PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I've Ubuntu 8.04, Is upgrading Ubuntu necessary ?

soona86
April 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Hi,
I have Ubuntu 8.04 CD & I want to install it. I'm still learning the basics and I don't want to upgrade the version. You know, the newer the version the more space it takes.

So, My question is :
Is it really necessary to upgrade versions?

coffeecat
April 11th, 2010, 10:34 AM
You know, the newer the version the more space it takes.

Where did you get that idea from? The size of the desktop CD and the amount of hard disc space a default installation takes has been approximately the same since the early days of Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is not Windows.

But to answer your question, version 8.04 will be supported for about another year (if I remember correctly) so it's perfectly OK to learn the basics. But you might want to consider trying the new long-term support version, 10.04, when it is released in a couple of weeks.

new_tolinux
April 11th, 2010, 10:37 AM
That depends on what you're doing.

For learning "just" the basics almost any version could do, and you don't need to upgrade for that.
But keep in mind that when 8.04 reaches EOL (april 2011 for the desktop and april 2013 for the server) it also reaches end-of-support.
So no security fixes, no updates, possibly no support on this forum for that version, etc.

soona86
April 11th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Where did you get that idea from? The size of the desktop CD and the amount of hard disc space a default installation takes has been approximately the same since the early days of Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is not Windows.

Hi,
Sorry I didn't know that about Ubuntu. I thought so because It's just the same thing in most of programs.
I understand I can control the size of the installation & I'm thinking of a full 8GBs (as in my CD) install. So, About my question: Is upgrading necessary? :)

lbu
April 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hey, don't upgrade if you don't need to for using (new) progs or new functionality. That's a general guideline. At the same time you should realize that existing bugs and security risks in the software may/will not be fixed for the version you use.
I recommend upgrading when you feel ready to do so.
If space is your concern, I would not worry too much, up till now the guys at Canonical do a great job keeping the distribution on one CD. And you can always un-install the stuff you don't use.

Lucien

soona86
April 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
That depends on what you're doing.

For learning "just" the basics almost any version could do, and you don't need to upgrade for that.
But keep in mind that when 8.04 reaches EOL (april 2011 for the desktop and april 2013 for the server) it also reaches end-of-support.
So no security fixes, no updates, possibly no support on this forum for that version, etc.

Hey, don't upgrade if you don't need to for using (new) progs or new functionality. That's a general guideline. At the same time you should realize that existing bugs and security risks in the software may/will not be fixed for the version you use.
I recommend upgrading when you feel ready to do so.
If space is your concern, I would not worry too much, up till now the guys at Canonical do a great job keeping the distribution on one CD. And you can always un-install the stuff you don't use.

Lucien

I see..thanks guys for the advice! very grateful! :)

howefield
April 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM
So, About my question: Is upgrading necessary? :)

Absolutely not, if what you have works then use it.

April 2011 will see version 8.04 go end of life which means that it won't be supported with security fixes and patches.

You have a full year before you need to think about upgrading and even then you won't have to just because it becomes end of life. It will still work.

It simply means you may be at risk of becoming exposed to some hole in the operating system that won't be fixed. Best practice would be to upgrade to a supported edition in order to stay "safe", before April 2011. (Although I'd want to test a new system a little before the current one becomes obsolete)

soona86
April 11th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Absolutely not, if what you have works then use it.

April 2011 will see version 8.04 go end of life which means that it won't be supported with security fixes and patches.

You have a full year before you need to think about upgrading and even then you won't have to just because it becomes end of life. It will still work.

It simply means you may be at risk of becoming exposed to some hole in the operating system that won't be fixed. Best practice would be to upgrade to a supported edition in order to stay "safe", before April 2011. (Although I'd want to test a new system a little before the current one becomes obsolete)

Thanks so much
I must say I'm very pleased & thankful for the information you guys tell me here..It's really important to understand & share even a very little piece of information that maybe someone needs it so bad! :)
Communicating with other experienced users is much more helpful & time-saving than reading hundreds of help articles! :)
Thanks again :)

soona86
April 11th, 2010, 11:03 AM
See you after the install! :D hehehe

new_tolinux
April 11th, 2010, 11:04 AM
See you after the install! :D hehehe
Good luck :)

Tux118
April 11th, 2010, 12:23 PM
If I were you, I would wait to upgrade until April 29th, when the new LTS comes out. Since Hardy Heron, Ubuntu 8.04 is a LTS as well, you can upgrade directly from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04.