PDA

View Full Version : c++ problem

mwanafunzi
March 16th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Hi all,
I am following this tutorial http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCS/cpp/english/chap07.htm. The problem I am having is that when I am not able to use the pstring as has been mentioned in the book. I am getting (in microsoft visual c++) undeclared variable and at home I was getting an error as well. I think it was a variable out of scope. Can anyone help me with this...
Here is sample code

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
pstring first;
first = "Hello, ";
pstring second = "world.";
cout << first << second <<endl;
return 0;
}

and the error message is
error C2065: 'pstring' : undeclared identifier
error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'first'
error C2065: 'first' : undeclared identifier
error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'char [8]' to 'int'
This conversion requires a reinterpret_cast, a C-style cast or function-style cast
error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'second'
error C2065: 'second' : undeclared identifier
error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'char [7]' to 'int'
This conversion requires a reinterpret_cast, a C-style cast or function-style cast
Error executing cl.exe.

any suggestions.

hod139
March 16th, 2006, 02:58 AM
You need to go to this website http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/pclasses/
and download the pstring.h header, which defines the pstring type. Copy this header to the same location as your source file. Then at the top of your source file, write
#include "pstring.h"

EDIT: I should add I found this out by reading the following paragraph in the link you posted

The string type we are going to use is called pstring, which is an open-source alternative to a type created specifically for the Computer Science AP Exam. The pclasses, as the entire group of open-source classes are called, can be found in the appendix section of this book. You can also visit their homepage at http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/pclasses/.

If you run across any other p-types you will have to download the appropriate files from that website.

mwanafunzi
March 16th, 2006, 04:21 AM
cheers,
will do that once i get home.

mwanafunzi
March 20th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Hi again,
I am having some problems, installing pstring.h. What I have done is to copy the file into the same directory as my source file and I added
#include <pstring.h> in the actual file. I am still getting the same error as before.
Any ideas as to where I went wrong.

to recap - in my directory I have myfile.cpp and pstring.h
and in myfile.cpp I have #include <pstring.h>

cheers

edit: here is the error message, there seems to be a slight difference.

exFunc.cpp:2:21: error: pstring.h: No such file or directory
exFunc.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
exFunc.cpp:8: error: ‘pstring’ was not declared in this scope
exFunc.cpp:8: error: expected `;' before ‘first’
exFunc.cpp:9: error: ‘first’ was not declared in this scope
exFunc.cpp:10: error: expected `;' before ‘second’
exFunc.cpp:11: error: ‘second’ was not declared in this scop

zootreeves
March 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM
try #include pstring.h

mwanafunzi
March 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for that suggestion, but it does not work.
I am getting the following error

exFunc.cpp:2:10: error: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>

edit: an on the side note, here is the code

#include pstring.h
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
pstring first;
first = "hello, ";
pstring second ="world.";
cout << first << second << endl;
}

the previous directive was
#include <pstring.h>

Gustav
March 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
put "'s around pstring.h

hod139
March 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Look at my first post, I wrote

#include "pstring.h"
"pstring.h" is very different from <pstring.h>. The former tells the preprocessor to look in the current directory for the file. The latter tells it to look in the system directory (usually /usr/include) and any other include directories specified by the flag -I.

A good rule of thumb is to use "" for files you write, and <> for system includes.

mwanafunzi
March 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I neglected to say that i tried the \
#include "pstring.h"
and the error that I got was this
pstring.h:75: error: expected initializer before ‘&’ token
pstring.h:76: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘&’ token
pstring.h:77: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘&’ token
pstring.h:89: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘&’ token
pstring.h:95: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘&’ token
pstring.h:105: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘&’ token
pstring.h: In member function ‘pstringT<T> pstringT<T>::substr(int, int) const’:
pstring.h:193: error: ‘cerr’ was not declared in this scope
pstring.h:194: error: ‘endl’ was not declared in this scope
pstring.h: In member function ‘T& pstringT<T>::operator[](int)’:
pstring.h:302: error: ‘cerr’ was not declared in this scope
pstring.h:303: error: ‘endl’ was not declared in this scope
pstring.h: In member function ‘const T pstringT<T>::operator[](int) const’:
pstring.h:314: error: ‘cerr’ was not declared in this scope
pstring.h:315: error: ‘endl’ was not declared in this scope
exFunc.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
exFunc.cpp:12: error: no match for ‘operator<<’ in ‘std::cout << first’
/usr/include/c++/4.0.2/bits/ostream.tcc:67: note: candidates are: std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& (*)(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&)) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]
/usr/include/c++/4.0.2/bits/ostream.tcc:78: note: std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>::operator<<(std::basic_ios<_CharT, _Traits>& (*)(std::basic_ios<_CharT, _Traits>&)) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>]...and it goes on for quite a bit.....

edit: I think i will put down exactly what i did...
I went to the site mentioned above..and did a save link as...saved the file in the same directory as myfile.cpp.
I have tried the following directives
"pstring.h" <pstring.h> and pstring.h
I hope that i have covered all the steps that I took.

thanks for the help

hod139
March 20th, 2006, 05:27 PM
The problem is with pstring.h, not your code. pstring.h isn't using the namespace std. The easiest way to fix the errors is to add

using namespace std;
right after the #includes.

The "better" way would be to not use the "using" keyword, but to add

std::

in front of each method that is calling a function defined in the std namespace. For example, line 75 would become

template <class T> inline std::ostream & operator << (std::ostream &, const pstringT<T> &);

mwanafunzi
March 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys for the help.. I (I really can't say I :) ) got it working.

cheers

Roptaty
March 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM
Why not use the std::string class instead of pstring? The class is at least maintained and standard. After quickly looking through the pstring class I could find one buffer overflow.

If you have just learning C++, I would strongly encourage you to learn to use classes that are standard in C++ (STL). You can find numerous threads concerning learning C++ in this forum. Thinking in C++, Deitel & Deitel How to program are two fine books. You can find Thinking in C++ for free on the internet.

Good luck with your programming!