PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between an IS strategy and IT strategy?

Luke has no name
April 13th, 2010, 04:04 AM
I'm having trouble understanding the real difference between what people call Information Systems Strategy" and "Information Technology Strategy". Some texts and articles use these terms interchangeably; some say an IS strategy encompasses an IT strategy. Any thoughts?

lisati
April 13th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I'm not fully acquainted with either term, but will hazard a guess that the technology side focuses on the tools available, and the systems side focuses more on the process that uses the tools.

toupeiro
April 13th, 2010, 06:42 AM
It's going to vary from company to company, mostly depending on the size, from my experience. In large companies, IS can be more infrastructure oriented, which is a segment of an IT department. In other companies, IS can be everything, having no distinguishing traits from IT.

Think of it like a Job title. I used to have a job title of network administrator, and while I did network administration, I also did more server support in that position than I ever have. So, it truly depends on the organization.

fatality_uk
April 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
It essentially boils down to the same thing. I have been head of IT and head of IS, the one main difference is that IS generally has a greater input into wider business such as having a presence at board level and dealing with strategy. IT generally deals with the hardware/software processes.

Khakilang
April 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
IT strategy I think is base more on the infra structure like hardware and networking. Information System strategy is base more on software like generating customers database, sales report, market research and information for them to use to generate more business.

sydbat
April 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I'm not fully acquainted with either term, but will hazard a guess that the technology side focuses on the tools available, and the systems side focuses more on the process that uses the tools.This.

It essentially boils down to the same thing. I have been head of IT and head of IS, the one main difference is that IS generally has a greater input into wider business such as having a presence at board level and dealing with strategy. IT generally deals with the hardware/software processes.And this.