PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu nod in web comic

cwrann
April 11th, 2010, 04:12 PM
It' been a while since I've had to post a question in the forums (May '09) which goes to show how far the OS has come with regards to ease of use.

I've been using Ubuntu since Fiesty and have faithfully upgraded with every new edition, it just keeps getting better.

I make a web comic called Aquarium Drinking and wanted to give a shout out to Ubuntu in it. It is written in Open office, and colored, lettered etc. in Gimp all on an Ubuntu OS. In addition I use Filezilla for an ftp and Wordpress for publishing, now that I think about it "Aquarium Drinking" is created using 100% open source software without even intentionally trying.

Anyway, I gave Ubuntu a little "easter egg" type of shout out in one of my recent pages and thought people here might get a kick out of it. Just an image on a t-shirt, just enough to let those who know how great Ubuntu is that I know how great it is.

Check it out, click on the link below.
Aquarium Drinking (http://aquariumdrinking.com/comic/chapter-2/page-23-3/)

phibxr
April 11th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Awesome stuff! Friendly nods are always appreciated.

Getting the brand recognized is important in marketing. People do pay for this kind of exposure. :)

Sporkman
April 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Nice comic, I like the story line - keep up the good work.

keithpeter
April 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM
It is written in Open office, and colored, lettered etc. in Gimp all on an Ubuntu OS.

Remarkable. When you say 'written' on Open Office, is that drawn? I'm well impressed.

cwrann
April 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Remarkable. When you say 'written' on Open Office, is that drawn? I'm well impressed.

I wish I could do that in Open Office, I just meant that I use the Open Office word processor to write the scripts. The pages are drawn by hand and scanned into Gimp, where I clean up all my mistakes, color, and import the text from open office into my word balloons.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Phrea
April 11th, 2010, 06:26 PM
It's almost a plug ! :D
Very sweet indeed sir, keep up the good work !

immoweichert
April 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM
"oh crap its 2 already - I haven't showered or gotten dressed or brushed my teeth" looks like me this weekend trying to get to know Ubuntu (which I am thoroughly enjoying !!!).

Nice work... bookmarked and I'm waiting for more :KS

cwrann
April 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM
It truly did just occur to me when I first posted this that everything I use to make this comic is Open Source. I guess it happened so organically and I've been using Ubuntu for so long that I never thought twice about it. Now that I am thinking about it and I would like to give everything I use a proper plug I think that I will finally get around to making an "about" page in which I give credit to all the open source software that I use and have links to where these things are available.

Phrea
April 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM
It truly did just occur to me when I first posted this that everything I use to make this comic is Open Source. I guess it happened so organically and I've been using Ubuntu for so long that I never thought twice about it. Now that I am thinking about it and I would like to give everything I use a proper plug I think that I will finally get around to making an "about" page in which I give credit to all the open source software that I use and have links to where these things are available.

That would be awesome. :)
Keep it up.

cwrann
April 15th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone from Ubuntu forums who checked out my comic. I put up a page with links to all the open source and free software that I use to create the comic. The page is accessed by hitting the about button. The reader then has three choices of links; "The Story", "The Source", or "The Creator". The "Source" link takes the reader to the page about open source and free software. "Source" was the best I could come up with for a brief but intriguing title but I'm open to suggestions.

Here's a link directly to the page let me know if I'm forgetting something obvious (I almost forgot to list Firefox) or completely wrong about something:

The Source (http://aquariumdrinking.com/about/thesource/)

Thanks
-CW

Phrea
April 15th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks everyone from Ubuntu forums who checked out my comic. I put up a page with links to all the open source and free software that I use to create the comic. The page is accessed by hitting the about button. The reader then has three choices of links; "The Story", "The Source", or "The Creator". The "Source" link takes the reader to the page about open source and free software. "Source" was the best I could come up with for a brief but intriguing title but I'm open to suggestions.

Here's a link directly to the page let me know if I'm forgetting something obvious (I almost forgot to list Firefox) or completely wrong about something:

The Source (http://aquariumdrinking.com/about/thesource/)

Thanks
-CW

Add a "The Game" link, just to mess with peoples heads. :lolflag:

cwrann
April 16th, 2010, 11:28 PM

Or I could add a "The Smell" link.

Chronon
April 17th, 2010, 01:20 AM

Well, thanks. I just lost.