PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu on hardware raid0

benhol2006
April 12th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Hey everyone
Kinda new to linux I installed to virtual machine liked what i saw and now have been messing around with installing it on my real machine

my setup is
2 1tb hdd on raid 0 setup through controller not through windows
1 250gb hdd all by its self
I have win 7 up and running on the raid 0 with alot of stuff that cant be deleted

1st q is my original thought was to install ubuntu on the single 250gb hdd and have either windows bootloader or grub control the boot screen this has been successfull in the fact that iv been able to access both os' but only throught the bbs popup screen through the bios
niether bootloader if it be grub nor windows recognises one another this would be my preffered method of installation
how would i make this work

2q is if the 1st cannot be done i have shrunk my windows partion to give 100gb to linux (windows 7 is on the raid0 with 2tb of space ) i boot into ubuntu live and start with installation when i get to the partitiononer it does not recognise any partiotions nor os or file systems just asks to create new table did not do anything after that didnt want to erase anything so i went to gparted the pull down list for hdd list
2tb hdd assuming to be my raid
1tb hdd
another 1tb hdd and
the 250gb hdd
the 2tb hdd also says nothing about a file system
how can i install using either of these methods :confused::confused:

thanks for anyhelp that is given
ps if you need any screen shots you might have to explain to me how to get one from linux not quite sure this being my reason for installing linux to get my hands dirty with a new os

benhol2006
April 13th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Ding