PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Install Ubuntu Using a Virtual Machine

joehenderson
April 13th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hi
I wanted to install ubuntu using virtual pc, in the past a had successfully done this using Virtual PC 2007, however I didn't like the software and so uninstalled and i am now trying to use Virtual Box instead. I am running a 64-bit operating system and processor that both work fine, however whenever I try to install ubuntu this message appears " This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU." I don't really understand what this means, i know very little about Kernels etc. The first time i tried i used the 64 bit ubunbtu using Virtual Box it didn't work so i tried 32-bit. Both with no success, i also tried with virtual pc, no luck again. Nothings different with the pc and it worked before. I run windows 7 as my main os and have a sempron si-42 (i did notice that the program seemed to think i had an x64 Athlon?)

Thanks for reading all that, any solutions
Just done a check and it the disk does run if you boot the pc as normal, not under virtual pc conditions.