PDA

View Full Version : Byte of Python?

oleink
April 11th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Is this actually good for a newbie and is it up to date enough?

-grubby
April 11th, 2010, 03:09 AM
A Byte of Python is definitely worth the $0 you can read it for on the website: http://www.ibiblio.org/g2swap/byteofpython/read/

Afaik, it's based on Python 2.3, and while Python 2.x has had a lot of changes since then, none of them are radical enough that they change the basic syntax or really make it much different to write beginners programs.

3rdalbum
April 11th, 2010, 04:43 AM
If you know some basic programming constructs (like if-else, while, for etc) then you could have a look at Dive Into Python, which is even available in the repositories.

oleink
April 11th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah I got the pdf version of byte of python. and then proceeded to crash my computer by accidently uninstalling version 2.6 so now i have no gui. Luckily the developers of ubuntu made fixes for morons like myself. I could access my files through live cd and move them to my live usb so i did not lose data when i reinstalled ubuntu:guitar:

ssj6akshat
April 11th, 2010, 07:54 AM
There is Edition available for Python 3 too.
this book is awesome.It is definitely for a newbie(I my case a Teenager)

Random_Dude
April 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I'm a noob at programming (I only know a bit of C and MATLAB), but I'm curious: What advantages does python have when compared with other programming languages (like C++ or Java)?

I've heard a lot about python (especially when I started exploring more Ubuntu), but I never had the time to learn more about it.

phibxr
April 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Is this actually good for a newbie and is it up to date enough?

I can recommend A Byte of Python too. It's one of the best beginner books you can find at that... eh... price. :)

snova
April 11th, 2010, 07:43 PM
If you know some basic programming constructs (like if-else, while, for etc) then you could have a look at Dive Into Python, which is even available in the repositories.

I hear nothing but bad things about that book, from people I would consider fairly knowledgeable Python users.

There is Edition available for Python 3 too.
this book is awesome.It is definitely for a newbie(I my case a Teenager)

You generally shouldn't be using Python 3 yet; 2.x is preferable.

I'm a noob at programming (I only know a bit of C and MATLAB), but I'm curious: What advantages does python have when compared with other programming languages (like C++ or Java)?

Less work.

medic2000
April 11th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Dive into python book is bad? Oh i thought it is the best book for python.

oleink
April 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I'm reading the python 3 book because by the time i finish it python 3 will be used more haha. Plus i couldnt find the python 2.x book

oleink
April 11th, 2010, 09:09 PM
PS a great programmer once told me it doesn't matter which language you start with just that you start. You can learn the other rather quickly as you become better at programming:popcorn:

medic2000
April 11th, 2010, 09:26 PM
But diveintopython became harder by the Chapter5. I am a newbie to programming maybe this book is for professionals only. I will try A Byte of Python

oleink
April 11th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Does anyone know what to do when saving in IDLE? I keep getting Errno 13 Permissions denied