PDA

View Full Version : FoxTester: easily install and launch multiple versions of Firefox simultaneously

lovinglinux
April 12th, 2010, 04:27 AM
FoxTester is an extension that allows to Install and launch multiple versions of Firefox while using the default installation and without affecting the default user profile.

http://www.webgapps.org/addons/foxtester

darrenn
April 12th, 2010, 05:35 AM
This will be perfect for the people who want to try out Firefox Lorentz. Like most I hate it when a tab crashes the whole browser. Thanks in advance for creating this.

lovinglinux
April 12th, 2010, 06:05 AM
This will be perfect for the people who want to try out Firefox Lorentz. Like most I hate it when a tab crashes the whole browser. Thanks in advance for creating this.

Thanks. I had the idea of creating this when testing Lorentz. :)

Toost Inc.
April 12th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Very awesome. Thanks

Edit: I thought I found this bug where FoxTester didnīt work when the Danbooru Downloader addon was installed as well but aparently that was a fluke since Iīve got now both enabled and canīt reproduce it.

FoxTester does hoewer list every file and install twice for me, but thatīs hardly minor.

Screenshot:
http://i41.tinypic.com/jfg7t4.jpg

Also maybe itīs an idea to add an option to copy your current profile/compatible extensions or like you said make the install more permanent.

lovinglinux
April 15th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Very awesome. Thanks.

You are welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Edit: I thought I found this bug where FoxTester didnīt work when the Danbooru Downloader addon was installed as well but aparently that was a fluke since Iīve got now both enabled and canīt reproduce it.

The problem with Danbooru Downloader could be a compatibility issue, because a couple of functions weren't wrapped in the extension functions and were using common names, so they could conflict with other extensions using similar function names. This has been fixed in the version 1.0.1, which I have uploaded today.

Please let me know if it happens again.

FoxTester does hoewer list every file and install twice for me, but thatīs hardly minor.

Please tell me if you get duplicated records when after restarting Firefox, when you first access the context menu?

I'm asking this because the extension scans for new files and update the database every time you access the menu and rebuild the menu options with all records from the database. So, instead of adding new records to the menu, it actually recreates all menu options on-the-fly. Nevertheless, I was experiencing a similar problem on another extension of mine. I'm still not sure if this is a Firefox bug or if there is something not working on the extension as it should be.

Also maybe itīs an idea to add an option to copy your current profile/compatible extensions or like you said make the install more permanent.

Both options were initially on the design plan, but the extension started to get bloated and complicated, so I decided to release a simpler version and improve from there, based on the users feedback. So there is a big chance that both features will be implemented in future versions. Thanks for the suggestion.

lovinglinux
May 14th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Warning: FoxTester 1.0.1 is suffering from memory leak when you open several new windows instead of tabs. I know where the problem is, but I don't know yet how to fix it without disabling some functionality. Therefore, I'm putting this extension on inactive status, until I can provide a fully functional version. I recommend disabling this extension until then.

lovinglinux
May 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM
FoxTester 1.0.2 has been released!

This new version brings some important bug fixes and new features. There is no more issues with leaking memory, the file integrity check incompatibilities has been fixed and now you can set any version installed through FoxTester to be your default browser, so you can use it with your Firefox user profile.

See the video demo (http://foxtester-extension.blogspot.com/2010/05/foxtester-102-released.html).

lovinglinux
May 31st, 2010, 10:41 PM
FoxTester has been approved by Mozilla, so now it is available through the Stable Channel and future updates will be available through Firefox add-on manager.

primetime34
July 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I set the new firefox 4 beta as default...now I can't use foxtester to revert back to the stable release. Any help on how to do that? Thanks.

lovinglinux
July 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I set the new firefox 4 beta as default...now I can't use foxtester to revert back to the stable release. Any help on how to do that? Thanks.

sudo rm -r /opt/firefox
sudo rm /usr/bin/firefox
sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/bin/firefox

This will delete Firefox 4 and revert to the default version.

The Real Dave
July 7th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'm loving Foxtester :) I must just update from 3.7A5 :D Thanks for spreading this mate :)

lovinglinux
July 7th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I'm loving Foxtester :) I must just update from 3.7A5 :D Thanks for spreading this mate :)

You are welcome. I will make it compatible with 4.0b soon. The next version will not use the firefox divertion when you set it as default, which will make easier to revert.

Shining Arcanine
July 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
How does this interact with your system's package manager? Will it pollute your root directory?

lovinglinux
July 8th, 2010, 03:11 AM
How does this interact with your system's package manager? Will it pollute your root directory?

No and no. It install all versions under Firefox profile folder, in a folder named "foxtester", except when you set a version as default, when it copies the install folder to /opt/firefox.

If you already have a firefox folder under /opt, then it will detect it and only allow to set another version as default after removing the one in the opt folder.

xtnsgo
July 11th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Such a good extension!!! Testing FF 4.0 with it now, thanks:)

lovinglinux
July 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Such a good extension!!! Testing FF 4.0 with it now, thanks:)

You are welcome. :)

Gavin77
July 19th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'm trying this out on FF 3.6.6 & Kubuntu Lucid. Am I missing any dependencies as it doesn't work. It creates empty folders in the Foxtester subfolder of my FF profile and the created profile only contains prefs.js with 0 bytes size.

I've tested it with:
firefox-3.6.7.tar.bz2
firefox-4.0b1.tar.bz2
firefox-4.0b2pre.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2

lovinglinux
July 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I'm trying this out on FF 3.6.6 & Kubuntu Lucid. Am I missing any dependencies as it doesn't work. It creates empty folders in the Foxtester subfolder of my FF profile and the created profile only contains prefs.js with 0 bytes size.

I've tested it with:
firefox-3.6.7.tar.bz2
firefox-4.0b1.tar.bz2
firefox-4.0b2pre.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2

The profile files should be created when you start the installed testing version. What happens when you choose the "Launch" option from the menu?

Gavin77
July 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM
When I select Launch, nothing at all happens.
In my profile these are the only folders/files created after choosing to install firefox 4b1 for example:

~/.mozilla/firefox/gox9hspw.default/foxtester/install/
~/.mozilla/firefox/gox9hspw.default/foxtester/install/firefox-4-0b1/
~/.mozilla/firefox/gox9hspw.default/foxtester/profiles/
~/.mozilla/firefox/gox9hspw.default/foxtester/profiles/firefox-4-0b1-foxtester/prefs.js

Gavin77
July 19th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I just tried manually extracting the firefox archive into the /foxtester/install/firefox-4-0b1 directory and then launching it and it worked so there's a problem with the initial extraction phase.

lovinglinux
July 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I just tried manually extracting the firefox archive into the /foxtester/install/firefox-4-0b1 directory and then launching it and it worked so there's a problem with the initial extraction phase.

That's what I was suspecting. See if you can extract it with tar -xvjf. That is what the extension uses.

Gavin77
July 19th, 2010, 07:15 PM
That's what I was suspecting. See if you can extract it with tar -xvjf. That is what the extension uses.

The archive extracts fine manually using tar -xvjf

Gavin77
July 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM
You'll be glad to know that I've figured out what the problem was. I had a space in the folder name of my source directory. I changed Firefox Builds to Firefox_Builds and it works now :)

lovinglinux
July 19th, 2010, 07:45 PM
You'll be glad to know that I've figured out what the problem was. I had a space in the folder name of my source directory. I changed Firefox Builds to Firefox_Builds and it works now :)

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I need to update the extension to work with Firefox 4 and to make some improvements, so I will look into this issue too.

lovinglinux
July 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I have created a bug report at http://code.google.com/p/foxtester/issues/detail?id=2 so it can be tracked.

jminker
July 19th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I just found your extension today while searching for a way to test Firefox 4 without interfering with my default install. I checked out the demo and decided to install it, and within minutes I had a fully functioning Firefox 4 install running side-by-side with my current 3.6.6 install. What an excellent idea for an extension! Thanks for coming up with it.

Jim

lovinglinux
July 19th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I just found your extension today while searching for a way to test Firefox 4 without interfering with my default install. I checked out the demo and decided to install it, and within minutes I had a fully functioning Firefox 4 install running side-by-side with my current 3.6.6 install. What an excellent idea for an extension! Thanks for coming up with it.

Jim

I'm glad to read that. Thanks a lot. It needs improvements, but it works quite well for me. I have created it because I need to test my extensions with different versions of Firefox. Additionally, in order to support Firefox users I usually need to test several versions. So it is quite handy :)

lovinglinux
July 20th, 2010, 12:36 AM
FoxTester 1.0.3 (http://foxtester-extension.blogspot.com) has been released today and is available for download through the extension site. It will be available at Mozilla site as soon it gets reviewed by Mozilla editors.

This new version just adds compatibility with Firefox 4.0b2pre.

lovinglinux
July 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM
FoxTester 1.0.4 has been released today and is available for download through the Stable Channel. It will be available at Mozilla site as soon it gets reviewed by Mozilla editors.

This new version just adds compatibility with Firefox 4.0b3pre.

lovinglinux
July 26th, 2010, 07:26 AM
FoxTester 1.0.5 has been released today and is available for download through the Stable Channel. It will be available at Mozilla site as soon it gets reviewed by Mozilla editors.

This new version fixes an issue with upper case hashes and spaces

japzone
September 8th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Firefox 4.0b5 is here!!:popcorn:

Time to see what's better.

One thing I wish is that Greasemonkey and Session Manager would update for comparability with Firefox 4.0. They are my Two most used Extensions and I miss them when using 4.0.

lovinglinux
September 9th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Firefox 4.0b5 is here!!:popcorn:

Time to see what's better.

One thing I wish is that Greasemonkey and Session Manager would update for comparability with Firefox 4.0. They are my Two most used Extensions and I miss them when using 4.0.

Indeed. I'm using 4.0b5 for a couple of days, since the first build candidate was available. Is looking really good so far, although there are still 19 extensions disable on my profile and 52 enabled. Most of the enabled ones are not compatible, but still work with compatibility check disabled.

japzone
September 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM
New Add-On for Firefox 4.0 from Mozilla. It's called Add-On Compatibility Reporter (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/). It's for Reporting whether certain Add-Ons Still Work or Don't Work in Firefox 4.0 and if they Work a Little what Features Don't Work Properly. When you install it it Disables the Compatibility Block Automatically without having to add a String to Firefox's Config Screen. It's the very tool I've been wishing I had when Beta testing. Give it a try.

Add-On Compatibility Reporter:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/

lovinglinux
September 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM
New Add-On for Firefox 4.0 from Mozilla. It's called Add-On Compatibility Reporter (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/). It's for Reporting whether certain Add-Ons Still Work or Don't Work in Firefox 4.0 and if they Work a Little what Features Don't Work Properly. When you install it it Disables the Compatibility Block Automatically without having to add a String to Firefox's Config Screen. It's the very tool I've been wishing I had when Beta testing. Give it a try.

Add-On Compatibility Reporter:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/

Is not new, but that is what I recommend on my tutorials. I'm currently using it with FF 4. Nevertheless, due to Firefox extreme changes, several extensions don't work, even with this add-on.

japzone
September 11th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Is not new, but that is what I recommend on my tutorials. I'm currently using it with FF 4. Nevertheless, due to Firefox extreme changes, several extensions don't work, even with this add-on.

Thankfully it turns out Session Manager does work with 4.0 so that makes me happy. You never know If you screw something up and FF crashes, and I prefer Session Manager's Restoration Options to FF built in ones.

simonchimera
September 13th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I've just tried installing the latest stable FoxTester along with firefox-4.0b5.tar.bz2 for my x64 Ubuntu machine and when I enable the beta Firefox the majority of the icons on the tool bar are missing and have a red cross instead. Does anyone know if I have missed something here or is this a bug?

lovinglinux
September 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I've just tried installing the latest stable FoxTester along with firefox-4.0b5.tar.bz2 for my x64 Ubuntu machine and when I enable the beta Firefox the majority of the icons on the tool bar are missing and have a red cross instead. Does anyone know if I have missed something here or is this a bug?

Did you get the 64 bit version of Firefox?

simonchimera
September 13th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Did you get the 64 bit version of Firefox?

In the Mozilla FTP I downloaded from the linux-x86_64 then en-US. I think this is the right version but I'm not 100%

edit: just downloaded and tried the linux-i686 version as well to check but this has the same outcome - no icons.

simonchimera
September 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Just reinstalled the x86_64 tar.bz2 file three times and on the third attempt I now have icons! Must have been a bad download or something?

lovinglinux
September 13th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Just reinstalled the x86_64 tar.bz2 file three times and on the third attempt I now have icons! Must have been a bad download or something?

The extension also has a hash checker, so you can check the download integrity before installing. To do that, highlight the hash number on Mozilla's FTP site, then select "Check File" option from the extension menu and select the file to be checked.

lovinglinux
September 17th, 2010, 12:29 AM
FoxTester 1.0.6 has been released today and is available for download through the Stable Channel. It will be available at Mozilla site as soon it gets reviewed by Mozilla editors.

This new version fixes an issue with watched folder names containing spaces.

Budchekov
November 17th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Hi lovinglinux, many thanks for a wonderful addon, I came across it at Mozillazine, sure makes things easy.
Is there any way to launch 4.0 versions other than firing up 3.6 and right clicking, create a launcher/desktop shortcut?
Bud.

lovinglinux
November 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Hi lovinglinux, many thanks for a wonderful addon, I came across it at Mozillazine, sure makes things easy.
Is there any way to launch 4.0 versions other than firing up 3.6 and right clicking, create a launcher/desktop shortcut?
Bud.

You are welcome.

Unfortunately, this feature is not available right now, but I will consider it for a future version.

lovinglinux
December 8th, 2010, 06:33 AM
FoxTester 1.0.9 has been released today and is available for download (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/141505/versions/). It will be available through Firefox extension manager as soon it gets reviewed by Mozilla editors.

This version fixed missing plugin folders and updates the skin due to Firefox 4 changes.

lovinglinux
March 21st, 2011, 08:39 AM
Edited

lovinglinux
March 26th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I received some compelling requests to bring FoxTester back. So here it is.

Version 1.1.0 is available for download. This version brings some improvements and bug fixes.

Changelog:

moved menu to the toolbar icon
fixed menu issues
removed hash check functionality
added latest-mozilla-central download feature

IMPORTANT: It is recommended to uninstall all versions of Firefox installed by previous FoxTester versions, prior to upgrading the extension.

lovinglinux
April 13th, 2011, 07:32 PM
FoxTester 1.1.2 has been released today and is available for download.

This version adds support for new Mozilla development scheme and repositories.

It is recommended to use the new "Reset" function to clean up all installations before using this new version.

Changelog:

added support for new Mozilla development scheme and repositories
added option to reset all installations and database
added links to releases, beta, aurora and nightly ftp repositories

lovinglinux
April 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM
FoxTester 1.1.3 has been released today and is available for download.

This version fixed a reported bug, that affects non-English files from aurora and mozilla-central, causing the version numbers to be displayed improperly in the menus.

Changelog:

improved menu file names regex
changed uninstall icon

lovinglinux
May 1st, 2011, 12:04 AM
FoxTester 1.1.4 has been released today and is available for download.

This version introduces support for testing Fennec (Firefox for mobile), Seamonkey and Thunderbird, among other improvements.

Changelog:

added support for testing Fennec, Seamonkey and Thunderbird
added link redirection according to browser language
added dynamic icons to sub menus, according to application and version
switched from ftp to http links
fixed oncommand security issues
improved preferences dialog

lovinglinux
July 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Released version 1.1.7

Changelog

fixed first run download menus errors
added compatibility with Firefox 8.0a1
added mouse pointer effects to images

AlexanderDGreat
August 15th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Thank you, lovinglinux, because of you Firefox gets a little better everyday! How do you use it? :)

lovinglinux
August 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Thank you, lovinglinux, because of you Firefox gets a little better everyday! How do you use it? :)

You are welcome.

You can find instructions on how to use it at http://www.webgapps.org/add-ons/foxtester/documentation

AlexanderDGreat
August 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Found it! I'm amazed at your work! Keep it up. Thanks! :)

el_koraco
August 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'm interrested in how the new add-on model will work when Aurora goes to 8. A stable nr 6 has appeared on the FTP server, so it ain't gonna be long now.

lovinglinux
August 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Found it! I'm amazed at your work! Keep it up. Thanks! :)

Thanks.

I'm interrested in how the new add-on model will work when Aurora goes to 8.

What do you mean?

A stable nr 6 has appeared on the FTP server, so it ain't gonna be long now.

It is scheduled for tomorrow.

el_koraco
August 15th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks.
What do you mean?

This (http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Firefox-6-available-version-8-to-offer-add-on-control-Update-1322874.html). Admittedly, not a problem in our case, but let's see how this works on the Windows side. It's gonna be a PITA for you with upgrades and your gazillion add-ons :D

lovinglinux
August 15th, 2011, 05:44 PM
This (http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Firefox-6-available-version-8-to-offer-add-on-control-Update-1322874.html). Admittedly, not a problem in our case, but let's see how this works on the Windows side. It's gonna be a PITA for you with upgrades and your gazillion add-ons :D

That only affects add-ons installed by third-party applications. I don't have any of those. However, this will also affect add-ons installed globally, like Ubuntu Firefox Modifications (ubufox) and Global Menu Bar Integration (firefox-globalmenu), shipped with Ubuntu. So we may receive a warning for those add-ons, unless the Ubuntu MozillaTeam do something about it.