PDA

View Full Version : Help with mouse input in C/C++

TehCodr
April 10th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Hi, I'm developing a game in c++, and to do so, I need to capture the mouse input, but I'm having trouble writing a script for that. I need to know the coordinates of the mouse in system memory (0xXXXXXX), so I can get the mouse input. The script would look something like this:

#ifndef MOUSE_LEFT_CLICK
#define MOUSE_LEFT_CLICK 0xXXXXXX //System coordinates for mouse left click
#endif

#ifndef MOUSE_RIGHT_CLICK
#define MOUSE_RIGHT_CLICK 0xXXXXXX //System coordinates for mouse right click
#endif

#ifndef MOUSE_MIDDLE_CLICK
#define MOUSE_MIDDLE_CLICK 0xXXXXXX //System coordinates for mouse middle click
#endif

#ifndef MOUSE_MOVE_LEFTRIGHT
#define MOUSE_MOVE_LEFTRIGHT 0xXXXXXX //System coordinates for mouse moving left and right
#endif

#ifndef MOUSE_MOVE_UPDOWN
#define MOUSE_MOVE_UPDOWN 0xXXXXXX //System coordinates for mouse moving up and down
#endif

If you know where the mouse button coordinates are in the system memory, how to use them for input, or how to improve the script, It'd be really helpful.

I am NOT using Microsoft Visual C++

Zugzwang
April 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
What platform/toolkit are you developing for? Mouse input/output is not part of the C++ standard, so it is platform dependent how you do that, which leads to the fact that you will need to provide more data to get a usable answer.

Note that in Linux, you generally need to call functions for performing such operations. Memory access to system memory is forbidden by the design of the operating system. If you are using "text mode" in the terminal, probably the "ncurses" library might be of help. In case you are using graphics anyway, you might want to look into the SDL library.

TehCodr
April 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM
What platform/toolkit are you developing for? Mouse input/output is not part of the C++ standard, so it is platform dependent how you do that, which leads to the fact that you will need to provide more data to get a usable answer.

Note that in Linux, you generally need to call functions for performing such operations. Memory access to system memory is forbidden by the design of the operating system. If you are using "text mode" in the terminal, probably the "ncurses" library might be of help. In case you are using graphics anyway, you might want to look into the SDL library.

Thanks, it's graphics-based, but I don't want to use SDL as an engine, graphics, or device support, but OpenAL and OpenGL instead, and I'm developing under all Unix-based computers... Is it possible to access the mouse or other devices through GL or AL, or write something for device support without them?

heikaman
April 12th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Is it possible to access the mouse or other devices through GL or AL, or write something for device support without them?

No, openal is an audio api, and opengl is a graphics api and you can use glut or talk to XServer directly, but I wouldn't recommend that.

If you're writing your own engine the most difficult part, in my opinion, is the design not the implementation, save sometime by not writing SDL, again, from scratch, and just use it for your windowing and input subsystems and abstract that behind interfaces until you yourself don't know what specific input implementation you're using !

This way if you ever need to port your engine you can do so easily.

Simian Man
April 12th, 2010, 12:10 AM
If you're writing your own engine the most difficult part, in my opinion, is the design not the implementation, save sometime by not writing SDL, again, from scratch, and just use it for your windowing and input subsystems and abstract that behind interfaces until you yourself don't know what specific input implementation you're using !

This is absolutely the best advice you can get.

TehCodr
April 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM
No, openal is an audio api, and opengl is a graphics api and you can use glut or talk to XServer directly, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Thanks for the advice :) I'll do that :D