PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need to install windows from DVD with linux booting

Mark271
April 12th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hello

I have a problem where I want to install windows on a system with ubuntu already installed. I rezised the partition so that I have space to install windows. The problem I have is my bios.

If I set the bios to load the cd first then HD then the drives will not show in the windows install. What I need to do is have the bios to HD first CD second but not boot into ubuntu. Is this possible?

Thanks Mark.

Mark271
April 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Ok could not get it working so remove the partition but now I still have the grub loader and now boots to grub rescue. How can I remove this so it goes to boot from cd without have boot cd first in the bios.

ronnielsen1
April 12th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I assume that you created a fat32/ntfs partition from ubuntu. My experience with this method is that windows doesn't recognize the partition and it's better to have unpartitioned space and let windows do it's own formatting.

If I set the bios to load the cd first then HD then the drives will not show in the windows install. What I need to do is have the bios to HD first CD second but not boot into ubuntu. Is this possible?

If you set the bios to cd first AND have a windows cd/dvd in your drive it should load the windows disk

Mark271
April 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM
No I did not format the disk in ubuntu.

I had this problem when I first installed windows 7 it would not detect the drive if the bios was cd first I had to set HD first then CD and then the windows install would detect the drive.

I am now using a until to do a low level format this will hopefully fix the problem.

Mark Phelps
April 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Text removed -- posted too late.

ronnielsen1
April 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Sure you have your cable right and jumpers. Does bios recognize the drive as master?

Mark271
April 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Yes it is setup correctly as I had linux installed on the drive and I have had windows installed on the drive before. The low level format tool detects the drive and is currently formating the drive but as it is a 1TB drive its taking a while. It is just windows wont detect the drive if the bios is not set to load from HD first.

ronnielsen1
April 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM
any luck?