PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I can't login after re-installing nautilus

JJ_save
April 13th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Hi, this is my first post. I wasn't sure where to put this question, but since it involves Nautilus, I'll post it here.

After installing Nautilus-Elementary (http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/nautilus-elementary-simplified-nautilus.html), and deciding i didn't like it too much, I decided to go back to original Nautilus. So I uninstalled Nautilus through the package manager and then re-installed it.

I rebooted my computer, and now I can't seem to get past the login stage. I get asked for a user-name and password (which i was never prompted to do before), and when i enter it, nothing. The Ubuntu loading page will appear like it's loading, but i just end up back at the login box.

I'm kinda at my wits-end here and I don't what to do. Right now I'm using a Linux Mint LiveCD to get around this.

My computer runs Ubuntu 9.10. I really hope there is a way to fix this problem without having to format my computer.

Thanks in advance.

MooPi
April 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Nautilus carries large gnome dependencies and uninstalling and reinstalling may have borked the whole mess. You'll need to boot to recovery mode to correct.
At boot prompt hit the shift key to enter grub. While in recovery drop down to
dpkg repair broken packages Then try a reboot and see if this corrects the problem. If not boot back to recovery mode and drop down to root shell.
apt-get autoremove
apt-get clean
apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
apt-get update
apt-get install ubuntu-desktopHopefully this will install the desktop again and clean up hanging programs.

JJ_save
April 13th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I tried doing what you said, Moopi, but i fail to update since my wireless internet connection is not found. Is there anyway I can setup a wireless internet connection through the terminal?

MooPi
April 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Your going to need your install CD.
Boot to recovery mode and drop to root shell.

apt-cdrom addThis should add your CD to the source list so you can make the changes.