PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [URGENT] Beta to Full version

SkullTraill
April 13th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Say perhaps I install ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 2, then when the full version comes out, can I upgrade from within Ubuntu, or do I have to download again?

[I am too eager to wait for 16 days :P]

lisati
April 13th, 2010, 08:58 AM
If you keep up with the updates, you'll be up-to-date when the official release occurs, and won't have to reinstall

mcduck
April 13th, 2010, 08:58 AM
You don't need to do anything special, just install all the normal updates offered by the Update Manager and your Beta will, at some point, become the same as the final version.

edit: Of course it should be mentioned that even though there is only 16 days left to the final release, it still is a beta, and things may break. If you want to run the development version you should have the skills required to work around breakages, and to report the bugs. (For example yesterday's kernel update caused 10.04 to freeze during the boot for many of us.

..and the discussion about development release happens here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=377, make sure to read the sticky threads in that forum section!

SkullTraill
April 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
You don't need to do anything special, just install all the normal updates offered by the Update Manager and your Beta will, at some point, become the same as the final version.
Yay! Thats great news! But will it still continue to collect bug info/ etc, like normal Betas do?

mcduck
April 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Yay! Thats great news! But will it still continue to collect bug info/ etc, like normal Betas do?

It doesn't automatically collect any bug info (at least in any different ways than the normal releases do), that's the user's responsibility.

The only difference between a development release and the final release is that when it's called "development release" it's still under development (and because of that might break every now and then).

SkullTraill
April 13th, 2010, 09:12 AM
It doesn't automatically collect any bug info (at least in any different ways than the normal releases do), that's the user's responsibility.

The only difference between a development release and the final release is that when it's called "development release" it's still under development (and because of that might break every now and then).
Great! Now that I know my Ubuntu will eventually turn into the full version, I'll dl right away! Thanks for your help mate!