PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Web Browsing Kills Microphone

zampes
April 11th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hi all!
I've been battling with a very common and well known issue of all HP DVx series laptops, that of microphones not working or working only certain times. I *think* I've come one step closer to solving the issue, especially if somebody knowledgeable in the area is willing to give us all a hand!
Here's the thing: My HP DV4 1220us with ATi chipset has a working microphone, however, for some reason it usually dies after a certain time. I've done some testing and come to the weird conclusion that * web browsing * kills the microphone.
Upon starting the machine (I only have kubuntu 9.10 installed) the microphone works, I go to konsole, type 'paman', go to devices, double-click input devices, show volume meter, speak into the microphone and I see there's a reaction. I open skype, go through the test call and hear my voice. I leave the volume meter on my screen above all other windows. All is well. However, upon opening Chrome or Firefox and navigating to mail.google.com (my home page), the microphone DIES and it won't come back on line, it won't work no matter what unless I restart the machine...
Any ideas? All help, hints, ideas, etc are welcome... :):confused:

zampes
April 12th, 2010, 03:19 PM
For anyone struggling trying to make Pulse Audio work (PA), this guide solved the above problem for me:
http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8284273&postcount=4

zampes
May 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM
The previous worked on Karmic, but does not work on Lucid...
Anybody got any ideas?
Bump