PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Small Business Help

whiskey.will
April 11th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Ok, here's the skinny... We're getting ready to start a small business and I am going to start tinkering with Ubuntu Server Ed & whatever website development software is good to use for beginners? That's where this great community comes in, what specs should I look for in a desk/laptop to be a dedicated server, which Ubuntu Server should I begin with (I think 8.04 is the only one with support so I'm thinking it would suffice) and last but not least what's the best software to use for building a website?

Vegan
April 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I use the new versions as I use s standard LAMP stack. I have had no problems at all.

There is a long leaning curve, so you best get some books on Linux generally before getting to far along.

fang0654
April 12th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Are you looking for something to use as a workstation and a server? If that is the case, then you would probably be best to go with Ubuntu Desktop and install a LAMP server on it (easy enough to do).

If the machine is only going to act as a server, you should look at getting server-quality hardware. You can get a low end tower server from Dell for a little over $300. You can throw a couple of big drives in it from NewEgg, and you can have a server with decent drive space, for under $500.

If you are just learning, I'd go with Ubuntu Server 9.10, and once 10.04 is released later this month, upgrade to it.