PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't use sawfish in karmic desktop; slow screen refresh outside karmic desktop

fivebells
April 13th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I have two problems. They will seem a little strange out of context, but I will describe the problems first, then the context.

First problem: If I go over to a virtual terminal with C-Alt-F2, log in, and start an X session with "startx -- :2", everything starts smoothly, but a few seconds into the session, screen refreshes get very slow: it takes about 1s for firefox to repaint the screen during a scroll, for instance. Running programs which send a lot of output in an emacs shell becomes pretty tortuous. I don't see this problem with screen refreshes if I log in in the usual way.

Second problem: If I make sawfish my window manager, and log in using the standard login manager, everything runs fine until I start iswitch-window. When I do that, the menu listing the available windows shows up, but there is no response to keypresses. Clicking mouse-1 makes the window menu disappear, but still no response to the keyboard. Clicking mouse-1 again makes it reappear, and so on in a cycle, but that's the only response I can get.

Context: I just upgraded to karmic after a long stretch of using hardy. In the past, I've avoided the standard Ubuntu desktop by using the gdm login manager, and starting my own X session in ~/.xsession. With the latest version of gdm, that no longer works. I also had problems running gdm-2.20 in its place, although I can't remember exactly what the problem was at the moment. As an alternative, I started logging in using a virtual terminal and starting my X session with startx as described above.

Basically, I am looking for a solution to one of these problems so that I can get back to work.

I am pretty addicted to sawfish; I've been using it for the better part of a decade. iswitch-window is a particularly useful feature. However, I am starting to think that sawfish is too old and unused to interoperate cleanly with a modern desktop.

fivebells
April 13th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I figured out (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sawfish/+bug/562573) how to fix the sawfish bug, at least.