PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI driver quality?

ZeldaFan
April 13th, 2010, 01:07 AM
How do the drivers of current ATI gpu's on linux compare with the ATI gpu performance on Windows? How developed are the drivers for ATI on linux, compared to the Nvidia drivers?

I was always told Nvidia is the way to go with linux, but there are some laptops that I am interested in that only ship with ATI cards and I'm wondering if thats going to be a dealbreaker.

waynefoutz
April 13th, 2010, 02:21 AM
How do the drivers of current ATI gpu's on linux compare with the ATI gpu performance on Windows? How developed are the drivers for ATI on linux, compared to the Nvidia drivers?

I was always told Nvidia is the way to go with linux, but there are some laptops that I am interested in that only ship with ATI cards and I'm wondering if thats going to be a dealbreaker.

I'd say it's a deal breaker. If you buy a modern day ATI you should be fine for a while. I bought my Dell Latitude D531 just weeks before the E series came out, about a year and a half ago. It came with the Radeon Mobility x1270. About 6 months after I bought it, ATI decided to drop linux support for it. So I'm stuck with the old driver from ATI. That driver worked great with Ubuntu 8.10, but 9.04 and above I can't use it, so I'm stuck with open source drivers. The open source drivers were pretty bad a year and a half ago, but they are getting better. In 9.04, I had NO OpenGL, no 3d whatsoever. In 9.10, more things worked, a few games like Neverball worked fine, but Google Earth would not load. in 10.04 more stuff works, Google Earth is usable, but still doesn't display properly. I still get the best performance running 8.10 with the old driver, Catalyst 9.3, but 8.10 goes end of life at the end of this month.

Bottom line, if I had to do this over, I would not have bought ATI. My daughter has an older Dell Latitude with a pitiful intel graphics chip in it, with half the video memory my ATI has, and it runs Ubuntu flawlessly. The open source drivers are coming along, you can definitely tell someone is working on them, but I'd buy something else if I were you.

ZeldaFan
April 13th, 2010, 03:22 AM
That sorta sucks, I was looking forward to getting an HP envy, but they're all loaded with ATI. And all of the Dell lappies are loaded with ATI too. What the hell happened to Nvidia...