PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back Expired Domain Names

trentscott
April 12th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I had a domain name that expired on 3/6 (a little over a month ago) that I didn't have a chance to renew. It's registered through GoDaddy, where I've been a longtime customer and have numerous products/services attached to my account.

They told me that, although the window to renew it has passed, it can still be recovered because they ICANN hasn't relinquished ownership. Unfortunately, they want $80 to do so and said it's a penalty fee that "goes straight to ICANN". Does anyone know if this is true? And, if so, has anyone been able to successfully negotiate this with them in the interest of preserving good customer relationships?

Phrea
April 12th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I had a domain name that expired on 3/6 (a little over a month ago) that I didn't have a chance to renew. It's registered through GoDaddy, where I've been a longtime customer and have numerous products/services attached to my account.

They told me that, although the window to renew it has passed, it can still be recovered because they ICANN hasn't relinquished ownership. Unfortunately, they want $80 to do so and said it's a penalty fee that "goes straight to ICANN". Does anyone know if this is true? And, if so, has anyone been able to successfully negotiate this with them in the interest of preserving good customer relationships?

Welcome to registrars...

Doctor Mike
April 12th, 2010, 12:22 AM

You can register with anybody, don't get sucked in.

Lightstar
April 12th, 2010, 01:09 AM
GoDaddy charges for EVERYTHING.
Their registration service is very good, but every other option, either for domain or for hosting is pretty expensive.
I wouldn't be surprised if the money went to GoDaddy.

trentscott
April 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
You can register with anybody, don't get sucked in.

Is it worth backordering so I can get ahold of it as soon as it drops off?

whiskeylover
April 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Is it worth backordering so I can get ahold of it as soon as it drops off?

No! As soon as it gets dropped off, cyber squatters will grab it in no time.

trentscott
April 12th, 2010, 06:53 PM
No! As soon as it gets dropped off, cyber squatters will grab it in no time.

So am I S.O.L.?

whiskeylover
April 12th, 2010, 06:56 PM
So am I S.O.L.?

Yes you are.

Pay godaddy $80, and the renewal fees for a year. And as soon as you get back your domain, transfer it to another registrar (I can suggest a good one that some of us use here.) Your existing time on the registration can be carried forward to the new registrar.

ashwinrao
April 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I believe till 1-45 days after expiration of the domain name you can renew the domain name with the same registration service provider by paying normal renewal charges. You can refer this link (http://ww.deletecycle.com/)to learn more about domain deletion procedure. Yes, after 45 days, registration service provider charges $160 or more to retrieve the domain name from the deletion queue. I believe TuCows is the most preffered and genuine domain name registrar.

trentscott
April 12th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I believe till 1-45 days after expiration of the domain name you can renew the domain name with the same registration service provider by paying normal renewal charges. You can refer this link (http://ww.deletecycle.com/)to learn more about domain deletion procedure. Yes, after 45 days, registration service provider charges $160 or more to retrieve the domain name from the deletion queue. I believe TuCows is the most preffered and genuine domain name registrar.

Hmm wow!! This may not be worth the hassle or expense. I might just suck my thumb...

Dayofswords
April 12th, 2010, 07:04 PM
cant you wait til it is fully deleted and then register it again?
as long as it wasnt hugely popular or you dont announce, i don't see the problem

EDITED:i am never able to throw in a wasnt at the right time

ashwinrao
April 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=Dayofswords;9112503]cant you wait til it is fully deleted and then register it again?
as long as it wasnt hugely popular or you dont announce, i don't see the problem

Yes! I fully agree with you. As long as the domain name is not popular one and doesn't get much hits, the registrars won't re register them or anyone registers it again. However, keeping watch over the availability of the domain name is better idea once it gets deleted from the registry after 'Pending Delete' stage. This link (https://www.snapnames.com/domains101.jsp) might be useful for you!

trentscott
April 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Is there a way to monitor this (e.g. get sent an email) when it gets deleted?

whiskeylover
April 12th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Is there a way to monitor this (e.g. get sent an email) when it gets deleted?

A lot of domain monitoring websites will let you do that. But, as soon as you set up a monitoring, they'll register it when it gets dropped, and ask you to pay a huge amount of money to "unlock" it for you.

If you've entered the domain name in the search boxes of some not-so-honest registrars, chances are your domain is already being monitored (Network Solutions for example) and they will grab it the moment it becomes available.

IMO, you're better off paying godaddy their ransom fees, and then moving it to a better registrar.