PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgraded now Firefox Freezes. Karmic Koala

Dyffo
April 11th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I responded to Update Manager and upgraded my machine - since I have done this I cannot get my Firefox or any derivative to work. ALL the bookmarks FREEZE when opening. I have De installed and Reinstalled etc but to no success.The only Web browser that works is Epiphany !!.This is no use for Hotmail Accounts.
Is there any way I can Roll Back the machine state to what it was before the Upgrade. My problem is I have NO idea what the updates were !

gregoryigelmund
April 12th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I've had a similar problem, so I started firefox in safe-mode:

firefox -safe-mode
I deactivated all addons and could start firefox without problems.

When I tried to enable step-by-step I recognized that firefox freezes again when I enabled the "Shockwave Flash Plugin" (10.0 r45).

So the freeze seems somehow related to that plugin and since I deactivated this everything is back to normal behaviour.

P.S. Maybe not too bad I cannot use the flash player anymore. +1 for productivity since you dont depend on using flash for you work! :)

Dyffo
April 12th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks for this will give it a try later on today. In the meantime as we often find Good comes from Adversity - I tried out "OPERA" - loaded this from their website. I find it to be VERY GOOD - I wish I had found it sooner.

MaggiesDad
April 12th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I too have had the same problem and you fix worked fine not even sure how much I use Flash anyway so thank you gregory, for your help
:)

Dyffo
April 12th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks - problem solved. Removed Flash and now all is well. The recent update must have screwed up Flash in some way - but don't think I use it - not noticed anything not working - Yet !

blue_bullet
April 12th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Disabling flash plug in seemed to work for me as well. My multiple tabs are no longer remembered between sessions however. Thank you for your help.

gregoryigelmund
April 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for this will give it a try later on today. In the meantime as we often find Good comes from Adversity - I tried out "OPERA" - loaded this from their website. I find it to be VERY GOOD - I wish I had found it sooner.

Thats the some "workaround" I am using now, since the flash plugin for opera is still working ;)

cationline
April 25th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I use Firefox with Flash ...all... the time. Can't work without it. Any suggestions on how I can remove and reload a stable version of flash? It seems my Karmic has two versions of flash...10.0 r45 & 9.0 r999...

How do I remove and reload these? Any suggestions?