a regular basis organised. I.e my symphonic metal.

Otherwise I just let foobar2000 (in WINE) or Banshee try figure it out. The search function in media players helps me find what I am looking for most of the time anyway.

user1397
April 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM
For the most part my music is organized like /Music/Artist/Album/# - Track.mp3

Also for the most part, I have the following tagged: artist, album, track name, track number, year, and genre.

But I have a few songs just randomly in my music folder that are not in any specific folder, and that aren't fully tagged or correctly tagged.

I'm actually quite pissed off cause recently I decided to make my entire library mp3 instead of having multiple different formats (most were mp3s anyway) and in the process of converting a lot of files I somehow lost a lot of music. (this is all on windows, using itunes as my library)

I wish I would have all of my music fully organized, fully tagged, and all in flac, but that seems like it's never going to happen :(

cguy
April 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Which player will save the lyrics and the album art inside the ID3-tags of each file?

Thanks!

squilookle
April 16th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I have about 30gb of music on mu old Creative Zen - in several different formats and a bit of a mess. I've gone through a few computers since then and I now only have a few CD's that I listen to alot on my current computer.

I mostly use Spotify these days when I'm in the house. And CD's in the car.

I basically just can't be bothered with maintaining a colletion any more.

nothingspecial
April 17th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Which player will save the lyrics and the album art inside the ID3-tags of each file?

Thanks!

Ask the dev of guayadeque

If it doesn`t, request it.

Links below:P

kyle99
April 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Music/V0/Artist/Album/01 Title.mp3
Music/Flac/Artist/Album/01 Title.flac

I just spent 3 hours organizing all my music I got from what.

fenian
April 17th, 2010, 03:47 AM

I also use this hierarchy as well as accurately tagging my collection (12,000 plus tracks).

There is no reason you can't put compilations soundtracks or loose tracks in folders like...

/Music/S/Soundtracks/High Fidelity/11-Jack Black Let's Get It On.mp3

or

/Music/V/Various/Original Soul Christmas/11 - King Curtis - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve.mp3

Uncle Spellbinder
April 17th, 2010, 03:58 AM
2 external hard drives, 145,000+ mp3's (256 (vbr) - 320). Categorized by genre, artist/band, release, year.

ctrlmd
April 17th, 2010, 05:39 AM
music, artist with artist info , year , title and album art

ve4cib
April 17th, 2010, 05:46 AM
With a few odd exceptions everything is

~/music/artist/year - album/track - title.[mp3|ogg|flac|...]

I also have a special __sets__ directory with multi-artist, single-file tracks with a length greater than about 30 minutes.

switch10
April 17th, 2010, 05:58 AM
In my Music dir, I have A-Z/artist/album. 180GB random file types, .ogg, .mp3, and .flac.

Genius314
April 17th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I have a Music folder.
Inside that is "Unsorted," "MP3," "FLAC," and I think a folder to hold stuff that I rip/convert but haven't labeled yet.
Inside those folders are artist names (and an Other folder for all the stuff that's too nerdy :P)
Inside the artist folders are album folders, and miscellaneous tracks that weren't on any albums.
Inside album folders are files, labeled like: 00-Song_Title.mp3

So yeah, it's pretty organized.
I also keep the tags nice and clean. I make sure that all the genres match (e.g. making sure there's not both Psy-Trance and Psytrance) and that all the letters match (because the iPod is case sensitive, and so Dragonforce and DragonForce will show up as different artists... lame example, I know :))
I'm thinking of using the Comments tag to add in my own custom tags, too. That way I can make playlists much faster.

It really annoys me when people don't organize their music. Artist names in the filename... everything just piled into one folder.
And no one knows how to properly label AC DC (heck, I don't even know!) They'll have ACDC, AC DC, AC-DC, etc, all in their collection (and again, these show up as separate artists on the iPod). I get so annoyed at stuff like that.
Also, getting a song with a completely wrong genre. Metal should not be labeled as "Rock," and the only thing that should be labeled "Blues" is Blues!

PurposeOfReason
April 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Music/V0/Artist/Album/01 Title.mp3
Music/Flac/Artist/Album/01 Title.flac

I just spent 3 hours organizing all my music I got from what.
Freeleach grabs? I don't have the time for it all right now. ;)

Not only one, but two Cloudkicker fans in three pages!

I AM NOT ALONE! :D
We are there in the shadows. :)

I think I'm the odd one out here. I absolutely hate song tags, they're never correct and they usually have websites in them from where they were downloaded. So I turn those off and rename all my files in this folder structure:
Desktop\myname\songs\artist\album\artist - songname.mp3
This way when I load them all into Audacious, I order them by filename and all the artists are grouped together, ordered alphabetically by song name.

And I just have maybe 4000 songs and a few hundred music videos. I also set up Vuze with a RSS plugin to watch mininova RSS feeds for newly released albums by any of the artists I like. When a new album is posted, it downloads it automatically and puts it in the appropriate folder.
I want to know where you're getting music that puts websites in the tags. Really, if that happens you're doing it wrong.

Make a folder called "Classical", "Techno", "Soundtracks", "Mixes". Works for me.

zalittle
April 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM
When I get a 100 TB SSD, I will be able to organize my media. Until then it is spread amongst all the DVD,cd, and other pc.

SoFl W
April 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I just spent the past week converting all my CDs to MP3. I don't usually listen to music when I am at a computer, I mostly listen to music in the car. A large number but not all of my CDs are 15+ years old. (I am old school, I have vinyl records also) I really slowed down on purchasing new CDs and/or digital downloads.

330+ artists, 2100+ songs, six days six hours worth of music. (All legally purchased)
Organized on the mp3 partition as /artist/album/"artist - song.mp3"
Displays "Artist - Title" when playing back

kukker32
April 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
mine is just one big mess :S
/music/artist-album/track.mp3

SoFl W
April 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM
When I get a 100 TB SSD, I will be able to organize my media. Until then it is spread amongst all the DVD,cd, and other pc.

100 Terrabyte?

chriskin
April 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM

5892 songs (18days and 1 hour)
all of them are perfectly organised in artist/album/trackname

all covers are downloaded using cover chooser
all albums' folders have the front cover as an image and all artists' have an image of the band, put there by cover thumbnailer

cptrohn
April 18th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Well after my music collection was destroyed by Windows Vista right before I migrated to ubuntu I am seriously anal about it.... everything HAS to be right now.... tags, album art, etc, etc.....

AND backed up on 2 HD's......NEVER going through the mess I had to sort through before... took me a month to get things right. Ended up deleting everything that was in WMA (I didn't know any better at the time..) and ripping them all into .flac and .ogg this time... and I have been MUCH, MUCH happier ever since..... Just another reason why linux is better.... plus sold off my Zune and got a Cowon.... I enjoy my music much more now! :guitar:

gnomeuser
April 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I have Banshee automatically saving metadata to my files, then move them to reflect the change. That way all my music is where I expect it to be, even if my database goes boom and I have to reimport.

The same goes for Audiobooks, Podcasts and Video. All media data really is correctly indexed and metadata has been applied correctly where missing.

I have a cunning plan to make this even more awesome but it will require some hacking. More on that later

Kdar
April 18th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Its not organized, lol.. Need to clean it one of those days :)

rudihawk
April 18th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I have Banshee automatically saving metadata to my files, then move them to reflect the change. That way all my music is where I expect it to be, even if my database goes boom and I have to reimport.

Ooooh, I'm going to get mine to do that too.

kellemes
April 18th, 2010, 10:09 PM
225,9 Gb of mostly mp3 and FLAC.
22.977 files
1.848 subfolders

genre/artist/album

examples:
rock/alternative/The Verve/2008 - Forth
rock/industrial/Celldweller/2008 - Soundtrack For The Voices In My Head Vol. 01
electronic/triphop/Portishead/1994 - Dummy

I'm tagging with EasyTAG (http://easytag.sourceforge.net/) based on genre as given by Wikipedia. (this sucks but I don't know of a better alternative atm)
I want to start tagging with Picard but I don't understand it just yet..

Happily using Jajuk (http://www.jajuk.info/index.php/Main_Page) as Jukebox.

oldos2er
April 19th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Not very organized. I have two or three copies of each song (not very many compared to some of you, <2000) spread out over 3 hard disks. Learned the hard way long ago that hard disks don't last forever. Most songs I burn to CD.

kk0sse54
April 19th, 2010, 02:52 AM
~10,000 tracks ,depending on whether the album is mp3 or flac, organized as

music/flac/artist/album/track

or

music/mp3/artist/album/track