PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop to Terminal

ich555
April 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hey,
I got ubuntu and no close to nothing.so I set it top a windows desktop.now:is it possible to get from a folder where I am directly into the terminal?
or:is there a (desktop) tool to convert pictures into other formats?
and:why cant I open the folder Te-Damm 2 with "cd"?
further: how to get programs into autostart?
and: why does the stand by modus triggers a new start?

questinons asked by urgency, even 1 answered is geart! Thanks!
teo

MooPi
April 13th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Gimp can convert images to multiple formats. Opening a terminal is as easy as going to the menu/accessories/terminal.

conradin
April 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Question 1: You are on the desktop and want to go to a terminal window? press: ctrl+alt+F2
Or ctrl+alt+F# where # is anything but 7, where ctrl+alt+F7 is the graphical terminal. Press ctrl+alt+F7 to return to the GUI.

His
April 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hey,
and:why cant I open the folder Te-Damm 2 with "cd"?
further: how to get programs into autostart?
and: why does the stand by modus triggers a new start?

to 'cd' to a directory with certain charactors in it such as space ' ' or andforsand '&' you have to put a backslash '\' first
So the command would be 'cd Te-Damm\ 2'
The same is true for opening a file. If it were a file named Te & Damm.txt you would have to open it with the command 'vi Te\ \&\ Damm.txt'

To auto start a program, Systen>Preferences>Startup Applications (this is assuming you are using Gnome)

And what is stand by modus?

His
April 13th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Also, about 'cd'ing into that directory, make sure you use capital letters when the letter is capital. Linux is case sensitive.

codemaniac
April 13th, 2010, 10:19 PM
why cant I open the folder Te-Damm 2 with "cd"?
to change to the directory mentioned above you can also use the 'tab-completion'..
cd Te-Da[+tab key]

if multiple folders with the starting name 'Te-Damn' exist ,press tab twice to see the alternatives....this process comes handy when you are dealing with dirs/files that have long and complicated names..