PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote install of Ubuntu 10.04

Munkoil
April 13th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hi,

Im currently running a server with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop. The reason for the Desktop version is that some of the programs I need to run need X.

Is there a way for me to do a clean install of ubuntu 10.04 later this month remotely over ssh or such? This is because no keyboard, mouse or screen is connected to the computer and I don't want to search for them in the attic.

I like a clean install because there is lots of apps installed directly from tarball that now exists in the repository.

Any tip is appreciated!

Best Regards

Henrik

kismeras
April 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone. Not hijacking this thread, but i want to know the answer too. I have a similar situation:

Here is my scenario:
I have an old P4 desktop just sitting in a corner doing nothing. It's a P4 3.40Ghz, 4GB DDR2 533 or maybe 400Mhz ram, 80GB WD HDD....etc, etc.
It currently has Windows XP Pro installed on it now. If i turn it on i can remote into it and use it no problem. It does not have a keyboard, mouse or monitor attached to it.

My question is:
Can i use something like Nlite to make an ubuntu CD with all the install questions pre-answered? Or is there some way i can install Ubuntu on it without having to plug a monitor into it and doing it from the box itself? I don't care about the XP installation that' on there. I'm looking to format the drive and only have Ubuntu installed on the machine. Is this at all possible? Maybe with some sort of install script or something like that?

Thanks