PDA

View Full Version : Beam deflection, what is the section of the Beam?

frenchn00b
April 12th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hello,

Mecanics? Well there is a difficult question.

One has a beam with a mass on the top of 2 tons, equal to F as Force, as shown below, almost the same:
http://chestofbooks.com/reference/Encyclopedia-Britannica-2/images/Fig-71-Beam-bent-by-external-loads.png

The question is to evaluate the beam section if it were wood, steel, and concrete. Anyone has any ideas?

I have received a list with the values for the 3 candidates:
Wood E = 10'000 N/mm2
Steel E = 200'000 N/mm2
Concrete E = ? N/mm2, I had no time to write it down last week:(

Is there the final formula somewhere? So how to get the section of that beam? is there teh solution?

Help in meca !

Doctor Mike
April 12th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Hello,

One has a beam with a mass on the top of 2 tons, equal to F as Force, as shown below, almost the same:
http://chestofbooks.com/reference/Encyclopedia-Britannica-2/images/Fig-71-Beam-bent-by-external-loads.png

The question is to evaluate the beam section if it were wood, steel, and concrete. Anyone has any ideas?

Wood E = 10'000 N/mm2
Steel E = 200'000 N/mm2

Is there the final formula somewhere? So how to get the section of that beam? is there teh solution?

Help in meca !You should not ask others to do your homework....

frenchn00b
April 12th, 2010, 09:30 PM
You should not ask others to do your homework....

Well, learning is working on it... I promise I work very hard. Help is welcome to progress sometimes, you know... Well, if you knew, you would have helped. I am sure it is always giving good positive feelings to help students or others.

pricetech
April 12th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I am sure it is always giving good positive feelings to help students or others.

Better feelings come from knowing you have "taught them to fish" rather than "given them a fish".

_h_
April 12th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Hello,

Wood E = 10'000 N/mm2
Steel E = 200'000 N/mm2

Help in meca !

You're asking this on a linux forum? Oh my.... lol

Doctor Mike
April 12th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Well, learning is working on it... I promise I work very hard. Help is welcome to progress sometimes, you know... Well, if you knew, you would have helped. I am sure it is always giving good positive feelings to help students or others.
In short no...

Chronon
April 13th, 2010, 12:59 AM

Asking for assistance on homework is against the forum rules.

JC Cheloven
April 13th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Is the force concentrated or distributed? (no load appear in the figure).
In the concrete section armed? (otherwise it wouldn't resist any load).
Is the foundation actually as shown? (the beam would fall miserably under a tiny load).

If it's a real question, and it is about a circular beam as it seems to be, you need sudo aptitude install curved_beam_theory
It will install to your /body/brain directory
:-)

Doctor Mike
April 13th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Is the force concentrated or distributed? (no load appear in the figure).
In the concrete section armed? (otherwise it wouldn't resist any load).
Is the foundation actually as shown? (the beam would fall miserably under a tiny load).

If it's a real question, and it is about a circular beam as it seems to be, you need sudo aptitude install curved_beam_theory
It will install to your /body/brain directory
:-)And some things are worse...

sisco311
April 13th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Is there the final formula somewhere?

yep! ;)

Asking for assistance on homework is against the forum rules.

Actually, asking for assistance is not against the forums rules, but asking for the final formula is. :)

OP: rtfm, rtfm & if you have any specific question(s) feel free to post it!

Iowan
April 13th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Closed for review.
# While we are happy to serve as a resource for hints and for asking questions when you get stuck and need a little help, the Ubuntu Forums should not be thought of as a homework service. Please do not post your homework assignments expecting someone else to do it for you. Any such threads will be taken offline and warnings or infractions may be issued.

lisati
April 13th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Beaten to it.....