PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Give reasons to upgrade to 10.04

ram2500
April 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hello Ubuntu Forums fellow members,

I am not one who enjoys upgrades of anything, but at the same time, I like to try the newest (usually). What features are new in Ubuntu 10.04 that would compel me (or anyone else reading this post) to upgrade? Or would it just be easier to stay with Ubuntu 9.10 (which I have). I didn't have a lot of time to research the changes made to the new version due out at the end of this month, so I was wondering if there is a compelling reason to upgrade. I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, and both have Ubuntu 9.10 (the laptop has Windows 7 as well.) I do the usual: email, word processing/powerpoints, light web surfing and music occasionally. I don't like upgrades, and it seemed like upgrading from 8.04 to 9.04 to 9.10 was like way back when in the 90s when I upgraded from Windows 95 to 98 and then to Me, having no major fundamental difference between the earlier and later versions, so if this is a minor release with no significant changes, then I might pass, at least for now. I haven't a lot of time:)

What are the major new features in 10.04 that might be reason enough for one to upgrade?

snowpine
April 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Two main differences:

1. All applications will be roughly 6 months newer.
2. 10.04 will be supported through April 2013, while support for 9.10 ends April 2011.

Ubuntu is a fast-moving operating system, and you will eventually get left behind if you don't keep up with upgrades. That being said, there is no hurry to upgrade in your case, and in fact, I would recommend waiting. 10.04 is still in beta testing. :)

stlsaint
April 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM
If you are a light user than you probably won't notice tremendous changes but it is recommendto upgrade since this is a lts.

uRock
April 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Chromium is now in the Ubuntu repos.:P

Firefox 3.6.*:cool:

Plymouth:cool:

Shorter travel distance from the windows close button to the menu to open the next app with the new themes.:)

Better wireless support for many machines.(No longer need backports modules for my Netbook.):KS

Thunderbird 3:cool:

Buy music from Ubuntu One via Rhythmbox:guitar:

and much much more.=D>

Cheers,
Ronnie

howefield
April 12th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Or would it just be easier to stay with Ubuntu 9.10.

You have a full year before you have to make a decision, when Karmic goes end of life, assuming you are on the desktop edition. So yes, the easier option is to do nothing. Especially if what you have does what you need it to do. :)

What are the major new features in 10.04 that might be reason enough for one to upgrade?

One (wo)mans meat is another (wo)mans poison., so what features you would deem as major I guess is subjective.

But the 30 seconds it will take to scan this will probably give you an idea.

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta2#New%20features%20since%20Ubuntu%209.10

wbar2
April 12th, 2010, 10:31 PM
There seems to be more hardware compatibility. I got my Lexmark x5650 working pretty quickly. I also love Simple Scan (9.10 has XSane). But, if you have no hardware issues now, its not really an issue for you I guess.

ram2500
April 13th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Everything just works for me right now, even the wireless. I dread upgrades, because it's such a headache. I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 because I was really interested in what Microsoft had to offer and let's just say I'm impressed and it was somewhat worth the upgrade, though it was not very different from Vista other than it being a little faster and more dependable. However,it seems like that every time I upgrade Ubuntu, it's like upgrading from Windows 95 to 98 to Me (they're essentially all the same) and yields no benefit other than some updates I might not use. Now, from what I told recently by a colleague, I guess the upgrade can also be done by clicking Upgrade on the update page. How does this work and how difficult, in terms of taking up time, is this? I am strapped for time:) and my last upgrade spanned two days' worth of time.

So how would the one-click upgrade work?