PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] HP Mini 210

pauljwells
April 11th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Well, I'm just stunned!

I was delighted with this little toy even with the Windows 7 starter (which I have to say isn't at all bad after the horrors of Vista)...

...and then I installed 10.04 using wubi...

Firstly, wubi selected the 64bit install, so my little toy is now running the most advanced OS in my household of linux, windows and mac boxes,

Secondly, the BC43 (FWcutter) wifi driver worked (NOT the sta driver as was the case for 9.10, apparently).

Thirdly, the psmouse fix got my right-click working.

Fourthly, the netbook edition got the webcam working, via cheese, (and I can switch between standard gnome or une at login.)

Everything else works out of the box: bluetooth, sound, mic...

And then I accidentally clicked 'suspend' on the shutdown menu AND SUSPEND WORKS UNDER WUBI!!! How the blue blazes did you get that to happen?

So I can keep the W7, the recovery partition, the 'instant on' linux and Ubuntu/UNE and lose nothing. I have so much cake

Thank you, Ubuntu devs. This is just amazing, and the new theme is beautiful too.

<Edit>
I just plugged in my E220 'Vodem' and it just worked. The goodness just keeps coming!
</Edit>

trentscott
April 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Well, I'm just stunned!

I was delighted with this little toy even with the Windows 7 starter (which I have to say isn't at all bad after the horrors of Vista)...

...and then I installed 10.04 using wubi...

Firstly, wubi selected the 64bit install, so my little toy is now running the most advanced OS in my household of linux, windows and mac boxes,

Secondly, the BC43 (FWcutter) wifi driver worked (NOT the sta driver as was the case for 9.10, apparently).

Thirdly, the psmouse fix got my right-click working.

Fourthly, the netbook edition got the webcam working, via cheese, (and I can switch between standard gnome or une at login.)

Everything else works out of the box: bluetooth, sound, mic...

And then I accidentally clicked 'suspend' on the shutdown menu AND SUSPEND WORKS UNDER WUBI!!! How the blue blazes did you get that to happen?

So I can keep the W7, the recovery partition, the 'instant on' linux and Ubuntu/UNE and lose nothing. I have so much cake

Thank you, Ubuntu devs. This is just amazing, and the new theme is beautiful too.

<Edit>
I just plugged in my E220 'Vodem' and it just worked. The goodness just keeps coming!
</Edit>

That's great! I might be buying one of these shortly, what model number is yours?

pauljwells
April 13th, 2010, 07:28 PM
It's the Mini 210-1020 £249 from Tesco with double clubcard points!
I'm still absolutely delighted with the little marvel, my superspec 15 inch macbook pro is getting very jealous...

KdotJ
April 18th, 2010, 09:20 PM
It's the Mini 210-1020 £249 from Tesco with double clubcard points!
I'm still absolutely delighted with the little marvel, my superspec 15 inch macbook pro is getting very jealous...

I just bagged myself one of these today,very nice. Price is great although I think I'm going to try get hold of a 6-cell battery for the extra life

pauljwells
April 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Yep, the battery pack would be a good upgrade. I fitted a 2GB RAM chip which helps the Ubuntu a bit and the Win7 a lot...
It was fun to open the case - it just kind of snaps open like a sandwich box!

AlanR8
April 19th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I bought the Compaq Mini a month ago, and my son was so impressed, he went out and bought the HP Mini with W7.

Mine came with XP, saved money, AND the 6 cell battery. I get about 6 hours from the battery! I work away from home and now just take the Mini rather than the Sony Laptop. I leave the charger in the hotel bedroom, don't need it during the day!

All in all a GREAT purchase!

pauljwells
April 20th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I burnt the W7 restore DVDs and then erased the recovery partition and resized C: using the W7 partition tool. I installed Lucid directly on the HD and, once I'd checked it worked I uninstalled wubi.

Everything is still working fine, I jut discovered that my iPhone 'hands-free' headphones/microphone works in the jack.

:-)

KdotJ
April 20th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I too deleted the recovery partition and resized the C drive down to 50GB lol. I'm using 9.10 for now, I think I'll wait till 10.04 is fully released.

Battry life is not too great but as I said I'm looking for a 6-cell spare

ps. pauljwells, check your PM's

KdotJ
April 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Ok my PM's won't seem to send, keeps saying I have 0 sent messages.

Anyways, pauljwells, how did you get the mousepad to work?
It won't allow me to right click at all..

rpmatt
November 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM
so! @pauljwells, would you definitely recommend me buying this netbook for ubuntu? I mean cos, I need a netbook for sixth form work, and have been borrowing an NC20 for a while, which unfortunately doesnt like ubuntu (Via Nano GPU.....). After my parents offered to buy me one for chrimbo, I saw this amazing deal on Tesco for this netbook and I thought "I hope this runs ubuntu 10.04!". Have you run into any problems? ie does compiz run well with all effects and does the webcam work with cheese?

Sorry for all the Qs, but I am rather excited!

Thanks in advance,
Rpmatt

pauljwells
December 13th, 2010, 11:35 PM
@rpmatt Sorry for the late reply!
I'm now running 10.10 both UNR and Gnome and both work fine. Compiz works well on Gnome.

If you connect an external monitor Gnome defaults to non-Compiz and UNR crashes, but on the built-in screen everything is fine.

The touchpad needs a small hack to get right-click working - which you can find on the forms or I can send you if you need it, but then it works with a two-finger tap like a mac so it's actually better (for me anyway) than the bottom-right-corner click it needs in W7. With a USB mouse it works fine.

I love it and would def recommend it

pauljwells
March 22nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Any other HP Mini owners got the hairline cracks in the bottom corners of the screen surround?