PDA

View Full Version : what happened to my webhost? HELP!

winjeel
April 13th, 2010, 03:20 AM
How can I find out what's happened to my webhost? I'm with cyberultra.net, and both of my websites (hosted on the same name servers) have gone down just last night. Then I went to my web host's website, and they too are down! I checked whois, and I'm still there and current, and I checked my webhost and see that there was an update just yesterday, but they are still current until the end of this month, at least. Their nameservers are different to mine, but... what happened to my webhost?

The bit that I'm panicing about is that my students need one of my websites this week, they need my e-mail address this week, my parents and friends need my e-mail addresses, AND I'm doing a presentation introducing Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) to teachers who haven't used CALL before towards the end of next month. From my experiences, it can take a long time to transfer a domain, and if my webhost (panicing, assuming the worst, hoping for the best) has gone bankrupt, then how long does that take to transfer to a new host and name servers?

Also, this is the start of the new academic year last week and this week for Japanese universities, and there's been a whole bunch of new registrations on my SMF forums by my students, and their very first forum posts (ever in their lives)... ARRRRRRrrrrrrrr I don't have a back up of the mysql databases for these new registrations and posts!!!! I want to cry and hide in a dark hole somewhere...

Uncle Spellbinder
April 13th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Found this: http://www.sitelogr.com/s/cyberultra.net

Scrolling to the bottom lists a contact

winjeel
April 13th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Found this: http://www.sitelogr.com/s/cyberultra.net

Scrolling to the bottom lists a contact

Thanks. After some searching I found that, and the domain host that CyberUltra uses as well. Contacted the domain host and still awaiting a reply. However, CyberUltra is back online now (heart beat returning to normal), my websites are live again, mysql databases backed up, and life returning to normal... Now, to find out what happened.

madjr
April 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
how much you pay for this host?

there are tons of cheap and good hosts

the older, the better or ones with free trials

if you need like free space fast, then open a blog or something, maybe even a facebook page

winjeel
April 13th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks. These guys have been around since 2003, which is moderately old in the internet world, I think. A few months ago they had hard-drive problems in their servers, and seemed to have done a marvellous job in rescuing data and replacing the drives. At that time they did e-mail me, and kept me (and others, I assume) updated on what was going on. But this time it was (and still is at the moment) a complete information blackout.

madjr
April 13th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks. These guys have been around since 2003, which is moderately old in the internet world, I think. A few months ago they had hard-drive problems in their servers, and seemed to have done a marvellous job in rescuing data and replacing the drives. At that time they did e-mail me, and kept me (and others, I assume) updated on what was going on. But this time it was (and still is at the moment) a complete information blackout.

did you prepaid a year or something?

i dont recommend prepaying more than 3 months

weird i never heard of em and i've been researching hosts like since 2000

aysiu
April 13th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I'd recommend my host, ICDSoft.

When my server went down three years ago, they even posted an update on the Ubuntu Forums about it:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1969313#post1969313