PDA

View Full Version : How Much Time Do You Save

Khakilang
April 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM
So how much time do you save when converting to Linux. During my experience with Window XP. I would say something like 2 hours per month. Twice a month I have to update virus database, scan and kill virus take about 30 minute and I have to do twice a month. Than system clean up about 15 minute, clean cookies and browsing history about 5 minute. Window update automatically which slow my browsing. And finally defrag my hard disk at least one a month just to make sure. Not to mention repairing Window when its broken.

Never done any of that so far with Linux. Hope I don't have to and now I got 2 hour free time at least to spare. So how about you guys.
:guitar:

undecim
April 13th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I would say about -6 hours.

I save about 2 hours as well not having to deal with viruses, but now I spend 8 hours a month tweaking my computer and doing other such things for fun.

Kdar
April 13th, 2010, 07:11 PM
maybe 6 or more.

Same reasons like those which were stated above my post. But I guess, faster boot time adds to this too. I can more quickly start working on something, without having to wait for ever for Windows to boot up.

madjr
April 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM
1 or 2 hours a week

am afraid of windows specially when buying stuff and using my credit card or bank accounts, you never know what malware it has.

lots of it goes undetected each day

i had my credit card and passwords stolen before using it

i would not even input my passwords on it

i will never go back to having to scan and scan

Simian Man
April 13th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I waste much more time with Linux. I spend time tweaking things and messing with packages, fixing problems and so on.

I never really have a problem with viruses on Windows. Everything there just works but is boring.

NightwishFan
April 13th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I have my machine set up to manage itself fairly well. If I reinstall I have scripts to get my settings and backups automatically, including copying my packages to the cache, and installing everything I had before the reinstall.

Just run the bash script and its all back.

gemmakaru
April 13th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah I "waste" more time on Linux but its all voluntary and all for my own education not because Linux doesn't work.

JamezQ
April 13th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I lose time with linux because ever since i got it I spend more time on the computer :P

aysiu
April 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I don't save any time. I just have more fun using my computer, and an easier time installing and removing software.