PDA

View Full Version : Trip down memory lane - cleaning garage

drreed
April 12th, 2010, 08:53 PM
A few things I found:

IBM System 370 Assembly Language Programming Manual
Several books on DOS, hard bound, including such things as "Breaking the 640K memory barrier - extending RAM" and an "Undocumented DOS" book, my intro to hacking!

How about PC Techniques? I have several copies, covering such topics as building graphics libraries, B-Tree libraries, etc. When I told my son we used to hand code our "windows" and GUI apps, I don't think he understood, I have several code print-outs (on green-bar and 9pin dot matrix) to show him.

About a years worth of Programmers Journalm lots of articles about OOP.

Remember Byte magazine? How about the Byte Network BBS? I found the user manual (downloaded and printed out on a dot-matrix) for my Wildcat BBS I used to run at home.

DBASE III manual (plus the disks on 5 1/4" floppy). Turbo Pascal, and Windows 3.1.

A box full of assorted serial cable parts for making null-modems, RS232 TTY cables, Printer cables, etc. (Before there were local stores that sold them, we bought components through the mail and built our own)

A box of electronics plans and assorted parts, including my design of a laser beam communicator, that used a beam (from an early grocery store scanner) and a parabolic reflector to to communicate over a mile away. I never got it working actually, but thats the tech they use to bounce light off glass and pick up room vibrations, eavesdropping on the occupants - I think you can buy them in spy stores now)

All of the receipts from my first IBM "compatible", a smokin' 286-12mhz w/ 1 mb ram, (thats 36 DIP's kids, 8 + a parity in each bank) 60mb RLL drive, and a hercules graphics card. Also found the receipt where I upgraded to EGA for $160. (Recall I'd already studied up on extending ram!)

This was right after Intel released the details of their processor and manufacturers could finally compete with IBM. Before that, Compaq tried, and I can remember demoing them in the store, and they always locked up after a few minutes of running time. About all you could do was stare at the curser, if you tried to do anything, it locked up!

I also found all of my grad school notebooks. Every program I wrote had similar teacher comments " - 2 points, Need to document this ---> " LOL

Yep, that's why I liked UNIX so much. That Unisys 5000 (NCR Tower) w/ 32mb RAM just hummed along. If I broke something, a call to Unisys tech support was always answered by somebody who actually knew what they were doing. They would step me through compiling kernels, repairing file systems, and reading core dumps. MS was a joke in comparison, a toy, something to experiment with for those of us that didn't have $70K to drop on a real computer.

lisati
April 12th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Ahhh, System 370 assembly language! Those were the days! I think I might have a workbook somewhere, it has been a while since I've had a proper look at what old books I have stored away.

Howardmarvels
April 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I have run across desktops that were huge and in the way!

------------------

pilates machine (http://pilatesmachine.blogsavy.com/)

PhoHammer
April 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I like to hear about all this old stuff. It's interesting!

gemmakaru
April 12th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Wow what haul. I had to throw away most of my stuff years ago for the space. I still miss it. No wonder I am single. :(

Doctor Mike
April 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM
A box of electronics plans and assorted parts, including my design of a laser beam communicator, that used a beam (from an early grocery store scanner) and a parabolic reflector to to communicate over a mile away. I never got it working actually, but thats the tech they use to bounce light off glass and pick up room vibrations, eavesdropping on the occupants - I think you can buy them in spy stores now)
The lasers used in grocery store scanners are not tightly focused enough even with good scatter absorption sensing equipment. Power vs focus. Not to mention angle... etc.

drreed
April 12th, 2010, 10:07 PM
The lasers used in grocery store scanners are not tightly focused enough even with good scatter absorption sensing equipment. Power vs focus. Not to mention angle... etc.

LOL and I always thought it was because I didn't know how to use the rented oscilloscope. They were like $1,500 to purchase for a "good enough" one. I rented one locally for assembly, and couldn't afford to rent it again for troubleshooting.

Oh well . . .

Doctor Mike
April 13th, 2010, 12:44 AM
LOL and I always thought it was because I didn't know how to use the rented oscilloscope. They were like $1,500 to purchase for a "good enough" one. I rented one locally for assembly, and couldn't afford to rent it again for troubleshooting.

Oh well . . .Why were you trying to create a spy tool?:)

Khakilang
April 13th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I still have the 3.r" 1.44MB floppy disk drives and a 56Kbps dial up serial modem.

TheNerdAL
April 13th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Wow what haul. I had to throw away most of my stuff years ago for the space. I still miss it. No wonder I am single. :(

:( Yeah, but just to let you know, us geeks make the best boyfriends, you can even Google it. :D So that's a win for us!

lisati
April 13th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I still have the 3.r" 1.44MB floppy disk drives and a 56Kbps dial up serial modem.

I have two 5.25" floppy drives sitting on a shelf in a cupboard, and somewhere there's a 3.5" drive that AFAIK has never been used in a machine. :)