PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Adjust position of libnotify popups?

isbura
April 11th, 2010, 05:52 PM
More and more applications seem to be using libnotify for their pop-up notifications. While standardization is good, it's driving me mad that I can't find a way to move the location of the pop-ups.

I have a dual-monitor setup where I spend most of my time looking at my primary monitor but all notifications keep popping up slightly offscreen in the top-right corner of my second monitor (which is at a slightly lower resolution than the primary). So, not only are they way out of my line of sight but I can't even read them on the rare occasion I do happen to notice them.

My first instinct was to try and mouseover them and drag them to a new location. However, this simply causes them to vanish and reappear when I move the mouse off them again - very unintuitive behaviour!

After that, I tried searching through gconf-editor for some way to change the coordinates but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know how/where to change their location? Ideally I'd like them to appear just below or above one of the GNOME panels, which seems like the logical place for them to be.

stilling
April 11th, 2010, 06:07 PM
try and see this maybe can help you

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1378676

isbura
April 12th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the link. None of the patches helped much, but you did point me in the right direction - I was searching for libnotify problems rather than the real culprit notify-osd.

After reading up on notify-osd, it seems part of the rationale behind it is that the position should explicitly not be under user control. I could live with that if the system was implemented well, but having notifications appear partially (or completely) off-screen on the wrong monitor suggests that it needs more work.

In the meantime I'm going to attempt to revert back to the old notification-daemon / notification-properties by following:

U can revert to the older style notification by (commands in terminal):

1. Install the notification-daemon package:

sudo apt-get install notification-daemon

2. Rename the /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd executable

sudo mv /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd-original

3. Create a symbolic link:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/notification-daemon/notification-daemon /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd

4. Kill the original notification:

sudo killall notify-osd

5. Launch the new notification - press alt+F2, type /usr/lib/notify-osd/notify-osd

6. Test:

notify-send test test

With this older notification type u can use the notification-ptoperties tool to set the location of the notification pop ups

shimoda
March 15th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Any advance on adjusting libnotify...?

Or the only solution is to replace it?

thanks!

Krytarik
March 15th, 2011, 10:13 PM

How about this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10115367

Is the level of adjustability high enough in your case?

MestreLion
June 16th, 2012, 04:39 AM
thanks!

You don't need to replace libnotify, the bug is in notify-osd, and a workaround was made there is a setting at dconf that changes the notify-osd behavior.

Look here for the steps:

http://askubuntu.com/a/151542/11015

(and, if it works for you, I would be glad if you upvote my answer)

Perfect Storm
June 16th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Necromancing.

Thread closed.