PDA

View Full Version : Computer For College?

[Shadow]
April 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I am an incoming computer science major and I am looking for a good computer for college.

I have been looking at the Asus G73Jh-A2 and was wondering if this would be a viable college laptop

Phrea
April 11th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I always advice people to get a fairly big but cheap and trustworthy netbook, to take notes during class and for carrying around in general, and a fairly high spec laptop/desktop at home/dorm, so they complement each other.

This is general advice, and might not apply to you. :)

EDIT: the on you posted is an absolute beast !
You might want to forget what I said before the edit. ;)

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I have an Asus k50ij, and it works out of the box with Linux 2.6.32 with every piece of hardware (Including wireless). It includes:

64-bit Capable Dual Core Processor
3 GB Of RAM
300gb Hard Drive
CD/DVD Burner
SD Card Reader
4 USB Ports
Integrated Intel Graphics

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-k50ij-rx05/4505-3121_7-33695860.html

Phrea
April 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I have an Asus k50ij, and it works out of the box with Linux 2.6.32 with every piece of hardware (Including wireless). It includes:

64-bit Capable Dual Core Processor
3 GB Of RAM
300gb Hard Drive
CD/DVD Burner
SD Card Reader
4 USB Ports
Integrated Intel Graphics

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-k50ij-rx05/4505-3121_7-33695860.html

Have you seen that beast of a laptop he posted? :O :D

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Oh I see, something needlessly powerful. :D My laptop is not good for gaming so do not bother with it then. Perhaps try something from here if you want. I plan on buying one of these when I get the cash.
http://www.system76.com/index.php?cPath=28

NCLI
April 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
That Asus looks awesome :shock:

Get one for me too!!!

Phrea
April 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
That Asus looks awesome :shock:

Get one for me too!!!

Get in line behind me. :P

Joeb454
April 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
If you wanted to get that laptop - I can't see it being a problem for college/uni, as long as you don't mind carrying it around everywhere. I don't think I've ever come across a 17" laptop that's light enough to carry around all day

Phrea
April 11th, 2010, 09:24 PM
If you wanted to get that laptop - I can't see it being a problem for college/uni, as long as you don't mind carrying it around everywhere. I don't think I've ever come across a 17" laptop that's light enough to carry around all day

Indeed, hence my first post.
It's the ideal combo imho. :)

Lugging around a 17" laptop all day [like you said] might be a bit much. :D

earthpigg
April 11th, 2010, 09:26 PM
@the beastly laptop:

i'd never carry something that expensive with me everywhere i go, and i also wouldn't want to leave it in my dorm room.

im a fan of the netbook+desktop combo. what i am doing, as a current college student.

Warpnow
April 11th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Big laptops are great until you have back to back 3 hour classes where you don't get to sit by an electrical outlet, and it has become a gigantic paper weight.

Phrea
April 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Conclusion, be smart, get a netbook for classes and mobility, and get a decent laptop/desktop for at home [where ever that is].

Yw.

Kingsley
April 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Build a nice desktop and buy a cheap netbook.

Warpnow
April 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Build a nice desktop and buy a cheap netbook.

+1

You can build a triple core machine and buy a netbook for under $500 pretty easily.

Though, to be honest, I feel that having a laptop in class generally has hurt my grade not helped it, and notice people without laptops do better gradewise. A laptop offers a distraction more than it does an aid.

[Shadow]
April 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Well... i looked into the whole netbook / desktop / noteobook thing and the only downside to that is that in this program we are required to have a laptop that boasts at least pretty decent specs and a netbook just wouldnt cut it.. right now they reccommend a Dell Precision M4400 and i was like heck I can get a beast of a laptop for about the same price but with better specs except for battery life. (1550 beast vs 1590 recommended).

Oh and the beast comes with a pretty decent looking backpack that i would probably carry it around in all the time if weight was an issue.

Oh and its 16.33"x12.59"x1.8" and Weighs 8.5 Pounds

(http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=18939)

Phrea
April 11th, 2010, 09:52 PM
+1

Sir, I deserve that +1 ! ;)

Directive 4
April 11th, 2010, 09:52 PM
i say go for the laptop,

dorm will have wifi,

why carry any computer around, whats wrong with paper and pen for notes.

if your doing computer work the uni will supply you a computer.

i just use a dell inspiron, it's great.

it's even got blue lights like kit from night rider has, only his were red...

Phrea
April 11th, 2010, 09:54 PM
;9108491']Well... i looked into the whole netbook / desktop / noteobook thing and the only downside to that is that in this program we are required to have a laptop that boasts at least pretty decent specs and a netbook just wouldnt cut it.. right now they reccommend a Dell Precision M4400 and i was like heck I can get a beast of a laptop for about the same price but with better specs except for battery life. (1550 beast vs 1590 recommended).

Oh and the beast comes with a pretty decent looking backpack that i would probably carry it around in all the time if weight was an issue.

Oh and its 16.33"x12.59"x1.8" and Weighs 8.5 Pounds

(http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=18939)

How did they recommend this?
Do you need this in class itself or do you need that power at dorm/home to crunch the numbers/programs?

earthpigg
April 11th, 2010, 10:15 PM
;9108491']Well... i looked into the whole netbook / desktop / noteobook thing and the only downside to that is that in this program we are required to have a laptop that boasts at least pretty decent specs and a netbook just wouldnt cut it.. right now they reccommend a Dell Precision M4400 and i was like heck I can get a beast of a laptop for about the same price but with better specs except for battery life. (1550 beast vs 1590 recommended).

is it command line software? will the classroom have wifi?

ssh!

themarker0
April 11th, 2010, 10:18 PM
If you don't need much power i'd suggest an Acer Aspire Timeline. If you do need power, try the Acer TravelMate Timelines.

Bachstelze
April 12th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I use my MacBook Pro for this, love it.

Simian Man
April 12th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I personally feel that the "you must have a laptop to be a college student" thing is way overrated and probably was a scheme devised by computer companies anyway. There are computers *everywhere* on campuses. Computers in labs, computers in classrooms, computers in recreation areas. You really do not need to carry a computer with you everywhere you go.

Get a basic desktop for your room and buy a nice flash drive. And then actually pay attention in class instead of browsing Facebook - or worse UF :).

Phrea
April 12th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I personally feel that the "you must have a laptop to be a college student" thing is way overrated and probably was a scheme devised by computer companies anyway. There are computers *everywhere* on campuses. Computers in labs, computers in classrooms, computers in recreation areas. You really do not need to carry a computer with you everywhere you go.

Get a basic desktop for your room and buy a nice flash drive. And then actually pay attention in class instead of browsing Facebook - or worse UF :).

Flash drives don't have 'record'. ;)

chappajar
April 12th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I always advice people to get a fairly big but cheap and trustworthy netbook, to take notes during class and for carrying around in general, and a fairly high spec laptop/desktop at home/dorm, so they complement each other.

This is general advice, and might not apply to you. :)

EDIT: the on you posted is an absolute beast !
You might want to forget what I said before the edit. ;)

I agree; a netbook to carry around, and a desktop wherever you live (although I have no use for a high spec one).
I have an 11.6'' laptop, and it's really too big to carry around all day, and the battery won't last all day without a recharge.

Groucho Marxist
April 12th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Oh I see, something needlessly powerful. :D My laptop is not good for gaming so do not bother with it then. Perhaps try something from here if you want. I plan on buying one of these when I get the cash.
http://www.system76.com/index.php?cPath=28

I'm typing on one right now; Pangolin Performance is a terrific machine.

witeshark17
April 12th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Would a laptop in a dorm room be safe if it had a sticker on it that says:

Linux only, first boot record committed :guitar: ?

jfreak_
April 12th, 2010, 05:10 AM
What do they teach you in computer major that demands a monster like this? Just curious. I have just graduated, not in computers though, and have found that having a laptop is big distraction(facebook, games etc etc) . My computer friends learnt .NET , java, C, C++ and a few more languages for which they required a simple netbook

RiceMonster
April 12th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Would a laptop in a dorm room be safe if it had a sticker on it that says:

Linux only, first boot record committed :guitar: ?

What do you mean by "safe"? It won't get stolen? If that's what you mean, a sticker won't do anything to stop it from getting stolen.

If you're worried, by a laptop lock and lock it to your desk.

Ioky
April 12th, 2010, 05:50 AM
All my friends who goes into CS who is actually good at it use a MAC.... for some reason.... But after all, it works well. In fact, it is really really good.

I personally goes to Art School, and I use Linux....

I don't know the reason behind this, but it seem work great for us.

(I am serious, am not joking)

V for Vincent
April 12th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Having a gaming rig will do you more harm than good at uni. Go for reliable and cost effective rather than powerful. I'm in CS and I get by just fine with my 4 year old system.

Seriously, I mean it. I've seen tons of kids wasting their time on facebook during class and then failing miserably. I'm pretty disgusted at how they waste their parents' money to take a year off and do nothing but play games. Most of CS is maths or algorithms, anyway.

lukeiamyourfather
April 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
;9108240']I am an incoming computer science major and I am looking for a good computer for college.

I have been looking at the Asus G73Jh-A2 and was wondering if this would be a viable college laptop

For the same money you could get a nice desktop with equivalent specification or better plus a netbook. That way the desktop would be upgradeable and repairable, and the netbook would be much lighter and more convenient for taking notes and mobile use. Big notebooks are terrible. Too big to use everyday and yet its more expensive than a desktop because its smaller, duh? That's just my opinion.

dpcole72
May 9th, 2010, 12:27 AM

I can't speak for all colleges, but at my private (for-profit) college, everybody LOATHES them. Underpowered j u n k , improperly maintained by either overpaid IT staff or underpaid IT staff. It depends on their qualifications, or their interest given the pay they currently receive...

user1397
May 9th, 2010, 02:00 AM
@the beastly laptop:

i'd never carry something that expensive with me everywhere i go, and i also wouldn't want to leave it in my dorm room.

im a fan of the netbook+desktop combo. what i am doing, as a current college student.I too have this setup, and I'd have to say if you have the money, go for it

AwesomeTux
May 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I would go for a Laptop that is comfortable carrying around, not that big, but powerful enough for long documents and stuff. Of course you might want it to have Ubuntu pre-installed, and OpenOffice and stuff like that too.

Something like this perhaps? http://www.inatux.com/#item-3

They installed whatever software and distribution you can think of.

JDShu
May 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Not exactly related, but as a CS student, PuTTy solves all your troubles.

CharlesA
May 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Not exactly related, but as a CS student, PuTTy solves all your troubles.

+1 :)

I got a netbook originally because I couldn't decide which laptop to get. Now I haven't bothered looking for a laptop, as I don't want something costing a load of money being toted back and forth with the possibilities of it either being stolen.

The 500 dollar netbook I have now does everything I need to do, I just wish it had a bigger screen - 10.1" screen is tiny.

That being said, I've had no problems with it, it's smaller then a regular laptop, less weight and longer battery life. Then again I do most of my work on my server at home using SFTP/SCP/SSH.

SSH Tunnels are great. :D