PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] It is possible to re-install Ubuntu 9.10 without loosing user data?

CarlosHP2000
April 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hi, community,

I would like to know if its possible to do an Ubuntu 9.10 re-installation without loosing user data and programs installed (such as TWiki , MySQl e.g.). I have been checking the forum but I'm not really very clear if this is possible. The objective is to try to overwrite any damage or modified file from the original core installation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!,

Regards,

Carlos.

Sef
April 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM
If you have your data on a separate partition, then it would be possible to reinstall the os without losing the data. Otherwise, no. As for your programs, I do not know of a way to save them. In any case, back up your data. There are no 100% guarantees that all will go right.

abra1
April 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM
| The objective is to try to overwrite any damage or modified file from the original core installation.

Before doing any re-install , I would suggest a recovery. (When you 'Restart' you get to see several lines - the first one is the regular boot , the second line is the recovery ; highlight that line and hit Enter

Let us know

CarlosHP2000
April 11th, 2010, 08:37 PM
If you have your data on a separate partition, then it would be possible to reinstall the os without losing the data. Otherwise, no. As for your programs, I do not know of a way to save them. In any case, back up your data. There are no 100% guarantees that all will go right.

Thanks for the help, I see I didn't plan properly the installation, I will take your advice for a new installation. Thanks for the advice!. I have the systema and data under the same partition.

CarlosHP2000
April 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
| The objective is to try to overwrite any damage or modified file from the original core installation.

Before doing any re-install , I would suggest a recovery. (When you 'Restart' you get to see several lines - the first one is the regular boot , the second line is the recovery ; highlight that line and hit Enter

Let us know

Hi thanks!, just a question, my installation is a full Ubuntu install (no dual boot) this recovery option does apply also to this case? I just was checking but I can not see this recovery options.