PDA

View Full Version : A computer electrocuted me today

sandyd
April 13th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I just encountered my first electrocuting computer. (at work)
For some reason, the front panel (metal) has been mysteriously electrified...

i really wonder how that guy was treating his computer....

and no, luckily it wasnt straight out of the power outlet, it was aparently leaking from two PCI express cards that had somehow gotten there without anyone installing it.... (or at least its not in the install log). whoever did it installed it completely wrong...

JDShu
April 13th, 2010, 03:00 AM
o.O

Glad you're safe!

texaswriter
April 13th, 2010, 03:04 AM
I just encountered my first electrocuting computer. (at work)
For some reason, the front panel (metal) has been mysteriously electrified...

i really wonder how that guy was treating his computer....

and no, luckily it wasnt straight out of the power outlet, it was aparently leaking from two PCI express cards that had somehow gotten there without anyone installing it.... (or at least its not in the install log). whoever did it installed it completely wrong...

:confused:Wow, that's incredible that somebody mis-installed a card so wrong that it could do that... Glad you made it though!!!

TheNerdAL
April 13th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Glad you are okay. ^_^

Khakilang
April 13th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I got quite a number of shock during my work. Normally it is due to electric leak, motherboard not properly mounted, power supply problem and the list goes on. Make sure you have a rubber mat on the floor you can stand on.

worx101
April 13th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Sorta same problem at a hotel i used to support...

Their front desk was having a problem and when i went to check on it I moved the PC just a tiny bit and a huge electric arch flashed between the machines and knocked out power to the whole office area :S

Chronon
April 13th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Electrocution is death due to electric shock.

CharlesA
April 13th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Electrocution is death due to electric shock.
And?

I've seen some nasty arching when a machine's PSU blew up in my face. That wasn't a pretty sight at all. Scared the hell out of me tho.

Chronon
April 13th, 2010, 03:44 AM
And it's usually rather difficult to post messages on internet forums when you are dead. :p

Wiebelhaus
April 13th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I've seen that happen when the Mainboard is mounted without stand-offs , it electrified the case.

Had a guy one time , try to install his ram while the thing was plugged in, it arced (Black Circled Scorch marks) through the PCB to the outside of the white backside side cover and into (He says, I only verified the PCB and case damage) his carpet.

haha he was a goof ball that looked just like Side Show Bob , I swear.

uRock
April 13th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I have felt the wrath of a 220 before, I am glad you didn't get hurt.

Chronon
April 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM
It seems that these cases aren't being properly grounded. Usually the case/enclosure for a circuit should be attached to earth ground (the third prong in the wall outlet). Then, if there is a failure in the circuit that allows the (high compared to ground) voltage pathway to short to the chassis, it can be drained away and prevent shocks like this.

steveneddy
April 13th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Glad you are OK Carlee.

Wiebelhaus
April 13th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I have felt the wrath of a 220 before, I am glad you didn't get hurt.

Yea when I was installing Electrical controls for boilers I got hit (My Fault) by a 440 Slug , it literally held me for 30 seconds and then threw me on the ground , burned the crap out of my hands , the OSHA and Medics tripped the heck out , the whole thing was insane and impossible to explain the feeling because your brain is still aware and 100% Functional while your body is violently vibrating uncontrollably , I thought while it was happening that this was it.

lisati
April 13th, 2010, 04:07 AM
It seems that these cases aren't being properly grounded. Usually the case/enclosure for a circuit should be attached to earth ground (the third prong in the wall outlet). Then, if there is a failure in the circuit that allows the (high compared to ground) voltage pathway to short to the chassis, it can be drained away and prevent shocks like this.

... and hopefully trip the circuit breaker/blow the fuse if the current is high enough, prompting people to try to figure out what has gone wrong.

My own scary experience was at a very young age, possibly three or four, and was something along the lines of "I wonder what will happen if I put this nail here, this wire here, and flick this switch". When I came to....

uRock
April 13th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Yea when I was installing Electrical controls for boilers I got hit (My Fault) by a 440 Slug , it literally held me for 30 seconds and then threw me on the ground , burned the crap out of my hands , the OSHA and Medics tripped the heck out , the whole thing was insane and impossible to explain the feeling because your brain is still aware and 100% Functional while your body is violently vibrating uncontrollably , I thought while it was happening that this was it.

Wow! You are lucky to be hear at all.

The breaker tripped almost immediately in my case. When I got hit, I wasn't the path of least resistance, so I didn't get hit hard.

Wiebelhaus
April 13th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Wow! You are lucky to be hear at all.

The breaker tripped almost immediately in my case. When I got hit, I wasn't the path of least resistance, so I didn't get hit hard.

Yea , that's what everyone said , I can assure you though that it will never happen again. If your on a construction site doing cabling , controls , terminals or anything anywhere in your life really, Always follow protocol even if it's a pain in the rear end. Protocol and safety procedures are a gift from those before us , that my friend is what I learned.

Chronon
April 13th, 2010, 04:40 AM
... and hopefully trip the circuit breaker/blow the fuse if the current is high enough, prompting people to try to figure out what has gone wrong.

That's right. If the high voltage side of the circuit has a low resistance path to ground then large amounts of current will flow, prompting fuses to blow and circuits to trip, if things have been built in a sane manner.

witeshark17
April 13th, 2010, 04:47 AM
What an idiot with electric skills! Glad you're alright! :KS

skierkyles
April 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM
hmmm.... Computers electrocuting there users?

This is obviously their first step towards world domination....

lisati
April 13th, 2010, 06:19 AM
That's right. If the high voltage side of the circuit has a low resistance path to ground then large amounts of current will flow, prompting fuses to blow and circuits to trip, if things have been built in a sane manner.

As long as the path of least resistance isn't through people! :)

Chronon
April 13th, 2010, 06:25 AM
As long as the path of least resistance isn't through people! :)

Right, that's the whole point of attaching the chassis to earth ground. :)

mcooke1
April 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Right, that's the whole point of attaching the chassis to earth ground. :)

Yes, I also make sure I'm protected by the installation of residual current devices.

Swagman
April 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Glad to hear your ok.

Unless that's a build up of static then that's a very serious psu fault. One that really shouldn't happen. Max voltage inside the pc should be no more than 12v.

I would like to know just what the heck went wrong with that machine.

Chronon
April 13th, 2010, 11:22 AM
12 V can produce a lot of current if it's dropped through a low resistance. (Consider that this is the same potential difference as a car battery.)

DryGrain
April 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I've been getting low-voltage zaps from my netbook when I brush up against the S-Video, USB port, or the sound in/out on the left side... :(

hmmm.... Computers electrocuting there users?

This is obviously their first step towards world domination....

I for one welcome our new robotic overlords.

aeiah
April 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM
i got electrocuted by a powershower in bolivia once. that was a scary experience. i had visions of being found dead, bloated and naked in a pile at the bottom of the shower cubicle.

ronnielsen1
April 13th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Unless that's a build up of static then that's a very serious psu fault. One that really shouldn't happen. Max voltage inside the pc should be no more than 12v.

I would like to know just what the heck went wrong with that machine.

Agree.

As an electrician, I've had my share of scary zaps but I had a learning experience on can lights on a house I wired. The wiring on the can lights is stranded instead of solid and one of the strands was sticking out of the wirenut touching the case. It didn't have enough contact to trip the breaker but it did have enough to provide 130 Volts to everything metal. The plumber wasn't amused.

Wiebelhaus
April 13th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Agree.

As an electrician, I've had my share of scary zaps but I had a learning experience on can lights on a house I wired. The wiring on the can lights is stranded instead of solid and one of the strands was sticking out of the wirenut touching the case. It didn't have enough contact to trip the breaker but it did have enough to provide 130 Volts to everything metal. The plumber wasn't amused.

Haha , awesome.

Chronon
April 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM
i got electrocuted by a powershower in bolivia once. that was a scary experience. i had visions of being found dead, bloated and naked in a pile at the bottom of the shower cubicle.

I am glad they successfully resuscitated you.

_h_
April 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM
[deleted]

aeiah
April 14th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I am glad they successfully resuscitated you.

i was going by this definition (http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/electrocute?view=uk)

to injure or kill. not just kill. i was being facetious anyway, pedant :p

Dayofswords
April 14th, 2010, 12:01 PM
it seems the web cam of the computer you were on sent a picture of the whole thing around the world, here it is =p

http://mysimsstories.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/laineyelectrocuted.gif

oh and the stock photo of the computer you were working on
http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/1/4/6/electric_computer.jpg

<3 google image search

sanderella
April 14th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Does nobody have an RCD unit to prevent electrocution? :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

Every household should have one installed, and in the UK most houses have them now.

Paqman
April 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Over the years I've developed the habit of always checking everything with a meter before touching it. It sounds obvious, but it's easy to skip it when you're busy or under pressure.

The Real Dave
April 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Glad your ok :) It's about 12v ya?

I've been zapped by some capicators in a PSU before, but that's the worst I've gotten from computers. I have been zapped by mains though >.< Not fun

uRock
April 14th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Over the years I've developed the habit of always checking everything with a meter before touching it. It sounds obvious, but it's easy to skip it when you're busy or under pressure.

After doing some work in my house that was rewired by idiots, I do the same thing before working on any receptacles.

Paqman
April 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM
After doing some work in my house that was rewired by idiots, I do the same thing before working on any receptacles.

I recently bought a house previously owned by a dude with some scary DIY "skills". I popped a light switch off the other day and he'd terminated the earth on the plastic body of the fitting instead of the metal faceplate. Utter facepalm.

chriswyatt
April 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I remember getting a static shock off a monitor at junior school (years ago) because I was putting my hand in front of the screen, then some kid told my teacher and I got in trouble for it, lol. Pathetic.

Wonder if I would've got in trouble if I had touched a railing and got a static shock :lolflag:

Chronon
April 14th, 2010, 11:00 PM
i was going by this definition (http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/electrocute?view=uk)

to injure or kill. Not just kill. I was being facetious anyway, pedant :p

:p

lisati
April 14th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the reminder to look for mine. I haven't used it much, but it might be useful to have available.

There was something in the news recently about the need to take care. http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/100456/diy-warning-after-man-electrocuted

tom66
April 14th, 2010, 11:22 PM
The PC should be earthed to the PSU because the ground wire connects to the case of the PC and the case is usually metal. Unless I'm missing something...

Paqman
April 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM
The PC should be earthed to the PSU because the ground wire connects to the case of the PC and the case is usually metal. Unless I'm missing something...

Absolutely. Everything electrical should have the chassis at ground.

uRock
April 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Yes, in a world where people do things right.