PDA

View Full Version : Reboot and select proper boot device

the.ronn
April 11th, 2010, 07:22 AM
After several years, I've FINALLY taken the plunge into Linux. I just got an Asus 1001p netbook so I figured this would be a great opportunity to get my feet wet. With that said, please bare with me - while I'm fairly comfortable with various flavors of Windows installations, this is my first time trying to set up any Linux distribution.

Short of it is, when I try to boot, I get the message "Reboot and select proper boot device" message.

I downloaded "ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.iso" and burned it to a CDR which I used to install onto the netbook. I chose the regular install option as opposed to the try ubuntu option (or something along those lines). As far as I could tell, the install went fine. I got to the desktop and noodled around some of the sections. But I noticed while I was checking out the sections, it was still reading from the external DVD/CD reader. As mentioned, when I try to reboot, I get the "Reboot and select proper boot device" message.

The boot priority is set appropriately in bios, the turbo boot has been disabled, I tried setting the SSD both to AHCI and IDE. In case it matters, I just upgraded my 1001p with 2GB of RAM (checked to make sure it worked fine before attempting the UNR install) and also replaced the HDD with a 60GB Vertex SSD.

Thanks for any advice.

oldfred
April 12th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Is the error message from the BIOS. Windows requires a boot flag on a primary partition, linux/grub does not, but some BIOS check that a primary partition has a boot flag as it thinks the system is not bootable.

The * is the boot flag is you already have one. From terminal in LiveCD.

Sudo fdisk -l

If you need one you can use gparted from live CD & right click on the partition to manage flags.