PDA

View Full Version : I need a little help with a new web site please...

fatality_uk
April 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I just had an idea that made me chuckle and who knows, it might prompt you guys for an idea or two.

After seeing a friend's Twitter post I just had an idea. My friend, who is usually a rather verbose chap, put just three words to describe a bad patch in his life.

It made me think of how some of the great speeches of history would have been different, had Twitter been the prevalent form of communication at the time.

I love language and this idea just made me cringe, but also made me chuckle a little.

So, I just grabbed the domain www.twitterise.co.cc and stuck a page up there with a couple of examples. Please visit it and see what I mean.

Sorry if the idea seems infantile, but I have a comparatively juvenile sense of what is funny.

I need some help with the site if someone has some free time. I stopped coding web sites when
<table><tr><td>TEXT</td></tr></table> was considered cutting edge. So if anyone has some graphics experience or CSS/JavaScript/HTML/5 experience I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

koenn
April 12th, 2010, 09:05 PM
site is down for maintenance.

crash course web authoring :

get Kompozer : http://www.kompozer.net/
make a page or two in the WYSISWG editor, then see what it looks like in html & CSS. Should give you an idea about how to not use tables and still get a decent page layout. Take it from there.

fatality_uk
April 12th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Here's what was there

Original:

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Twitterised:

Bored today
Went for a walk
saw some flowers

-----

Original:

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today!

Twitterised:

C'mon people
Chill the hell out and let's just get on huh!!!!!! :) :)
PeAcE oUt :D lol

-----

Original:

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head

Twitterised:

Dudes, we can so like pwn them
w00t

Doctor Mike
April 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Here's what was thereI see the value. You can use prepackaged site creation tools, then do wysiwyg editing from a browser, then tweak settings from a text file. As for graphics that's the fun part...:)

fatality_uk
April 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Going to give myself a e day crash course in dhtml and building sites using CSS :)
Then chuck something out there

sydbat
April 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
You could always install some blogware like Word Press and then simply type in your funnies. And they are funny...especially the
Dudes, we can so like pwn them
w00t

fatality_uk
May 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Wrote in by hand in the end. Did some research on CSS and latest web design techniques. Still got to add the feature to allow new entries to be made, but have to say that CSS design is a lot more efficient than I was used to.

http://www.twitterise.co.cc/

And guess what, it renders perfectly in FireFox, Opera, Chrome, Chromium and which browser lets the whole show down? Yep you guessed it, IE, doh!

Paqman
May 10th, 2010, 09:32 AM
have to say that CSS design is a lot more efficient than I was used to.

CSS is the nuts. Get amongst it!

Phrea
May 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM
It doesn't seem to work all that well for me, some links disappear behind the right twitterise thingy.
Browser: Opera 10.10

See attached screenshot.

EDIT: I know Opera is zoomed in like nuts, I'm a bit hard of seeing, and I tried zooming back to 100%, and the problem still persisted.

fatality_uk
May 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM
It doesn't seem to work all that well for me, some links disappear behind the right twitterise thingy.
Browser: Opera 10.10

See attached screenshot.

EDIT: I know Opera is zoomed in like nuts, I'm a bit hard of seeing, and I tried zooming back to 100%, and the problem still persisted.

Opps, small hangover there sorry. Fixed, thanks for pointing it out!

Phrea
May 10th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Opps, small hangover there sorry. Fixed, thanks for pointing it out!

Hangover in the making here. ;)
You fixed it, links are gone.

fatality_uk
May 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM
A well worn phrase, but when I get time, will get the ability to post to the site up and running. Hopefully you guys can throw up some funny posts.

A quick view point! Should I require people to register to the site before posting? My gut feeling is no. but I really don't want to have to clean up the site day in and day out from "unwanted" posts!!

Might try it without first and then see if it keeps viewable.
Opinions welcome.