PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install a firewall

anirban00
April 11th, 2010, 08:11 AM
hi all, i am new to ubuntu

i want to install a firewall on my system, so how do i go about it.:)

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
April 11th, 2010, 08:15 AM
iptables (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IptablesHowTo) is already on your system. A good gui for it is gufw.
sudo apt-get install gufw A good resource for it is
man ufw And I'm sure there's tons of guides all over the interweb for gufw.

spiky001
April 11th, 2010, 08:15 AM
hi is there a reason you need a firewalll linux is preety safe by default it,s ot like windows?
if you do need 1 there is gufw in the repos

mbzn
April 11th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hi linux's 'iptables' is already installed and stronger than a firewall on most home computers. for server needs, iptables can be confugured with apps such as firestarter.

hope this may be of help http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

HermanAB
April 11th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Hmm, first you need to figure out whether you really need it and what you want it to do.

The 'firewall' is actually already present. All you need to do is configure the netfilter rules. By default, the Ubuntu system doesn't need any special firewall rules.

Soooo, if you don't really know what your are doing yet and don't know whether you need it, or what it is all about, install Gufw.

Otherwise, doing nothing is also a safe bet.

If you want to learn about all the gory details, Google for "Rusty Russell's Notoriously Unreliable Web Site".

lisati
April 11th, 2010, 08:22 AM
If you're behind a router, you're probably fairly safe - many routers these days come with firewall capabilities.

3rdalbum
April 11th, 2010, 10:25 AM
By default, Ubuntu doesn't listen to any incoming ports anyway; it'll ignore all incoming connections, which is what a firewall does.

On Windows, you need a firewall because there are parts of Windows that listen to incoming connections without actually needing to. They are a security problem. On Ubuntu nothing listens unless you tell it to, or install some software that always listens (a "server"), and the programs that listen to incoming ports are usually locked down pretty well.

So unless you've installed some server software or turned on Remote Desktop, your system will already be acting as though it has a firewall.

Volcom3
April 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
If your not running a server look into APPARMOR or UFW "Ubuntu Fire Wall"