PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone name things I can do on my computer other than use the internet?

TheNerdAL
April 11th, 2010, 05:15 AM
I find that my computer is used mostly for internet, but I want more than that. I am starting to play first person shooters and, when I get more ram, I will watch tv shows on Hulu Desktop. I also want to get a tv tuner and watch tv on my computer. :D Can anyone name anything else? Thanks, it would help if you name things that you do.

PS: I also design and stuff so I have Blender and Gimp already.

oleink
April 11th, 2010, 05:18 AM
look at python programming. free pdf of book called "byte of python." Programming is sweet. Also messing with the graphics of your gui like screenlets docks and compiz is alot of fun

uRock
April 11th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Mix music with Audacity, map your home network with NMAP, watch all of the bad packets during a torrent with Wireshark,While running Wireshark open Network Tools and WHOIS on each non local IP that shows up.

TheNerdAL
April 11th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Something that will entertain me. xD

witeshark17
April 11th, 2010, 05:21 AM
All of your notes, letters and e-mails etc can be prepared offline. :KS

uRock
April 11th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Get mad at those unknown IPs and start pinging them and wonder why there is no ICMP packet sent back from them. Turn on another PC one your home network and then install Zenmap on one of them and do port scans to see just how good the firewall is. Turn the power off and go do something else.

oleink
April 11th, 2010, 05:23 AM
setup your music with amarok.:popcorn:

uRock
April 11th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Use Google Earth to find out who has the nicest pool in your neighborhood. Find where your car is parked on Google Earth.

oleink
April 11th, 2010, 05:26 AM
play with the software center too!:P

Khakilang
April 11th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Create video movie from your camcorder, Gimp, Blender (haven't try yet), watch movie, listen to radio, write program, create wall paper, create theme and the list goes on. If you got the time.

cariboo
April 11th, 2010, 07:15 AM
If you can't find things to do without using the internet, you may have to take the nerd part out of the middle of your user name. :) :) :).

I rip new DVD's when I get them, do bookkeeping, create advertising/newspaper articles, scan slides/old photos, play games, watch movies/tv shows, listen to music, learn new things, read books and much much more.

I've had high speed access for the last 5 years, but I still remember being on dialup with only one phone line, and unreliable cell phone service so I still know there is more to computing than the internet. And btw I've had internet access since 1994, so it is kind of hard to remember what life was like before the internet. :)

uRock
April 11th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I remember the days of people tapping their toes in line behind you because you made the cashier break out the Credit Card machine. Kinda like today when someone breaks out a check book at the grocery store.

Go to the games menu and play gbrainy.

Random_Dude
April 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Get some work done.:-\"

The Real Dave
April 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Rip off some DVDs and let your PC encode them, that should take a while :)

Then go get yourself some popcorn and start watching :)

wojox
April 11th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Install LAMP and start your own website.

keithpeter
April 11th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Install LAMP and start your own website.

+1

Or just go to wordpress.com, set up a blog, and start posting walkthroughs and tutorials on GIMP and Blender. You would become famous very quickly. Good content is hard to find.

ssj6akshat
April 11th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Mess you computer then try to fix it.If you are a true nerd

new_tolinux
April 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Unplug all the cables, put it in your living room and use it as a chair :P

azagaros
April 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Between playing games and programming are the usual things I do with a computer. Doing websites and stuff is there. Business things too.

Browsing the web is a low priority.

trig
April 11th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Unplug all the cables, put it in your living room and use it as a chair :P

My tower is a piece of crap, but i will try that when my wife falls to sleep. Oh and you can play the sweet mah jongg game.

azertyh
April 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM
watching the screensaver.

immoweichert
April 11th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Archive all those important papers that you just do not dare to put in the bin with scan2pdf, whilst you listen with Rhythmbox to all your old CDs you've ripped onto your harddisk.

helliewm
April 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Watch some dvds? Set up a pbx telephone server system.

Helen

sixthwheel
April 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Create a new partition, install Windows 95 (If you can't find the disk, look in the garage on the top shelf in a dusty cardboard box)then go ahead and delete it, and resize your partition again
Should take the whole day.:P

new_tolinux
April 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Modify your pc into a combination PC/Coffee maker :P

examples (http://www.pcmsx-nijmegen.nl/humor/coffee/koffie.htm)

immoweichert
April 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Modify your pc into a combination PC/Coffee maker :P

examples (http://www.pcmsx-nijmegen.nl/humor/coffee/koffie.htm)
Now I finally understand what these Ubuntu Beans are for !!! :lolflag:

Chronon
April 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Create some music.

sanderella
April 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Write a book. :KS

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I spent the majority of my time using computers offline. Be productive. Use it to help yourself and others. There are many great suggestions in this thread. I used to number crunch (convert audio and video etc) for my friends who had lesser hardware.

23dornot23d
April 12th, 2010, 06:58 AM
You like Blender - join in with the projects I am currently working on and help me get them working properly ......

I am really finding creating a realistic sea in Blender a challenge .....

http://sites.google.com/site/blenderlearn/assignments

one day I might be able to create my own animation and put the World to rights ...... people should help each other ......

to help each other ..... ;) :)

the8thstar
April 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Edit grub, gdm and gtk files to no end until your system looks the way you always wanted.